Door Speaker Enclosures? - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-05-2006 Thread Starter

Door Speaker Enclosures?

Door Speaker Enclosures?

Has anyone ever made sealed or ported enclosures in the doors? Could you provide pics or explanation of how you did it?
<O:p</O:p<O:p</O:p
I have done an extensive system in a 96 mustang. I recently got a 2002 GT convertible. I have never been happy with how the woofers in the door sound. I think the problem is no matter how much power I put to the woofer, the front pressure wave is not really separated from the back since the door has so many holes in the metal portion.
<O:p</O:p
I tried to solve this problem by purchasing baffles. These are a foam rubber type of cup that is installed in the speaker hole first, and then the woofer is installed. This creates a sort of a sealed enclosure however; the foam rubber is flexible, so the woofer still sounds a bit muddy because every time the woofer hits the foam rubber expands and contracts.
So I fiberglassed the baffle. This helped a lot but since I'm using 6x8 woofers I think the enclosure is too small, so I attached a 3.5 foot section of 1.5Ē heavy tubing to the enclosure. This helped to give lower bass due to the larger volume.
The big problem is these woofers are supposed to be installed in an infinite baffle configuration like a rear deck of a car into the trunk etc.
I guess I should get woofers made for a sealed enclosure.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Mike
(I am running an Alpine IVA-310 head unit, Alpine MRA-D550 amp, MB Quart RCE 268 6x8 components in the front doors. <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comBoston</st1:City></ST1:place Acoustic 5.25 components in the rear, Rockford Fosgate Punch 200 ix running 2 JL audio 10w1 subs)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-05-2006
PONY Member
4.6L Member

Sounds like you like your sound quality..... good. Yes it can be done, but not easily. MB Quarts are designed to be in a "infinate baffle" application, especially the drop in replacement ones(6x8, 4x6, etc.) but putting them in an actual enclosure will increase the quality of mid bass like you wouldn't believe. I haven't done it to a Mustang yet but did it in a couple of Cavaliers, and a 67 Beetle. It involved cutting alot of the inner door skin out, making alot of measurements around window tracks and motors, building the enclosure, getting it in the right position (harder than you think, unless your door panels are completely custom), mounting, then re-welding the door skin back in, grind down the welds, then paint so it doesn't rust where the cuts and welds are. Since the enclosure doesn't have to be as strong as a subwoofer enclosure, and there is LIMITED space, you can get away with using 1/4 inch plywood, stapled and glued, NO SCREWS. If you really want to go nuts, break out the fiberglass. That will allow you to follow the contours of the outer door skin. If not, a simple rectangle enclosure that goes along the bottom length of the door will do nicely. Since a rectangle obviously won't follow the contours, what I've done after everything was put back together, welded, grinded, painted, etc, I sprayed some expanding foam along the bottom between the door and enclosure, also between the outer skin and enclosure, this will keep things nice and tight and NOTHING will vibrate but the speaker so all you get is pure music and not all the resonating of the door. But yes, it can be done....

post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-05-2006 Thread Starter

Thanks Stork...<O:p</O:p

I think I got ya. I don't know how to weld, but I guess I could break out the angle grinder, cut away what I don't need and fill in the rest with the 1/4 inch mdf etc. I could also get better angles on the woofers for imaging.
I know what you mean about the mid bass improving. I know the enclosures I built arenít perfect, but I was shocked how much better not only the mid bass got but even the mid range like the vocals improved as well. I didnít even know it was missing until I dropped the woofer into the enclosure.<O:p</O:p

If you happen to have any pictures I would really appreciate it.<O:p</O:p

Thanks again,<O:p</O:p
Mike<O:p</O:p

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-07-2006
PONY Member
4.6L Member

Sorry guy, these cars were done many moons ago, 2 at a shop in TX and one at a shop in NM. I'm in OH. now and I think I took some pics of the bug but they're long gone I'm sure. That was about 10 years ago. When it comes to rewelding the door, I HIGHLY recommend having it done by somebody that knows how. Not putting it back will affect in the long run. It's what supports the shape of the door, and trying to replace it with other material is a bad idea. So if you do something like that, please do it right, ESPECIALLY in a Mustang.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page