1996 - No more audio....bad factory amp? - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-15-2013 Thread Starter
Rookie

1996 - No more audio....bad factory amp?

1. I replaced my original stereo about 15 years ago with a Sony CDX-CA650X and the accompanying harnesses and FAI-1A Scosche adapter from Crutchfield. All wires were soldered. All of a sudden I started to lose sound. At first, it was only sound from the tuner that would disappear after 10 seconds of play. Months later I couldn't get any sound at all from tuner selection. The CD player kept playing all this time for about a year before all sound was gone. The receiver itself seemed fine based on what the display showed. I've checked the wires (see part 2 of this below) and all is as solid as ever. Is it possible the factory amp bit the dust? The 2 audio/amp fuses look just fine as well.
2. In case it was my Sony, and due to my son needing an up to date stereo of course, I purchased a Pioneer DEH-X6500BT. Hooked it up with the harness it came with, using the same Scoshe adapter, and still no sound. However, I did notice the Pioneer was missing the 2 blue amp/ant wires from it's harness so not sure if it would've worked or not. (the Crutchfield harness pic doesn't show these 2 blue wires either so I assume they're not needed anymore?).

Question Summary then:
1. Is it possible factory amp bit the dust? What else can I check?
2. Should I just bypass the factory amp since Pioneer has it's own? Will it still work with rest of speaker system, etc?
3. Assuming I need to get to the factory amp, what in the world is the easiest way cause it's a mess under there, ha.

Sorry this was long but wanted to get all the detail in as possible.
Thanks!
Chet

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-18-2013
Rookie

Disconnect the blue wire that is the cable the supply the remote turn on to the factory amplifier and connect it to constant 12 volts just to test, if the amplifiers turn on ,the solution will be to add a relay to the remote signal wire.
when the factory amplifier gets old for some reason it needs more current to turn on, i seen this in a few fords and Lincoln

If this don't help pull the amplifier out and rewire the radio, all your speaker wires are in the mail amplifier harness

post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-19-2013 Thread Starter
Rookie

Thanks aviator! That's interesting about the amplifier and would definitely fit the symptoms. Since I don't think I have 12V to test(?) or want to bother with a relay, do you agree that it would be easier just to bypass it then? I believe I have the regular audio system so can the speakers handle it right out of the new HU or should I still use the FAI-1A Scosche adapter in between?

PS. Btw, as indicated in initial post, my Panasonic never had the extra blue wires for the amp or antenna, just a blue wire for a remote control (my Sony harness had the 3 blue wires) so not sure how I could hook-up with a relay anyway. Again, thinking about bypassing as easiest option at this point. Thx!

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-08-2013 Thread Starter
Rookie

Bypass Success

Thought I'd give a quick update for those that come later with similar problem.

I ended up buying the bypass harnesses and quickly bypassing the factory amp and boom, success. I purchased this from Crutchfield: Metra 70-5002C Wire Harness for the 1996 Mustang GT (non-Mach 460). After researching on the internet again, I finally realized these connect to the ones that are on the right side (a gray and black one) behind the head unit. No idea why I didn't realize these earlier. The other good tip I had read was to make sure to connect the 2 ground wires first, and of course, disconnecting the negative battery terminal.

Oh, I also bought the Posi-Product screw-on car stereo connectors. They are friggin' awesome. ;o) Posi-Products™ Car Stereo Connectors 16 connectors for installing a new car stereo at Crutchfield.com

Next up is a decent pair of speakers (already purchased).

Thx again for this forum!

PS. With the factory amp disconnected, is it okay to just leave there? Seems like it would be almost impossible to get that thing out although I haven't looked at closely enough either.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page