2011 GT Front Speaker Swap - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-16-2013 Thread Starter
GT Member
5.0L Member

2011 GT Front Speaker Swap

What do I need for this?? I saw the links on the "HOW TO", but they dont really mention "SPECIFIC" parts. IDK why you need a harness adapter to swap ONLY the speaker.

Not sure if it's a 5x7 or 6x8 I need and which specific model speaker.

Thanks
RC

2011 GT/CS Auto-Security Package, HID, Remote Start.

STEEDA: LCA/Upper 3rd Link, Adj Rear Sway bar, Spyder 20" Rims 11"/9.5", Hood Struts.

VMP S/C w/82mm Pulley, JLT CF Intake, Vortech Max Flow BAP, AFCO Dual Fan Heat Exchanger, FMS 3.31 Gears, Kooks 1-7/8 LTs, Kooks Off Road H-Pipe, GT500 AB's, Baer Big Brake Kit with 14" Rotors, Aeroforce Interceptor Dual Scan Gauge w/Speed of Sound A-Pillar.

Roush Front Bumper, Saleen Front Grille, Custom Radiator Cover/Coil Covers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-16-2013
Apprentice

I swapped my front speakers, I only needed basic tools and I think some torx bits. It's a pretty straight forward process, I spliced into the factory wiring. I'm going to eventually amp my speakers but routing new speaker wires to the doors seems like it's going to be a pain.

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-16-2013 Thread Starter
GT Member
5.0L Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smittyrock View Post
I swapped my front speakers, I only needed basic tools and I think some torx bits. It's a pretty straight forward process, I spliced into the factory wiring. I'm going to eventually amp my speakers but routing new speaker wires to the doors seems like it's going to be a pain.
I will get the harness for $10 rather than splice, but what I really needed to know is which harness, and which speakers/model # are compatible with that factory one.
Thanks
RC

2011 GT/CS Auto-Security Package, HID, Remote Start.

STEEDA: LCA/Upper 3rd Link, Adj Rear Sway bar, Spyder 20" Rims 11"/9.5", Hood Struts.

VMP S/C w/82mm Pulley, JLT CF Intake, Vortech Max Flow BAP, AFCO Dual Fan Heat Exchanger, FMS 3.31 Gears, Kooks 1-7/8 LTs, Kooks Off Road H-Pipe, GT500 AB's, Baer Big Brake Kit with 14" Rotors, Aeroforce Interceptor Dual Scan Gauge w/Speed of Sound A-Pillar.

Roush Front Bumper, Saleen Front Grille, Custom Radiator Cover/Coil Covers

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-18-2013
PONY Member

You'll need Metra Harness 72-5600. You can use any 5x7 speaker, it will mount fine. You can also use a 6x8" speaker as well, but you will need to slightly modify the mounting holes, and it will fit right in as well. You just won't use the end mounting tabs.

Running wires into the doors is an absolute nightmare. I suggest either taking the door right off, or paying someone to do that part of the install. The "molex" is a huge pita to get unfastened, and once you do get it undone and drill holes to feed the wires through, (plenty of room, just be careful not to drill into a wire) putting the rubber grommet back onto the molex is equally a nightmare. Then you have to contort and feed the wires up into the subframe of the chassis because the hole where the wires come through is hard to access. But it can be done. You'll need a lot of patience and either no kids around or a quiet voice. Swearing WILL help... Good luck

2011 GT C/S, MT82 Race red with all black interior
Conti Extreme Contact DWS's 245/45 ZR 19
GT500 axle-backs with resonator deletes, FRPP tune
BMR poly LCA's
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-19-2013
GT Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

There is no need to run new wires to the doors. Pull the wire off the old speaker, connect the harness and push the connectors onto your replacement. Screw the speaker into the door mount. Done.

2011 Mustang 3.7L V6 Premium ∙ MCA (203A)
Ingot Silver ∙ Charcoal Black ∙ Auto
HIDs ∙ Security ∙ Comfort Package ∙ Remote Start
Koni STR.T shocks/struts ∙ Roush DUB springs
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-08-2013
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCA2011 View Post
There is no need to run new wires to the doors. Pull the wire off the old speaker, connect the harness and push the connectors onto your replacement. Screw the speaker into the door mount. Done.
this is what I did, was easy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page