I need an audiophile's help. - Page 2 - Ford Mustang Forum
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
PONY Member

+1 on Crutchfield. Great customer service and advice. Fast shipping too.

2014 GHIG GT Premium - Track Pack, Comfort Pack, Rear Camera, GT500 mufflers, Boss 302 Grille with stock fogs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Apprentice

crutchfield is a rip they r over priced just google search shopping ain site i use is sonix electronix great prices fast shipping

also a previous poster is right audiophile dont fit here thats more for people who build amps and speakers and can run 300 watt systems that out db 10k watt systems....theres some crazy stuff out there ...people running like negative ohm-age and push 160db with 2 10s lol and a sub box the size of a excursion

Apprentice

I went with Focals in the front and back. New 12" sub in the trunk and two Kicker amps. I did however replace the stock HU. I do suggest you consider replacing it. I don't believe sync will be that hard to reinstall. Just don't want to spend all that money on speakers and under, or over power them with the stock HU.

2011 V6 Convertible Kona Blue I Billet Grille
Ford Racing exhaust I Ford Racing M5300N Springs
Airaid CAI I Bama 91 Hybrid Tune
Koni STR.T Shocks
American Racing Bullit Chrome 18" Wheels
255/45/18 Pilot Sport A/S Plus

PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StangFan25 View Post
I went with Focals in the front and back. New 12" sub in the trunk and two Kicker amps. I did however replace the stock HU. I do suggest you consider replacing it. I don't believe sync will be that hard to reinstall. Just don't want to spend all that money on speakers and under, or over power them with the stock HU.
Which dash kit did you end up with, got any pics? and I am assuming it would require some fancy magic wiring harness to retain Sync and the steering wheel controls if possible, and likely only compatible with certain models of aftermarket HU as well.....yes I know I am a cynic but I have it in the back of my head that all the extras to do a HU correctly would push the cost of the total HU package past 1K.

13 GT base, 3.55, Sterling Grey, MGW shifter, BMR LCA's, GT500 AB, silver RTR's, 275/40/19 Michelin pilot super sports, more stereo equipment than I will admit to, more parts to come.

Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyhoundman View Post
Which dash kit did you end up with, got any pics? and I am assuming it would require some fancy magic wiring harness to retain Sync and the steering wheel controls if possible, and likely only compatible with certain models of aftermarket HU as well.....yes I know I am a cynic but I have it in the back of my head that all the extras to do a HU correctly would push the cost of the total HU package past 1K.
Ill get pictures and model names and harnesses info tomorrow!

Koni STR.T Shocks
Apprentice

OK, I had some time, so here is the info...

Front and rear Speakers : Focal 130 CVX Polyglass 5.25"
(Scoche SA68 speaker adapters)

Head Unit: Pioneer AVIC-X940BT In-Dash Navigation AV Receiver
Amazon.com: Pioneer AVIC-X940BT In-Dash Navigation AV Receiver with 6.1" WVGA Touchscreen and Built-In Bluetooth: Car Electronics

Dash Kit/Harness Metra 99-5823CH Metra Part # 99-5823CH | Ford Mustang Dash kit | Metra Online

I had an audio shop install everything for me(not my thing), they had the wiring needed for the job. I really like the Metra, still retains all the controls of the stock unit, and you can still keep the steering wheel controls. Total cost, including the parts and install was about $1500. I couldn't be more pleased. Oh and I also have a 12" Kenwood sub in the trunk with two Kicker amps, one for the Focals and one for the sub. I consider myself an audiophile, in car and home theater, and these Focals are amazing.

On a side note, the Metra can be expensive online, If you have a local shop, check with them, they might work with you, mine got it for me for just a little over cost.

Anything I can help with, feel free!

Koni STR.T Shocks
PONY Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Here's a couple pics of the install I did last summer. 6.5'' Component speakers in the doors, Metra 99-5826CH Dash Adaptor, Aftermarket HU, 10'' Sub and 2 amps.

There's still more than enough trunk space for me. Install was fairly easy. The Wire Harness for the HeadUnit was an AXXESS FRST I believe. It retains SYNC and steering wheel controls. I also think the wire harness works with any aftermarket HeadUnit. The HeadUnit is the easiest part of the install. The wire harness just plug clips into all your factory clips. It's just plug and play. Only thing you have to do is butt connect or solder a few wires for your new HeadUnit.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20130411_131148.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	647.2 KB
ID:	230793   Click image for larger version

Name:	20130411_131030.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	886.8 KB
ID:	230801  

2011 Kona Blue MT82 V6 Mustang Pony Package 3:31 Gear Ratio, Interior Upgrade Pkg, Security & Shaker500/Sync
Mods (in order of installed): AM Bama SCT SF3 Tuner w/ 87 Hybrid Tune, Airaid CAI, Hurst Billet Plus 2 Short Throw Shifter, Lethal O/R H Pipe w/ Stock Exhaust, Blacked-Out Tints on Rear Windows, Full Ceramic Tint on Front Windows, Metra Touchscreen Dash Adaptor, Single DIN Head Unit, 6.5'' Component Speakers Fronts, Stock Rear Speakers, 10'' Sealed Subwoofer, 4ch. and 1ch Amplifier. LED licence plate lights, LED interior dome lights, FRPP/Dynamic shocks and struts, SR Performance lowering springs, GT500 Strut Mounts, BMR Adjustable Panhard Bar, BMR LCA's, BMR Relocation Brackets. Rear Seat Delete.
post #23 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-30-2013 Thread Starter
PONY Member

So I did a lot of looking around and info gathering after making the thread. I found Crutchfield to be quite helpful. The HU adaptor (Scosche) I would want is on back order and I'm not sure why but I really cannot decide on Kenwood or Pioneer. I'm going to go single din and 4 speakers. Nothing fancy. Probably won't mess with an amp or subwoofer. Idk, my sound performance modding was supposed to begin and end with the Catback.

2016 Ford Mustang GT MT82, Shadow Black over Ebony, and Black Accent Package.

To-do Mods: All of them
post #24 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-30-2013 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Also, have to convince myself that $500 is better spent on a stereo and not a Short Shifter and a catch can, or headers or new sway bars or a CAI..

Thanks for all the help, guys.

2016 Ford Mustang GT MT82, Shadow Black over Ebony, and Black Accent Package.

To-do Mods: All of them
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ina_esom View Post
So I did a lot of looking around and info gathering after making the thread. I found Crutchfield to be quite helpful. The HU adaptor (Scosche) I would want is on back order and I'm not sure why but I really cannot decide on Kenwood or Pioneer. I'm going to go single din and 4 speakers. Nothing fancy. Probably won't mess with an amp or subwoofer. Idk, my sound performance modding was supposed to begin and end with the Catback.
Looks like you've got a good start there. That should get you the sound you're looking for.
If you're like me with my home equipment, you'll probably end up tweaking the setup a few times

2014 GHIG GT Premium - Track Pack, Comfort Pack, Rear Camera, GT500 mufflers, Boss 302 Grille with stock fogs.
Apprentice

+1 on Crutchfield as well, I used them to completely build out my 91 Olds Custom Cruiser.

Quick Question though: when throwing in some speakers in the Mustang did most of you disconnect the battery or is that not necessarily? I am afraid I may trip an airbag if I do not. But if I do, wont I have to reset the power windows?

2013 GT Base GHIG Track Pack + Recaros + GT500 AxleBacks + Boss 302 Tranny Cooler + Ford Racing Pro-Calibration
SHELBY GT 350 Member

I disconnected (safer) did NOT have to relearn windows.

2012 V6 traded in for a 2017 VW GTI.
PONY Member

get a dsp, keep the stock head unit and you can pretty much build the system from there with out having the stock head unit dictate to much.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page