MACH 460 but sounds awful - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-28-2005 Thread Starter

Question MACH 460 but sounds awful

I have a '96 with the MACH 460 (now I have to tell you I'm completely clueless about stereos and speakers, didn't even know that was in the car until after I read some of the posts and thought "what's a MACH 460?" then I looked at my speakers and DUH!).
The car has the stock stereo, just a cassette, no CD player. The problem is it sounds AWFUL. The stock stereo and speakers in my truck sound SO much better than this mustang. When I turn up the volume and depending on how high (or even low) the bass is the speaker in the passenger side door like rattles and sounds distorted. I have to turn it down. I've played with the balance and fade of the speakers and all speakers sound find by themselves but once you put it all together that one speaker is messed up. I like to feel my music, I want the bass. Can't have it with that speaker. What do I do? I want to replace the stereo anyways, I want a CD player, but do I need to replace the speaker also? I assume the speaker is bad, I can't imagine it's sounded like that from day one. But why is it only bad when all of the speakers are working together? And how on earth do I get the door panel off to get at the speaker? I've spent an hour trying to figure it out, I'm not that stupid. I've taken apart the dash, stereo, doors and speakers of other vehicles but this mustang, I just can't figure out.
I'm cheap so I really don't want to pay someone else to do it for me, especially when I know I can do it myself. If someone just tells me how. i've stuck a screwdriver in the panel, found things that look like they are locking tabs of some sort but I can't get it undone!
can anyone help me?

I babble, sorry about that.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-28-2005
Apprentice
5.0L Member

I'm not exactly sure about the 96 as I have a 00. If it is similar, here is what you do.

First, pry out the sail panel (The panel right next to the side view mirror)

Pull the trim from around the door handle.

Behind the power window switches (The whole ass'y just pulls out) there are a few screws which must be removed.

In the front of the door panel (The part you can't see when the door is closed...faces forward when door closed) there is one of those pop fasteners down low that just pries out like a stake.

Once you have got these out, you must push up on the whole door panel as it has clips which are part of the door and grab when you push the panel down.

Beyond that, 4 screws in the speaker (6 X 8).

Now it may be a little different on your year, but the same basic principle should apply.

Hope this helps! :laughlitt

Ken

1994 Mustang GT 5.0 Convertible
K&N Replacement Filter Element
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-29-2005 Thread Starter

Thanks so much. I'll give it a try. I drive this car so much that I have got to have good sound in it. I'm not looking to shake the houses when i drive by. I just want to crank it up and not have that speaker freakin out. I'm determined to get that door apart! I'll let you know how i make out.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-29-2005
Apprentice
5.0L Member

No problem. Let us know how you make out.

1994 Mustang GT 5.0 Convertible
K&N Replacement Filter Element
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-13-2005 Thread Starter

:laughlitt Hi! I was finally able to work on my car. I got the doors apart. All I had to do was remove that one speaker, that was blown and NOW that car sounds great. those speakers in the doors were putting out VERY little sound, they were just making it so I couldn't turn it up any lounder. Now I can turn the volume and bass up and that baby is awsome now! I did however by new speakers to put in the doors and those put out very little sound as well. There's no point in them. What's up with that? Why can't I get sound out of those?

Thanks for the help with the door. It really was easier than I thought. I was just afraid of breaking it.
Have a great day/night!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page