Backseat audio question. - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-05-2013 Thread Starter
Rookie

Backseat audio question.

My sound system will be my first mod in a few months. I am curious as to what everyone has in the backseat area? I am planning on putting a sub in the trunk and alpines up front. The tech/jerk at Best Buy said that the existing speakers, mounted behind the rear seats are not for acoustics, they are there only as "fill in". Which is BS in my opinion.

I am a bit of an audiophile and I want a kick-ass system, with great acoustics hitting me from all angles, (in front and behind me). Any opinions on where and what to install in the back seat area?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-05-2013
PONY Member

Actually what he said isn't completely incorrect in a practical sense...If you are replacing the front speakers and putting in a sub and amp, the difference between replacing the rear speakers and not replacing the rear speakers won't be audible.

I bought a pair of pioneers and replaced the front two door speakers, and then had an amp and sub installed. Sounds amazing. Once you offload the bass from the speakers the quality goes through the roof.

2013 DIB 3.7L | 6AT | Performance Package | Tech Package |
Bama 91R | Airaid CAI | Flowmaster Force II Axlebacks |
Pioneer TSD's | Amp & 10" JBL sub |
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-05-2013
Apprentice

I only use the rear speakers for Sync/bluetooth compatibility. No music comes through them.

Generally speaking, and surprisingly, the bestbuy guy was right. The soundstage should come from the front just like in real life. How often do you have your back to the stage when you see live music? I can see using the rears if you want some type of active surround processing but usually they will just muddy up and confuse the soundstage.

2011 Brembo GT.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-05-2013
Apprentice

From what I have read, the rear speakers are a pain to get to and require removing lots of trim and panels in the back seat. My rear speakers will need to be totally trashed before I consider replacement. Front speakers are on my upgrade list.

2013 V6 Base Coupe - Performance and Tech Packages - Ingot Silver

Bama Tuned with Airaid CAI - GT front brake upgrade - More to come.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-05-2013 Thread Starter
Rookie

All good points. So where are the Shaker-Pro speakers located? I have Base Shaker in a V6 Premium Coupe.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-05-2013
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicsupervibe View Post
All good points. So where are the Shaker-Pro speakers located? I have Base Shaker in a V6 Premium Coupe.
Ah I didn't realize you had a shaker system. Does the base shaker come with a sub/amp? Or just better speakers with bigger tweeters?

The speakers themselves will still be in the same spot...in the door panels.

post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-05-2013 Thread Starter
Rookie

The base Shaker has 6 speakers, 4 in the front, which are two bass and two mid to high range, and the 2 sound fills in the back. I will definitely be upgrading from the factory amp.

Shaker is not worth the price of admission as far as the Premium Package goes. It has been a disappointment, and something that I hope Ford addresses with Gen 6 next year.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-05-2013
PONY Member

No matter what you put in, i would HIGHLY recommend getting a processor for it. I re-did my whole audio package in my base V6. JL speakers all around, amp, processor, and sub and it was amazing the difference. My opinion you will only get so far without processing. Also processing on my front speakers gave me a "L C R" field and can also "help" get something out of the back speakers. But since where they are mounted, there isn't much they can do besides "fill" in the back.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-05-2013
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrisHeinold View Post
No matter what you put in, i would HIGHLY recommend getting a processor for it. I re-did my whole audio package in my base V6. JL speakers all around, amp, processor, and sub and it was amazing the difference. My opinion you will only get so far without processing. Also processing on my front speakers gave me a "L C R" field and can also "help" get something out of the back speakers. But since where they are mounted, there isn't much they can do besides "fill" in the back.
I won't try and argue that having a processor is never the way to go, but I've found that in most car stereo upgrades, unless you're going to spend 5k+ on speakers/sub/amp a processor won't really have a noticeable difference...I'm far from an expert on this, but I have friends who have put put in a processor and it doesn't sound any better than my setup using a sub/amp with passive crossover...When you are only using 2 front speakers as main speakers time alignment doesn't really matter that much...sure you get finer control over frequency and such and a few extra EQ settings, but idk I'm not convinced it's worth it. Feel free to tell me why it is though if I'm missing something.

Apprentice

I disagree with the not being able to tell the difference part. I am not a "self proclaimed" audiophile but, I can tell. If you couldn't tell a difference then I am sure that all of the previous posters will tell you how they have their car stereos adjusted so that all of the sound comes from just the front speakers
Apprentice

My JBL MS-8 had a huge part in making my system the best sounding car stereo I've ever had. There is no doubt about it. Time alignment is very important in making a multi-speaker system sound like a whole. After using this processor I am a big proponent of them.

2011 Brembo GT.
PONY Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

After my full audio over-haul, I still felt it was to forward bias. Technically I agree that is a normal thing, but I wanted more balance. I had 2 extra Fosgate 6x8's so I split channels 3 & 4, and powered off of 2 spare outputs on my second Alpine amp...I know it looks like poo, def. more function than form and someday will get around to flush mounting and come up with a grill...but for now everything is so much more balanced and full...and loud!!:yelpleased: So that puts my total at 6 - 6x8",
2 - 6.5" shallow mount kickers in the front doors, and an 8" sub with enclosure in the truck. Clarion HU, 2 Alpine amps. Anyhow...thats what I've done.

Last edited by percy072; 08-04-2014 at 07:15 PM.
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1llz View Post
Actually what he said isn't completely incorrect in a practical sense...If you are replacing the front speakers and putting in a sub and amp, the difference between replacing the rear speakers and not replacing the rear speakers won't be audible.

I bought a pair of pioneers and replaced the front two door speakers, and then had an amp and sub installed. Sounds amazing. Once you offload the bass from the speakers the quality goes through the roof.
I respectfully disagree.

If you get high quality speakers up front and back....there is a major difference.

If you have a cheap, over boomy sub, then perhaps you may be drowning them out, or they aren't properly calibrated. The rears offer great immersion.

2011 V6 Convertible Kona Blue I Billet Grille
Ford Racing exhaust I Ford Racing M5300N Springs
Airaid CAI I Bama 91 Hybrid Tune
Koni STR.T Shocks
American Racing Bullit Chrome 18" Wheels
255/45/18 Pilot Sport A/S Plus
PONY Member

I replaced both the front and rear speakers with Image dynamics 6.5 components and added two, Arc 2 channel amps with a JL clean sweep, I am almost ready to rip the clean sweep out.....I hate it. I have been trying to tolerate it but it is on its way out my biggest pet peeve about it is the damn clean sweep volume control, it sounds good if you use the JL volume control and leave the HU at the calibrated volume level, however it sounds muddy at any lower HU volume level and as I already have steering wheel controls and a standard volume control the last damn thing I need is another volume control. I am going back and forth between a dedicated processor and one of the new Zapco amps with the built in processor......or just say F-it and go high level straight in to the amps.

13 GT base, 3.55, Sterling Grey, MGW shifter, BMR LCA's, GT500 AB, silver RTR's, 275/40/19 Michelin pilot super sports, more stereo equipment than I will admit to, more parts to come.

PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1llz View Post
I won't try and argue that having a processor is never the way to go, but I've found that in most car stereo upgrades, unless you're going to spend 5k+ on speakers/sub/amp a processor won't really have a noticeable difference...I'm far from an expert on this, but I have friends who have put put in a processor and it doesn't sound any better than my setup using a sub/amp with passive crossover...When you are only using 2 front speakers as main speakers time alignment doesn't really matter that much...sure you get finer control over frequency and such and a few extra EQ settings, but idk I'm not convinced it's worth it. Feel free to tell me why it is though if I'm missing something.
A processor can be the most important piece in your system. As stated earlier time alignment, phase, and tuning for your car is important. You can drop 5k in just speakers and it will only make a slight difference over stock. I put a little over 1k in my car and it sounded better then people who have just put 2k worth of aftermarket headunit and speakers in. I am an audiophile, I'm an audio engineer, and if you could not hear a difference between a system with a processor and without, then who ever put it in did it wrong. I had the JBL MS-8 and it is an amazing piece for the every day person. Aligned the speakers and gave me a "center" channel which was pretty amazing from that "cheap" of a unit. Also having the 32 band EQ was a must for me because i did tune my car and my sub.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page