Tweeter and Speaker help on 2000 Mustang - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-05-2013 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Question Tweeter and Speaker help on 2000 Mustang

Alright, I'm totally uneducated when it comes to audio in cars or audio in general. My speakers are starting to go and i still have the factory head unit in my car.

As I am finally tired of the stock stereo and speakers I want to upgrade to a quality setup. No super bass stuff just quality audio.

So far I've narrowed my items to:
Head Unit- Pioneer DEH-X9500BHS
all info here
Speakers- Pioneer TS-D6802R 6x8's
all info here

Here's my issue, now the speakers are 2way, i want to add some tweeters inside some empty Mach460's i have laying around. What kind of Tweeters should i add to these pods?

Will there be an issue with the sound using 2way speakers along with some tweeters in the Mach460 pods i have?

Any suggestions as for what i should do or if i should choose different components or add some?

2000 SN95
Stock 3.8L V6 AUTO
8.8 Rear End Swap
Complete Pioneer Audio
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-10-2013
Apprentice

I would just get component speakers. Mount the tweets in 460 pod and go full range in rear

post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-21-2014
MACH I Member
V6 Member
5.0L Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_marcus478 View Post
I would just get component speakers. Mount the tweets in 460 pod and go full range in rear
This is what I did. The 5x7/6x8 component sets were pretty expensive. I settled on a 6.75" component setup and used adapter plates. I went with Alpine because the crossover is inline and did not need to be mounted like other setups.

The problem with adding tweeters to existing 2 ways is you have to make sure the total impedance is within the range of your head unit. A typical scenario would be two 4 ohm speakers in series would be 8 ohms and ok for most head units. Wired in parallel you would get 2 ohms which would fry most head units. Check your head unit specs and Google for more explanation.

Also with adding tweeters to two-ways, you may have a very strong high end. You should probably be able to compensate and reduce treble on the equalizer but then you'd have a very reduced treble in the rear.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-03-2014 Thread Starter
Apprentice

I ended up just going with 6x9 stock size Pioneer 2 ways. Along with a new head unit. Sounds amazing but i get distortion after it goes so high.

2000 SN95
Stock 3.8L V6 AUTO
8.8 Rear End Swap
Complete Pioneer Audio
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
2000 mustang , audio quality

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page