Mach to new Sound System - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-25-2005 Thread Starter
Dye

Mach to new Sound System

Someone told me that if i get a different sound system in my Mustang i would have to bypass or w/e the Mach sound system. If so is it hard? Also, which would by a nice sound system around the 10-12" area, and how much would i be looking at for amps and that?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-25-2005
GT Member
V6 Member

that all depends on your goals as far as sound dynamics. Are you looking for SPL competition or a nice real hard sounding bass that compliments music with that extra little kick when you want impress your friends?

There is alot of low end subs and amps out there that can give you the bass you may bee looking for, but you get what you pay for. I stand by my JL Audio, just becuase they have never crapped out on me.

Lee
2012 V6 Ingot Silver MT
2012 V6 Grabber Blue AT
1991 Ford F150
2005 Honda Civic
----------------------------------------------
12v Guru
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-25-2005 Thread Starter
Dye

Im looking for the hard sounding bass, but i really dont know much about speakers. Whats the difference from hard sounding bass and the competition speakers? I just got some money for christmas so im really looking into a new sound system.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-26-2005
PONY Member
4.6L Member

whats up Dye..... what we need to know is the year of your car, what it has in it now, and how much you are willing to spend. You can tie a good subwoofer system into the factory stereo if thats what you are looking for. What kind of music will you be listening to so we can recommend a type of box to put whatever speakers in...... but all in all, it comes down to your budget. You can buy the the meanest looking subwoofer on the face of the planet, but if it's in the wrong box or not powered correctly (yes, theres a right way to power a speaker and a wrong way), it will sound like $#@! . So how much are you looking to spend?? Don't worry, not sellin anything here but want to recommend the best system for your money, so be honest about the amount....
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-26-2005 Thread Starter
Dye

My budget is about 650. Its a 02 Mustang.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-28-2005
PONY Member
4.6L Member

OK, 650 isn't a bad start but now we need to figure out what you have in there. If you have the Mach 460 system, then you will find a big black plastic enclosure under the rear deck with an amp on each side. If thats the case, then a good pair of 10 inchers in a box no larger than 11" high will fit below it. It will be tight but it will fit. I just did another Stang with that setup, only I used 3 10s with a JBL 600 watt amp, and it pounded pretty damn good. Check out the lower end Audiobahn subs. They are not bad at all and will leave you enough money for a good 300-500 watt Class D amp. That and they have a chrome back that looks pretty cool if you mount them with the cone of the speaker firing INTO the box. (if you like that sort of thing) More than likely, you're going to need a custom box built to the specs of whatever speaker you decide to go with. All of the pre-built boxes I've seen are much taller than 11". Let me know what you have back there and I'll do some looking for a good set up that will fall into your budget AND hit hard. I can help with the design of the box too, based on my own car. ( I too have an 02 ) how good are you with a circular saw??
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-28-2005
PONY Member
4.6L Member

Don't be afraid to check ebay for some stuff too. You can find some awesome prices there.... You can never go wrong with product from JL Audio, Alpine, MTX, Infinity, Phoenix Gold, Hifonics, Sony, Cerwin Vega, Pioneer Premier, Audiobahn, Eclipse, Kicker, Rockford Fosgate (Punch)....... so many to choose from but these companies have my trust and upmost respect.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-25-2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storkdork
Don't be afraid to check ebay for some stuff too. You can find some awesome prices there.... You can never go wrong with product from JL Audio, Alpine, MTX, Infinity, Phoenix Gold, Hifonics, Sony, Cerwin Vega, Pioneer Premier, Audiobahn, Eclipse, Kicker, Rockford Fosgate (Punch)....... so many to choose from but these companies have my trust and upmost respect.
I TOTALLY agree with you EXCEPT the Rockford Fosgate. They USED to be GREAT amplifiers I remember my old Punch 400. But ever since they, RF, were bought out by Lighting Audio there amps, HU's, sub's and etc. suck.

And the ONLY problem with the Manufactures that you named off are ALL going to cost more $$$ except for maybe Pioneer, MTX (Which sucks, in my opinion) Sony, or Kicker (Which I also hate.)

The truth is for $600.00 that's NOT going to buy you a very Loud Compition like sound. So try buying used equipment (E-Bay, Forums, Etc).

You also have to ask yourself which type of "setup" you would prefer an SQ (Sound quality) setup or an SPL (I forgot what it stands for) setup. Basically SQ goes for nice tight bass and crystal clear sound and SPL is just, "Boom". It's ALL SPL at competions.

I suggest that you, "Build-Up" your system. Patience is a virtue.

So start with the head unit, I like and in your price range a Kenwood Excelon. They seem to have the best Signal to Noise ratio. Kenwood and Blaukpunkt (Which is a TOTALLY underestimated HU.)

Next get ALL the wiring finished for everything. The wiring is NOT cheap. Ironically I do prefer the RF 0 awg. power/ground wire.

You WILL be AMAZED at what those two things will cost you. You need a good AT LEAST 15-20 feet of no less than 4 awg. power/ground wires.

Fuses, distrubuters, distribution caps (If you want one), MAYBE a better H.O. alternator.

All in all you CAN get a better than stock system for about $600.00 but it won't be what you would probably like it to be. So do it in parts.

Oh yeah and FORGET those kick panels.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-19-2006 Thread Starter
Dye

I have the 460. It has the black deck in the back trunk. Im just not sure now if i still want to even bother with getting new speakers

I have a question, I have a 2001 Mustang w/ a mach 460 and i want to put some good sound in it, I want to put some subwoofers, but i dont really want to take the stereo that it has because of the 6 cd player, and well my question is can i install sub's with the stock stereo?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page