Bass sounds horrible in 99 GT - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-03-2006 Thread Starter
Rookie

Unhappy Bass sounds horrible in 99 GT

I have a 99 GT with an aftermarket system installed. Since Day one, I have not been able to get the bass to sound good, or even half decent. It is either muddy and distorted, or boomy and annoying. I just want the bass to blend well with the music. I had most of this system in my 94 Camaro Z28, with even thinner wiring, and the bass was perfect.

I have tried two head units...a Pioneer DEH-P8MP, and Eclipse CD8454.

I am running 4 gauge Knukonceptz power up to a 150 amp ANL fuse at the battery, and ground at the metal rear seat-back frame. Then power/ground is routed through two unfused Knukonceptz distribution blocks out to 8 gauge Knukonceptz power/ground to the amps.

RCA's are Knukonceptz Karma to the Highs amp, and Stinger Pro to the Bass amp.

Amplifiers are Elemental Designs Nine.2 to the highs, and Viper D600.1 to the subs.

I have tried two different subs. A pair of Elemental Designs 11kv2's(10") wired for 1 ohm. and three JL Audio 10W0-12's in a MTX box.

If the trunk is to blame, what can I do to get more of the bass into the car, and to clean it up. If not, what could the major problem be with my system?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-05-2006
PONY Member
4.6L Member

Well, there's a number of thing that could be wrong here when it comes to "muddy" or "distorted"bass. The first thing I would check is the wiring to the subs. Is it all in phase? In other words , do all of your positives and negatives match? Which way are the subs firing? I'd recommend you slide the box up under the rear deck and fire them toward the back of the car. Which subs do you have in there now?? I'd stick with the JL's and get a proper enclosure built for those particular subs that fits your car. I assume the MTX box is a sealed enclosure (no ports), if it is ported, it will be tuned for MTX subs, not JL's. But if it is sealed, then you should be able to get away with it. Just make sure your wiring is correct. Putting JL's in a ported box designed for a different speaker will make them sound like $#@!* . Check all these things and let me know how it goes. Oh yeah, I'd also switch from the three 12 ohm subs to three 4 ohm subs, you'll get a helluva lot more power out of the Viper 600 that way.

post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-05-2006 Thread Starter
Rookie

Storkdork,
The polarity is correct, I even purposely hooked up one of the subs backwards and the bass disappeared (cancelled itself out). I had the box up under the deck firing rearward, since this is the most accepted box placement in the mustang. I have the eD's in there now. The MTX box is a sealed box with a plexiglass window on the rear of the box. The box the eD's are in was custom built to eD specs, and built small enough to fit into my trunk.

I paid $380 for the JL's in the box (I know that was probably a rip off). If I could get that much for the JL's themselves, I'd probably sell them and throw in a mid quality trio of 4 ohm subs and see how they sound. The Viper still produces an underrated 400 x 1 RMS @ 2 ohms, which should be plenty for the three 125 watt RMS JL's.

Today I got fed up and tried moving the box along the passenger side of my trunk firing to the opposite side, and the bass improved a great deal. The cancellation is wierd now though. The bass sounds best with the drivers side window up and passenger side down, but it doesn't sound centered. Maybe two boxes firing toward the middle of the trunk , or one box diagonal across the trunk would sound best?

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-07-2006
PONY Member
4.6L Member

Glad to hear you're doing your homework. Positioning the subs in sides is probably your best bet, though I'm not sure what you mean by sounding "centered". Sound dorks like myself like to call bass "omni-directional" which basically means that you shouldn't be able to tell where its coming from (other than behind you). Tweeters on the other hand are VERY directional and any change in their position can throw the sound all off. But you're on the right track with the side of the trunk thing. If you like the sound of the ed's then I would get some good specs on airspace requirements for them and build some tight enclosures to fit in the rear corners. OR sell all your subs and get a pair of dual 4ohm voice coil JL 12s and stick those puppies back there and get the full 600 watts out of that amp at 1ohm!:thumbsup What ever you decide to do, the rear corners is a good way to go.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page