13 GT Premium stereo upgrade. Best $150 I ever spent. - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 09-01-2013 Thread Starter
Rookie

13 GT Premium stereo upgrade. Best $150 I ever spent.

The stereo in the GT Premium is not exactly premium. Try putting your fader all the way to the rear. Kinda sounds like a 75 Pinto with an FM converter. I knew it needed help.

I looked at Walmart while I was out shopping with my wife. Nothing better to do. I found Pioneer 5x7 4 way speakers for $50 a pair and a Kicker 250W amp for $100. It didn't seem like too big of a commitment so I bought it.

It took a bit to install. The speakers dropped right in perfectly. The running of the power cable to the battery and removal of all the rear interior panels was a bit of a pain in the ass but certainly doable.

The sound is NIGHT AND DAY different from what ford installed at the factory. I kept the front speakers in tact. They sound pretty decent. The back speakers and amp addition really brings out the highs nicely and gives all other ranges a boost too.

The new speakers drop right in so there is no cutting to do. I mounted the amp between the speakers under the rear deck. Nicely out of the way.

I would highly recommend this setup. Cheap and a HUGE difference in sound.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Kicker and Pioneer.jpg
Views:	301
Size:	83.0 KB
ID:	262953   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kicker Rear View.jpg
Views:	296
Size:	61.5 KB
ID:	262961  

Mike
Milwaukee, WI
2013 Mustang GT Premium Coupe 6-speed manual
2014 Lincoln MKS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 09-01-2013
PONY Member
5.0L Member

Nicely done! Your comment about the Pinto takes me back to my 74 Pinto with the LearJet am/fm 8 track with Jensen 6x9s in the rear deck.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Dave USAF (Ret)
2013 Mustang GT Premium Coupe, Comfort Pkg., Red Candy, Saddle Leather, 6 MT, 3.31s Build date: 20120808, Purchase date: 20121009, Mods: GT500 Axle Back Exhaust, Steeda Black Shift Knob, Redline Hood Struts
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page