Shaker 500 Amp & Sub Install, 2005 Mustang - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-03-2005 Thread Starter
GT Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Shaker 500 Amp & Sub Install, 2005 Mustang

Hello, I have a black '05 mustang (as if you couldn't tell by my name) with a Shaker 500 audio system in it. I've spent the last hour reading through 5 pages worth of forum topics and found a few things that helped but nothing that was very discriptive. Here's my question...

I have the Shaker 500. I want to install a 300 watt amp, and a 12" Alpine subwoofer in the trunk. I want to keep the speakers and 8" subs that are in the doors, as well as the speakers in the rear panel under the window. Can I install the amp and sub in the trunk with the Shaker 500 and if so, where do I wire the RCA's and remote lead on the Shaker 500? I have a wiring diagram of the Shaker 500 that was posted by someone previously, but it doesn't seem to have a pin labeled for the remote lead (but I see two pins in the diagram, one labeled SWC+ and one labeled SWC- which i'm assuming are the RCA's).

As I dont know too much beyond the basic installation of a single amp and sub, I'm probably wrong on the SWC assumption. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks a lot!

Black 2005 Mustang v6, 5 speed, IUP, EUP and Leather.

Razzi 1/4 window scoops, Mustang GT Sway Bars, Flowmaster American Thunder Single Exhaust, Clear Front Turn Signal Lenses, Demolet CAI, X-cal2 91 tune, Hurst Comp/Plus Shifter, FRPP T-Lock, Ford 3.73 gears
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-04-2005
S197 Member

The Shaker 500 does not have RCA leads on the back. The SWC+ and SWC- contacts won't really do you any good, as RCA-style connectors require both pos and neg for both the left and right channels.

There are a couple of options here. One slightly dirty way to wire it would be to buy a speaker-level to line-level convertor which could be spliced into the speaker wires going to the rear speakers. This convertor, sold at any car audio store, would allow you to get signal to the amp, but the signal would have more noise (distortion, not volume), and thus your subwoofer wouldn't be as clean. You'd also lose some volume on your rear stock speakers, but as you would be running an amplified sub, you may not notice. You can run the remote amp on/off wire off of any switched power lead in the car. The backside of the radio has one. Consult the wiring diagram you have for which pin this is, and simply splice into (not re-route) it.

The second option is one that I am not sure you can do, but I have heard that the connections for the Shaker 1000 trunk-mounted subwoofer are actually in cars with the Shaker 500. I don't know this for sure, but if they are, I'd bet that you'll find all the power, remote on/off, and signal wires you'll need right there. If the harness is not in the car, I'd bet your local Ford dealership's part dept could sell you the stock Shaker 1000 radio-to-sub wiring harness. Cleaner install, but I'd bet much more labor intensive.

Good luck

post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-04-2005 Thread Starter
GT Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

I cant clip the RCA plugs off one end and splice them into the SWC+ and SWC- for a mono amp? Do the SWC+ and SWC- have anything to do with amp/sub hookup or the amps/subs in the doors?

Black 2005 Mustang v6, 5 speed, IUP, EUP and Leather.

Razzi 1/4 window scoops, Mustang GT Sway Bars, Flowmaster American Thunder Single Exhaust, Clear Front Turn Signal Lenses, Demolet CAI, X-cal2 91 tune, Hurst Comp/Plus Shifter, FRPP T-Lock, Ford 3.73 gears

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-05-2005
MACH I Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Send a message via AIM to Kyle F Send a message via Yahoo to Kyle F
So.. I wonder if its true. Are the hookups for the shaker 1000 really in the trunk for a shaker 500 system?

2006 Mustang GT in Torch Red
C&L Intake, Evolution Performance Tune, Borla Axle Backs, Hurst Shifter, 4.10's, JBA Long Tubes, Prothane Engine Mounts, Steeda UDPs, FRPP Charge Motion Delete Plates

84 Bronco, 302 C6 on 32 10.50's
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-30-2008

I'm in the exact same situation here. I'm trying to add an amp and sub to the stock 500 system. This is a really easy job on every other car I've ever wired, but not much info seems to exist for the Shaker.

Again, in trying to find the remote turn-on for the amp, does anyone know if I can just tap into the power for the head unit?

Any help greatly appreciated!
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-30-2008
GT Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

All i know is that i went to a couple places and was told there was no way to keep my stock subs and aftermarket subs but i could replace the stock subs with better speakers, so im running the stock speakers with two 10 inch alpine type r's with a 1800w kenwood amp (500 watts RMS) and a capacitor (to save my alternator) sounds great but i think i coulda gotten some better subs like some apline type x's but unfortunately i didnt have that kinda money at the time

Edit: WOW I didnt notice how old this thread was

2006 V6 Pony Package Premium -Mods: 61mm Powerhouse Turbo and Intercooler, Evolution Dyno Tune(Jon Lund), Steeda Performance Shorty Headers.
Current Numbers:
350 rwhp/420 torque @ 8.3 psi (low boost)
415 rwhp/470 torque @12 psi Car died 6/23/09
New Set Up: 4.6 3v With Manual Trans, Bolt Ons
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-01-2008
PONY Member
S197 Member

Dump the Shaker System and get a good one. Alpine sells a Head Unit with Nav and a 7" screen. Not only di you get something you could hook a refridgerator too, but a much much nicer look in the Stang.

Steeda CAI W/93 SCT Tune, Steeda CMDP, Steeda UDP, Steeda LCA, Steeda UCA, Steeda Sport Springs, Steeda Panhard Bar & Brace, Steeda Hood Strut Mounts, Steeda adjustable Camber Plates, Tokico D-Specs, G2 Painted Calipers,Sequentail Tail Lights, Magnaflow Free-Flo Cats W/Exhaust, Homelink Self Dimming Rear Veiw Mirror W/ Garage Door Opener, Compass & Temp, Eclipse AVN 5510 Head Unit W/ Nav, Chrome BBK Plenum Cover and various Dress-up Items.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-06-2008
Apprentice
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangShelbyGT View Post
I'm in the exact same situation here. I'm trying to add an amp and sub to the stock 500 system. This is a really easy job on every other car I've ever wired, but not much info seems to exist for the Shaker.

Again, in trying to find the remote turn-on for the amp, does anyone know if I can just tap into the power for the head unit?

Any help greatly appreciated!
2006 Mustang V6 Subwoofer Project: Shaker 1100
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-07-2008

Wow.. This is exactly the type of article I was looking for. THank you s ton for the forward!! Thanks Helix139!

Ok, here's my first post...be gentle.

I recently bought a 2005 GT with the Shaker 500 system, and like many others want to add a powered subwoofer to the system. The previously mentioned article was great, but I have to ask...is that the ONLY guy who ever put in a powered sub with the Shaker 500 system? I've looked all over and can't seem to find any other posts or websites with similar "how to" info. As I said, that was great info but I'd still like to see how others have installed their subs into a 'Stang with the Shaker 500 system.

Many thanks in advance.
Apprentice
V6 Member
S197 Member

THis what im going to do
Rookie
V6 Member

Talking

Hey man, I had to do the same thing on my 2002 Mustang. I had to add a remote wire to turn the amp on and off. I found it on the back side of the stereo. It is the same wire that turns your stereo on and off. I just took scotch Locks, which is a cutter in between plastic where you can stick two wires in it and pinch in closed and makes it all one. I am not sure if that is what you are trying to do or not. Reply back and I am pretty sure I can help you out man
Apprentice
S197 Member

Send a message via Yahoo to 06GTKING Send a message via Skype™ to 06GTKING
This should be sticky'd. Great info

2006 Mustang GT Coupe Automatic
Mods:
C&L Street Intake, 93 Octane Tune (Brenspeed & BamaTunes), Pypes Longtube Headers, Pypes O/R H-Pipe, Flowmaster Axelbacks, FRPP 4.10's, 20x8.5 inch Godspeed Omega Deep Dish Wheels
Rookie

That article is great, except, I would like to have the sub amp turn on/off wih the radio instead of with a switch. There must be a remote turn on for the stock amps. Does anyone know what wire (color)that is?
Rookie

when i put in my after market stereo the lines to the connector were blue, maybe those are blue also

06 mustang V6 5spd
-BBK CAI
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page