Problems Installing My Front Door Speakers on 89 Mustang GT - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-27-2005 Thread Starter

Problems Installing My Front Door Speakers on 89 Mustang GT

hi, I just tried to install two old front speakers to my 89 mustang GT. The speakers worked fine when I hooked them up, but when I put them into the slot in the door panel and screw them into the metal part of the door, sparks come flying off the screw where it touches the door panel and the music becomes staticy and then goes dead.

When I bought the car, it came with a crappy little amp underneath the passenger seat that is supposed to power the rear speakers I believe. But the rear speakers dont seem to work with my stereo which is part of the Sony CXS-2000 Xplod package (those are the speakers I'm trying to install in the front too). When I plug in the amp to the RCA preout it seems to heat up my stereo ALOT but no sound comes out. The amp looks really crappy so I'm thinking there could be something wrong with it. It also has two very small speakers on the top of each corner of the dash. Those are the only speakers that work at the moment but they get staticy if I turn the volume up too high (which I like to do).

So my main concern is how to get the front door panel speakers hooked up so that i can screw them in and not have my stereo go dead. They work fine if I just let them hang outside the door panel, unfortunately that's not very practical, especially if I want to close my door (which I also like to do). So does anyone have any suggestions as to what may be wrong with my connections or whatever?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-27-2005
Apprentice
5.0L Member

Send a message via MSN to LqDFx Send a message via Yahoo to LqDFx
Make sure you have a good ground on the head unit and the rest of the car. Make sure that the plugs you have going to the speaker are not touching anything in the doors. I have a fealling that the amp under the seat does not have a good ground on it and the head unit has had the factory plugs cut. You are going to need to make sure it is hooked up right and the grounds are good everywhere!

Proud Mustang Owner since 1994
Current Ride:
1990 LX 5.0 - 3G Alt. Upgrade. More to come later!
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-27-2005
Apprentice
5.0L Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdndude1983
hi, I just tried to install two old front speakers to my 89 mustang GT. The speakers worked fine when I hooked them up, but when I put them into the slot in the door panel and screw them into the metal part of the door, sparks come flying off the screw where it touches the door panel and the music becomes staticy and then goes dead.

When I bought the car, it came with a crappy little amp underneath the passenger seat that is supposed to power the rear speakers I believe. But the rear speakers dont seem to work with my stereo which is part of the Sony CXS-2000 Xplod package (those are the speakers I'm trying to install in the front too). When I plug in the amp to the RCA preout it seems to heat up my stereo ALOT but no sound comes out. The amp looks really crappy so I'm thinking there could be something wrong with it. It also has two very small speakers on the top of each corner of the dash. Those are the only speakers that work at the moment but they get staticy if I turn the volume up too high (which I like to do).

So my main concern is how to get the front door panel speakers hooked up so that i can screw them in and not have my stereo go dead. They work fine if I just let them hang outside the door panel, unfortunately that's not very practical, especially if I want to close my door (which I also like to do). So does anyone have any suggestions as to what may be wrong with my connections or whatever?
If the speakers play before screwing them in, you are definitely grounding one of the wires or terminals on the back of the speaker when you screw it in. The thing with newer stereos (and ALL Amps) is that the grounds for all the speakers can neither be common to each other (As older stereos used to use) or grounded. You must have 2 wires per speaker all the way back to the head unit or amplifier. If you continue to try and play the unit with a grounded speaker, you WILL blow the amplifier in the head unit (Or Amp) for that channel.

Bottom line, NO GROUNDED SPEAKER WIRES!

1994 Mustang GT 5.0 Convertible
K&N Replacement Filter Element
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page