Subwoofer in the trunk? - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-19-2013 Thread Starter
SHELBY GT 350 Member

Garage
Subwoofer in the trunk?

When I bought my 05 Mustang the previous owner left a mono subwoofer amp under the passenger seat. I'd like to use it on my new project, a '64, a TBird. There is no fiberboard/ cloth rear deck like the Mustangs of that era, it's all metal. I don't want to cut holes in it. Here's what the area looks like (see picture).

The grill opening in the picture is for the factory air vents that exhaust air from the cowl and through the cabin. They are not connected to the trunk and do not provide an avenue for sound to travel.

So my question is, if I put a subwoofer speaker in the trunk aimed at the rear seats, will I get decent sound out of it? Or will I just hear a muffled mess?

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_8539 compressed.JPG
Views:	233
Size:	124.5 KB
ID:	226729  

2005 4.0 MT dual exhaust GT mufflers GT suspension and wheels
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-28-2013
Rookie

Hey I would give it a shot, sound will resonate through the steel and into the cabin.

As for facing the rear seats, that's one thing I would experiment with, you'd be surprised as to what a difference the position and direction of the sub will make. In sedans, you often have the best luck with the box against the rear seats, facing the REAR of the vehicle. I've seen folks place them off to the side facing the center, or even facing upward.. Sound is a crazy thing sometimes, and just about everything becomes a variable when it comes to acoustics!

post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-28-2013 Thread Starter
SHELBY GT 350 Member

Garage
So you don't think I need to have any direct opening? I understand that low frequencies reflect and bounce differently than higher frequencies.

I have a shelf area in the front part of the trunk that I figured would be the best place to mount the speaker. But this is where the spare tire sits, so I'd rather place it on the side, next to the rear fender.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-29-2013
Rookie

Well an opening would help more air to pass through, but even though its not vented, it's also not airtight, so the waves will still work their way through. The biggest issue you may have is rattly panels that vibrate against one another with a lot of low frequency energy back there. Hopefully you don't run into that, if you do, I recommend a little bit of dynamat.

Get a box for the sub though, don't mount it into a shelf like a rear deck speaker is mounted in most cars. The sub will need an enclosure to resonate in and truly produce any good sound.

hifisoundconnection.com and sonicelectronix.com both have a good selection of any car audio you may need, and at very reasonable prices, I've fared well with both!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-29-2013 Thread Starter
SHELBY GT 350 Member

Garage
Thanks for the advice. I was planning both the enclosure and the dynamat, or at least material like dynamat.

Planning this out further it looks like the best place to place the sub is on the driver's side of the trunk, against the inside of the rear fender.

I'm using a rubber paint on as much of the metal in the car as I can in order to eliminate rattles. This includes the rear of the dash, the center console, brushed aluminum panels, roof (under the headliners, floor pan, door skins, trunk sides and floor, etc.

After that I have some 3M automotive product to use on the driveshaft tunnel and sides of the floor pan.

I've got a new firewall pad on order to replace the original stinky one.

My body guy tells me to use a product available at Lowes for additional sound deadening. It's called ecofoil, and is about 1/4" thick and has a center layer of basically bubble wrap, coated on both sides with foil. It's made to insulate attic rafters to reflect heat and to absorb sound. He says it's just as good as dynamat and is a lot less expensive. I'll insulate the cowl, roof, floor and line the truck with that as well.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page