Anyone with Shaker 500/SYNC used the PAC audio interface? - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-11-2013 Thread Starter
GT Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Question Anyone with Shaker 500/SYNC used the PAC audio interface?

Specifically the PAC AOEM-FRD24

I am looking to add a 4 channel amp to my Shaker 500. I do not want to hack and splice the factory wiring, so I am looking at this as a PnP solution. I will probably have this done by a pro installer, but I want to know exactly what needs to be done.

More importantly I am trying to find if there is a way to run the SYNC voice off the HU to the front speakers without going through the aftermarket amp. SYNC lady is too loud as it is.

The setup I am considering is:

Factory Shaker 500 head unit
Factory door subs/amp
PAC interface
Rockford Fosgate P500 4 ch amp.

Ive already upgraded the factory junk speakers to Boston SE85 fronts and Polk db571 rear, and have no plans to add a rear sub.

2011 Mustang 3.7L V6 Premium ∙ MCA (203A)
Ingot Silver ∙ Charcoal Black ∙ Auto
HIDs ∙ Security ∙ Comfort Package ∙ Remote Start
Koni STR.T shocks/struts ∙ Roush DUB springs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-11-2013
PONY Member

If you are asking if it is possible to power the front speakers through both the HU and the amp at the same time, then no I do not believe you can do that, you would be feeding the same speaker from two sources that would back feed each other and cause damage to the components.

13 GT base, 3.55, Sterling Grey, MGW shifter, BMR LCA's, GT500 AB, silver RTR's, 275/40/19 Michelin pilot super sports, more stereo equipment than I will admit to, more parts to come.

post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-11-2013
PONY Member

That Pac interface just looks like a basic hi-lo converter you might want to look in to a basic signal processor to remove the built in factory equalization and give your amp a good clean input.

I am trying to decide between the Rockford 3sixty3 or staying low tech with an audio control LCQ

13 GT base, 3.55, Sterling Grey, MGW shifter, BMR LCA's, GT500 AB, silver RTR's, 275/40/19 Michelin pilot super sports, more stereo equipment than I will admit to, more parts to come.

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-11-2013 Thread Starter
GT Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Thanks greyhound. I'm not looking to get too spendy. I'm aiming for $500-$600ish amp, materials and labor

post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-11-2013
PONY Member

I would stick with the 8405 amp you were looking at. Your paying for the name with the Rockford, the ken internals are just as good or better.

Those Boston SE85 speakers are rated at 35W RMS...that's the suggested continuous power input. I think the amp was rated at 60 or 65 watts output so it's a little hot. BA under rates there stuff so that 35 is probably closer to 50 watts honestly. I think this will all be fine if you get it tuned properly.

As far

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-11-2013
PONY Member

I don't think the PAC interface is what you want. Best case would be if the head unit had a line out on it but I'm doubtful. In this case the proper method for getting signal is either swapping head units for something with an output or taping into an existing output.

As for getting the sync lady out of the amp. Sorry, that's not going to happen unless you figure out a way to entirely disable her inside of the unit.

post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-11-2013 Thread Starter
GT Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Crap, now I'm trying to remember if they are se85 or sc85, but in any case I'd have no problem swapping in another pair of polks to get the handling capacity.

I thought the Shaker did have line outs? I'm definitely not replacing the HU. that gets real expensive fast with steering wheel control compatibility, etc.

At first I was good with the kenwood, then I liked the idea of the higher efficiency, higher S/N ratio Rockford and no cooling fan. Line level vs. speaker level inputs... Am i getting sucked into specs on paper? it sucks that no one has car audio showrooms anymore, except maybe BB. Maybe i just should keep it simple... KAC8405, and be done, but it gets mixed reviews. Then again $120 vs $250. Now I'm just...

Confused

post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-11-2013
PONY Member

the rocford is not worth the $, not even close. If you want to look at some other options then check out some of the alpine digital stuff.
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-11-2013 Thread Starter
GT Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Thank rebel. I'm totally over shopping this, at least my wife says so. I think I'm going back to my original plan and your advice.. The KAC8405

PONY Member

Just add a amp and sub in the back, tap into rear speaker wire and call it a day right guys
PONY Member

He's not trying to put in a sub. He is looking to add an external amp to power his aftermarket door and rear deck speakers.

But yea, if this were a sub install then tap off an existing line, put a crossover on it, then send it to the sub amp.

Apprentice

I have a 2011 V6 Ford Mustang with a Shaker 500 and Navigation system. I previously upgraded the speakers in the doors and the rear deck with 4 Infinity REF 8602cfx's. I decided to keep the head unit (I'm perfectly happy with it), but I also installed a Sony XM GS400 amp to provide more power to the door and rear deck speakers. I thought about wiring in a sub, but Iím a bit too old for a car with a booming bass. I installed the amp by using the PAC AOEM FRD24 harness via the included OEM-1 interface. I used the PAC harness/interface to convert the head unitís high level outputs to a line level signal source. This signal was then feed to the amp's inputs. I spliced into the PAC harness wires instead of cutting into my Stangís wiring harness.

The biggest PITA for me was getting the connectors out of the back of the head unit (not much room in the back). The head unit connectors have to be removed because the PAC harness is installed between the car's harness and the head unit. Once I was able to get the connectors out, everything else was a breeze.

Every available function with the Shaker 500 and the NAV system worked perfectly. The audio system sounds great now.

With respect to separately controlling the volume level of the SYNC voice, you will have to send it through the AMP. However, if memory serves me correctly, there is a volume adjustment somewhere in settings that allows you to adjust the voice level. I'm in Germany right now and can't give you anymore info about the voice control setting.

2011 Kona V6 Auto, Premium, 3.31 Rear End, Pony Package, NAV System Electronics Package, Comfort Package, Security Package, Remote Start, Rear Video Camera, Deck Lid Panel, Quarter Window Louvers, Side Scoops.

Mods: C&L CAI, Bama Tune (93H), Boss 302 Strut Tower Brace, Pony Engine Cover, Magnaflow Street Axel Backs, JLT Catch Can, Permanent Removal of Adaptive Shifting Mod, MMD Hood Struts, MMD Black Tail Light Trim, Window Tint, Sony XM GS400 Amp, Four Infinity Ref 8602cfx Speakers, Weathertech Floormats.
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-12-2013 Thread Starter
GT Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Gramp, how long did the DIY install take?

I'm probably just going to have it done. For $150-$200 labor I don't need to lose a day of my life and shred my knuckles on plastic edges.

Oh and the Kenwood has been ordered....

Happy Father's Day to me

Apprentice

I'd be keen to find out how this all turns out. I too only want to get more power (and not bass attenuated) to my aftermarket speakers. I'd not heard of this PAC harness but it would be more cost-effective than a signal processor.

2013 GT 6MT (Black)
Apprentice

As for SYNC lady, can't you just turn down the volume knob whenever she is speaking and that will permanently set her volume?

2013 GT 6MT (Black)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page