Hiding the stereo - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-03-2013 Thread Starter
hnQ
Rookie

Hiding the stereo

Hey guys,
My v6/96 just got broken into couple days ago.
Very frustrated, yet still being lucky that they did not take the car,
just the stereo.
Wondering anyone can chip-in some opinion about installing a
new stereo in the trunk, and control it via a wireless remote control?
The guy in BestBuy told me no remote control signal can goes through
the back seat, but he's not very sure (?).
I m not a music enthusiast, but for the least of it, I do enjoy a good sound
system.
I wonder if bluetooth can do anything to help the "control" part possible,
Thanks.

P.S.: perhaps someone can tell me where I can hide the stereo, just enough
exposure to receive remote control signal.
Thanks again.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-04-2013
Apprentice
V6 Member

Were your stereo aftermarket or stock? Anyway, just buy one of those stereo with removable faceplate and just hide it in the trunk or take it with you after driving your car.

Play hard, Rock harder.
2002 Mustang V6, AT
K&N Air Intake/Tokico HP Series Shocks & Struts
Mach 1 Chin Spoiler/Fog Lights
Dual Flowmaster 40 Series Delta Flow
(That's all folks!)
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-04-2013
PONY Member

You can probably go super old school and get a cd changer that mounts to the upper roof of the trunk. Most decent after market stereos come with "remotes" but I doubt they have far signals and the actually function and use of remotes would be hard to know what you're doing without actually seeing the head unit.
Like stated, best to just get a detachable face plate. It's a PITA to keep removing.

In my civic I actually would always remove mine an place it in the case provided and stow it in the arm rest. Someone broke in and tore out the whole dash, and knew exactly where I put the face plate.... They had to be watching me for a while to know where it was exactly. Best bet is to bring it with you if you have no alarm.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

2007 GT Performance White
Pype Bomb Axleback
JLT Series 3 CAI
Bama 93 Hybrid Tune
Steeda Underdrive Pulleys

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-04-2013
PONY Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Put the stock HU back in its place. Maybe hide the aftermarket one locked in the glove box. Easy enough to get the wires extended there. Do speakers that dont require name brand covers or tweeters with branded logos. Subs and amps in the trunk...

Just a thought

2011 Kona Blue MT82 V6 Mustang Pony Package 3:31 Gear Ratio, Interior Upgrade Pkg, Security & Shaker500/Sync
Mods (in order of installed): AM Bama SCT SF3 Tuner w/ 87 Hybrid Tune, Airaid CAI, Hurst Billet Plus 2 Short Throw Shifter, Lethal O/R H Pipe w/ Stock Exhaust, Blacked-Out Tints on Rear Windows, Full Ceramic Tint on Front Windows, Metra Touchscreen Dash Adaptor, Single DIN Head Unit, 6.5'' Component Speakers Fronts, Stock Rear Speakers, 10'' Sealed Subwoofer, 4ch. and 1ch Amplifier. LED licence plate lights, LED interior dome lights, FRPP/Dynamic shocks and struts, SR Performance lowering springs, GT500 Strut Mounts, BMR Adjustable Panhard Bar, BMR LCA's, BMR Relocation Brackets. Rear Seat Delete.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-10-2013
GT Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Garage
Thi is what I did, for about $150 I put a quick release wheel in the car myself, haven't had any problems with break ins even with my gps visible for all to see, my suv was actualle broken into the other day, sitting right next to my car. They look at the wheel missing and assume its set up for racing, not listenin to music...

2002 V6 Oxford White (Traded in for $5300 off the 2014)
2014 GT Ruby Red, planned 1st mod, MGW Shifter.
Biggest Pet peeve, People stealing the parking spot I'm waiting for.

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-12-2013
Rookie

I think just getting a new radio with a removeable faceplate would be best, that way you can just take it with you when you go, and thieves may not try stealing your radio if they see it's missing that key component - at least, that's how I see it. Don't think they'd want to go through the trouble of having to find parts for what they steal.

1999 Mustang V6 3.8L (Rei-II)
1st 99 V6 (Rei-I) - RIP
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-12-2013
PONY Member
5.0L Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox5 View Post
I think just getting a new radio with a removeable faceplate would be best, that way you can just take it with you when you go, and thieves may not try stealing your radio if they see it's missing that key component - at least, that's how I see it. Don't think they'd want to go through the trouble of having to find parts for what they steal.
Lol you would think but my car was broken in to and the shifter is blocking the radio so they stole the faceplate nothing worse than riding around with a radio and no faceplate

93 GT W/blown up aod
4R70W with fully manual vb swap underway also switching to 3.27 gears
70mm turbo, Stock heads/cam, explorer intake, 75mm TB, 3" pro tube maf, 42lb injectors, Walbro 255lph fuel pump, 3g alt upgrade, single 3" pipe with a race bullet dumped at the axel, Full Length sub-frames, 3.73s, Taurus Electric fan W/ DCC Controller, UPR control arms, 17x9 03 Cobra wheels with 245/40's up front and 275/40 nitto NT05R's in the rear.
YOUTUBE Channel is Pedrorules08, Check out my vids!
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-12-2013
GT Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Garage
You could get a video camera and put it either in or facing your car, I had to do that when this guy flattened all my tires and broke my window on my 2 cars... I know who it is but the Oakland police are lazy asses.....

2002 V6 Oxford White (Traded in for $5300 off the 2014)
2014 GT Ruby Red, planned 1st mod, MGW Shifter.
Biggest Pet peeve, People stealing the parking spot I'm waiting for.

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-12-2013
Apprentice

Garage
Years ago, when I installed an aftermarket stereo in my car at the time, I put in my glove compartment. Many people wondered how I got that much sound from the factory am/FM radio that came stock in the car. I just told them it was because it was a blaupunkt. Which it was.

2006 GT
LLR #00777

Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draghon View Post
You could get a video camera and put it either in or facing your car, I had to do that when this guy flattened all my tires and broke my window on my 2 cars... I know who it is but the Oakland police are lazy asses.....
Pretty sure that's police everywhere, though. I know who tried/failed setting my car on fire (long story), since I had JUST pissed them off the night before, but since I didn't actually SEE them the cops basically did nothing.

1999 Mustang V6 3.8L (Rei-II)
1st 99 V6 (Rei-I) - RIP
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page