Looking to Upgrade the Sound System - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 45 (permalink) Old 06-02-2013 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Looking to Upgrade the Sound System

Hello, I have a 2013 Mustang V6 base and I am planning on upgrading the entire sound system in her. I've already replaced all of the stock speakers inside of the vehicle and Holy crap was it a huge difference. What I want to do next is add an amplifier and subwoofer to the car. My question is, is the stock stereo itself going to be enough for these two upgrades or should I start with replacing the stereo first? The stereo seems like a more expensive option as of right now. Can anyone help me out with some details?

Much Appreciated!

Ingot Silver 2013|V6 Mustang Base|Automatic|
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 45 (permalink) Old 06-02-2013
Banned
4.6L Member

I'd stroll into a car stereo shop...but most any aftermarket deck/head unit is better than stock...not to mention the features...I have wireless bluetooth in my Cobra, the Pioneer deck was only $200 so shop around

post #3 of 45 (permalink) Old 06-02-2013
PONY Member

You don't NEED a new head unit (radio), the factory one is made by alpine or pioneer. But if your getting subs it would be a good improvement. If you get a head unit then get something good. No Sony explode BS, no Jensen and no dual... Spend the 200-400 and get something worth the upgrade. Look for something with a sub out, built in crossover, and a decent EQ.

If you don't want to go that rout you can take the speaker signal from one rear speaker, feed it into a passive crossover box, then feed the amp with the output. That's the proper way of doing this cheaply

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

post #4 of 45 (permalink) Old 06-02-2013 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Thanks for the replies so far. My only thing with the stereo unit is not only do you have to buy a new deck but you gotta buy the adapter units for it too which go up to 400 dollars. Or am I wrong about this?

post #5 of 45 (permalink) Old 06-02-2013
Banned
4.6L Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Connor_E View Post
Thanks for the replies so far. My only thing with the stereo unit is not only do you have to buy a new deck but you gotta buy the adapter units for it too which go up to 400 dollars. Or am I wrong about this?
you do need adapters..Crutchfield has all of them and usually sells or gives them with purchases...typically they only run around $20 for the patch
post #6 of 45 (permalink) Old 06-02-2013 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Manystangs View Post
you do need adapters..Crutchfield has all of them and usually sells or gives them with purchases...typically they only run around $20 for the patch
I was talking about the entire head unit replacements.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

post #7 of 45 (permalink) Old 06-02-2013
SITE ADMINISTRATOR
Mustang II Member
V6 Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Manystangs View Post
They are not $20 for the 2011+ mustang. You have to buy the whole center panel which retails for around $400. Crutchfield will sell them to you at 1/2 price if you buy one of their stereos. Also, according to their web site they are on back order until 6/28. Then you have to buy the steering wheel adapter from them & the SYNC adapter if you have it. I`m looking at just buying a signal processor for my stock unit. Its supposed to be plug & play. I`m looking at the HelixPP50DSP at $399, but I`m looking at all the reviews I can find. This ain`t the old days, where you could just yank the factory stereo & stuff in any aftermarket radio you want.

Edit. Crutchfield will give you the power/speaker harness & sometimes the antenna adapter. That's pretty much it.

2013 GT CONVERTIBLE GHIG
2015 F-150 King Ranch crew cab

Dogs are not our whole lives, but they make our lives whole.
Saving one dog will not change the world, but surely for that one dog, the world will change forever.
AFM SITE ADMINISTRATOR

NEVER APOLOGIZE FOR BEING PATRIOTIC!
post #8 of 45 (permalink) Old 06-02-2013 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenv View Post
They are not $20 for the 2011+ mustang. You have to buy the whole center panel which retails for around $400. Crutchfield will sell them to you at 1/2 price if you buy one of their stereos. Also, according to their web site they are on back order until 6/28. Then you have to buy the steering wheel adapter from them & the SYNC adapter if you have it. I`m looking at just buying a signal processor for my stock unit. Its supposed to be plug & play. I`m looking at the HelixPP50DSP at $399, but I`m looking at all the reviews I can find. This ain`t the old days, where you could just yank the factory stereo & stuff in any aftermarket radio you want.

Edit. Crutchfield will give you the power/speaker harness & sometimes the antenna adapter. That's pretty much it.
That's exactly why I was just gonna look at connecting a sub to the factory stereo. This is the one I was looking at http://www.crutchfield.com/p_109GTPR...BassPro12.html

Would it be difficult to connect this to the factory stereo?

post #9 of 45 (permalink) Old 06-02-2013
SITE ADMINISTRATOR
Mustang II Member
V6 Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Connor_E View Post
That's exactly why I was just gonna look at connecting a sub to the factory stereo. This is the one I was looking at JBL GT-BassPro12 Ported powered subwoofer with 12" sub and 150-watt amp at Crutchfield.com

Would it be difficult to connect this to the factory stereo?

Give them a call. They are pretty knowledgeable on the products they sell.

2013 GT CONVERTIBLE GHIG
2015 F-150 King Ranch crew cab

Dogs are not our whole lives, but they make our lives whole.
Saving one dog will not change the world, but surely for that one dog, the world will change forever.
AFM SITE ADMINISTRATOR

NEVER APOLOGIZE FOR BEING PATRIOTIC!
PONY Member

See my sig

Bazooka 10" powered sub has plenty of bass even if I set it at only 25%.

The Polk audio MM571 speakers with passive crossover sound great.

I spent $400 in all, and kept the stock head unit.

2012 Lava Red Mustang Coupe V6 with stone interior
Auto,2.73,BAMA Tunes 93H,Axle Exchange Aluminum DS,Pypes M80 mufflers,Airaid CAI,
Shelby GT500 racing stripes, Side window louvers,Side scoops,Polk Audio MM571 speakers
Shelby GT500 Steering wheel, Maxxim Maze wheels (18 lbs), BBK Throttle Body, Stillen Chin Spoiler, 10" Amplified Bazooka Subwoofer, Illuminated Door Sills, GT500 rear diffuser, Roush Rocker Panel Splitters, Splash Guards, Continental Extreme DWS tires
PONY Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

It's the extra stuff that makes it add up when you do this swap. The head unit can be a basic upgrade for $200ish. However you need the dash adapter for another $200 (as mentioned, usually half price from Crutchfield with combo purchase). The Sync Wiring harness is another $150-$190ish. The Wiring kit for the Amplifier will be another $80-$100. RCA cables for the Amp, USB extensions and iPod wires for the Head Unit might add an extra $15-$50 depending on quality, and if they are included in the amp wiring kit.

Sooo:

HeadUnit: $200+ (for decent name brand unit)
Subwoofer : $250 (for JBL GT-BassPro 12)
HU Dash Kit: $200
HU Wiring Harness: $150
Wiring Kit for Amp: $80
RCAs and Miscellaneous install supplies: $50

I'd say this is being pretty low balling and we are already around $930 for your upgrade...just raise the budget a bit from $400

Now the Processor upgrade sounds like a much cheaper option and is a pretty good cheap fix. This might save you $200 or so compared to just replacing the stock Head Unit. Also, sometimes this can be a more expensive option because processors can be expensive too.

Also, maybe check the Shelby take off Sub for $575. It might be a plug and play hook-up with the Shaker500. Kicker Audio 10 Inch Woofer

As mentioned, the Bazooka sub is a good upgrade that retain stock head unit too. Bazooka BT1224DVC 12" Dual 4 ohm Subwoofer Bass Tube

Pick wisely. Goodluck

2011 Kona Blue MT82 V6 Mustang Pony Package 3:31 Gear Ratio, Interior Upgrade Pkg, Security & Shaker500/Sync
Mods (in order of installed): AM Bama SCT SF3 Tuner w/ 87 Hybrid Tune, Airaid CAI, Hurst Billet Plus 2 Short Throw Shifter, Lethal O/R H Pipe w/ Stock Exhaust, Blacked-Out Tints on Rear Windows, Full Ceramic Tint on Front Windows, Metra Touchscreen Dash Adaptor, Single DIN Head Unit, 6.5'' Component Speakers Fronts, Stock Rear Speakers, 10'' Sealed Subwoofer, 4ch. and 1ch Amplifier. LED licence plate lights, LED interior dome lights, FRPP/Dynamic shocks and struts, SR Performance lowering springs, GT500 Strut Mounts, BMR Adjustable Panhard Bar, BMR LCA's, BMR Relocation Brackets. Rear Seat Delete.
post #12 of 45 (permalink) Old 06-02-2013 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Thank you for all of the replies so far! I've been doing some research and I think I'm just going to keep the Factory Head Unit and ass the subwoofer and amp. From reading online I've found out that the factory head unit doesn't have a preamp output so I'll have to buy this as well,

Scosche LOC80 2-channel line output converter at Crutchfield.com

Can anyone confirm if I'm correct?

MACH I Member

I kept the factory HU and added a 5 channel amp that can use speaker level inputs. Replaced the speakers front and rear and added an 8" sub in the trunk.

Lots of choices out there, you can spend as much, or as little as you want, and still make an improvement. Good luck.

https://www.allfordmustangs.com/forum...ml#post2610234

PONY Member

Joe, I thought about adding another amp for the speakers, but it plays plenty loud enough as is. I like what you did though, sounds like a nice affordable system

2012 Lava Red Mustang Coupe V6 with stone interior
Auto,2.73,BAMA Tunes 93H,Axle Exchange Aluminum DS,Pypes M80 mufflers,Airaid CAI,
Shelby GT500 racing stripes, Side window louvers,Side scoops,Polk Audio MM571 speakers
Shelby GT500 Steering wheel, Maxxim Maze wheels (18 lbs), BBK Throttle Body, Stillen Chin Spoiler, 10" Amplified Bazooka Subwoofer, Illuminated Door Sills, GT500 rear diffuser, Roush Rocker Panel Splitters, Splash Guards, Continental Extreme DWS tires
MACH I Member

Thanks Don. I drive a lot with my windows down, and the stereo still sounds good at 70 mph. lol :laughlitt

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page