Need help installing a modern stereo in the dash of a 66.. Plz Help. - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 02-27-2006 Thread Starter

Exclamation Need help installing a modern stereo in the dash of a 66.. Plz Help.

I've taken out the after market cassette deck and i'm wanting to install a new alpine HU. I cant find any car kits or adapters of any kind for this install. If anyone has any information on how to pull this install off i'd greatly appreciate the info. Thanks!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 03-03-2006
PONY Member
4.6L Member

I'll give it a shot, but it'll be hard without seeing the car. First of all, mounting the Alpine is definately going to be a custom job. how do youfeel about cutting the dash?? I've seen alot of older stangs with custom enclosures for aftermarket headunits in the glove box if cutting is a no-no. Next will be the wiring. The Alpine will have 3 wires to really worry about. The yellow power wire that will need to be connected to a source that has CONSTANT 12 volts supplied to it. Break out a circuit tester and go to the fuse panel. Find a fuse that has 12 volts of power no matter what position the key is in. Now the red wire. It will need to be powered with 12 volts ONLY when the key is in the ACC position. This tells the radio to turn off when you take the key out and leave the car. Again, get to that fuse panel with a tester to find one. It might already be marked "radio" for this one but check it anyway. Does your car have a working cigarette lighter? If so, this might be a good place to check for CONSTANT power for the yellow wire. And of course the black wire. This is your ground. Find a screw or small bolt attached to the body of the car for this one, usually under the dash or hidden somewhere. Use your own discretion. You are not going to find any "kits" or "harnesses" for this car. This is definately a "get your hand dirty" type of job. When it comes to wiring your speakers, its just a matter of running new speaker wire to wherever your speakers are. Stay away from wires that are already there. you never know what might be wrong with them. I recommend running new ones... I hope this helps... lemme know how it goes.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page