New '14 Base V6 - Suggestions for upgrading interior? - Page 2 - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
MACH I Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverVengeance View Post
You're referring to leatherseats.com, which I said isn't as bad. Its right around where you said, 750-800$ for custom leather set. Katzkin is what he is referring to, which is very expensive. I have found OEM sets as low as 550$ on ebay, which isn't bad, but if I did want custom 750-800$ isn't terrible.

And I'm not quite sure why my thread was moved, I did not think this was tech related, since I wasn't asking for advice on how to install or change anything, just suggestions on quality upgrades.

Still wish someone knew about a good Bluetooth/nav head unit I could use that wouldn't mess anything else up

And thanks for the suggestion, not sure what Dynamat is but i'll research it.
There's always the Raxiom nav unit.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

| 2012 | Base | Performance White | 3.7 | MT82 | 2.73 | FRPP Sport Axlebacks | BMR lcas on the way
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-10-2013 Thread Starter
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PW_Pony View Post
There's always the Raxiom nav unit.

I've seen and heard about it, but they swear you need to have sync installed for it to be usable. Now, I can see it needing sync for certain features maybe but why would it need sync for navigation and back up camera? I wish they could explain why you NEED sync, or if you could buy and use it without sync, just not to its full capabilities.

MACH I Member

Quote:
I've seen and heard about it, but they swear you need to have sync installed for it to be usable. Now, I can see it needing sync for certain features maybe but why would it need sync for navigation and back up camera? I wish they could explain why you NEED sync, or if you could buy and use it without sync, just not to its full capabilities.
I have no idea honestly. Maybe someone here that has the Raxiom unit will chime in.

Personally, I want nothing to do with sync.

| 2012 | Base | Performance White | 3.7 | MT82 | 2.73 | FRPP Sport Axlebacks | BMR lcas on the way

GT Member
S197 Member

SV, Dynamat is an adhesive-backed sound deadening material used to line a car's floor pan (under the carpet), trunk, etc.

Allez Rouge
2012 GT Premium Coupe | Performance White | 401A Charcoal+Grabber Blue | Comfort Pkg | MT82 | Boss 302 Shift Knob | 18" Pony Pkg Wheels w/Brembo Pkg Center Caps | Boss/CS Front Valance | Scott Drake 5.0/Tri-bar Fender Emblems | FRPP Strut Tower Brace | Redline Hood Struts | GT500 Rear Splash Guards | Rear Spoiler Delete | Sound Tube Delete
PONY Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Still wish someone knew about a good Bluetooth/nav head unit I could use that wouldn't mess anything else up
I've got a Clarion NX501 with Nav, bluetooth, ipod, dvd etc etc... Just recently installed a Scoshe bezel adaptor (used to have a metra) It all works great and also installed a back-up camera system. You can save alot buying the components off ebay, but maybe have a local audio shop install it unless your handy with that stuff.

Scosche® FD1441AB 2 DIN Radio Install Dash Kit for 2010 2013 Ford Mustang New | eBay

This is how mine turned out (I painted it to match rest of my interior). Also, have a look at some of the Roush interior kits as another option. I just ordered a set. Just be aware that the coupe interiors are a little different from the verts...the back seats are not the same.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NOS-2011-201...7a71f0&vxp=mtr

Last edited by percy072; 08-04-2014 at 07:14 PM.
post #21 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-10-2013 Thread Starter
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by percy072 View Post
I've got a Clarion NX501 with Nav, bluetooth, ipod, dvd etc etc... Just recently installed a Scoshe bezel adaptor (used to have a metra) It all works great and also installed a back-up camera system. You can save alot buying the components off ebay, but maybe have a local audio shop install it unless your handy with that stuff.

Scosche® FD1441AB 2 DIN Radio Install Dash Kit for 2010 2013 Ford Mustang New | eBay

This is how mine turned out (I painted it to match rest of my interior). Also, have a look at some of the Roush interior kits as another option. I just ordered a set. Just be aware that the coupe interiors are a little different from the verts...the back seats are not the same.

2011 2012 Ford Mustang Roush Seat Covers Black Leather Suede Blue Stitch | eBay
Okay, i'll make sure my interior is for coupes when I buy it. And if you don't mind me asking, how much did you're head unit set up cost you? You can PM about it if you'd like. And the back-up camera(is that a kenwood unit?) was separate from the clarion unit? I'd also be interested in how you did that/what the cost ran.
Apprentice

Steering wheel. Get a leather wrapped take off from ebay, or the Boss 302 one. Its the only part of your car you will constantly use. check out take off parts on the websites for Roush, Shelby, Steeda and Saleen. Sometimes they have good deals on left over parts they've stripped off doing conversions,.

CDNSTANG
2012 V6 Premium Pony Package|Black|Tape stripe delete|OEM charcoal leather take offs|Airaid CAI|Roush Axle Backs| Eibach Pro Kit| Tinted Tail Lights| Gold Plasti-Dipped Rims| 3000K 35W HID Fog Lights|Tinted windows| Stillen Chin Spoiler|GT500 Mud Guards|Boss 302 Strut Tower Brace
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDNStang View Post
Steering wheel. Get a leather wrapped take off from ebay, or the Boss 302 one. Its the only part of your car you will constantly use.
the 2013-14 Mustangs all come with leather wrapped steering wheel, even base models. The ugly 2010-2012 plastic wheel is history.... and it's a good thing!

Canadian 2012 V6, MT, Perf.White Pony Package (3.31 gears). Koni Sport Shocks & Struts. Steeda Sport Springs w/HD Mounts, Route 66 SpeedShop 55D rear spring kit. Boss 302 Strut Tower Brace. BMR Adj PHB. BFG G-Force Sport Comp2. Pioneer TS-D6802R Front SPeakers, Clarion 80W/Ch Amp. JL Audio 8 Inch Sub And 175W Amp. GT500 Steering Wheel. 2012+ Tilting Headrests
Apprentice

Quote:

2011 2012 Ford Mustang Roush Seat Covers Black Leather Suede Blue Stitch | eBay

I'm really interested in these. does it affect the volume button on the sterring wheel?

Our first new ride in Qatar:An American car!
2013 Ford Mustang V6 Black with 18 inch wheels, side "Mustang stripe", 3D carbon GT500 type spoiler
Ride back home:
1991 R129 500SL, 1992 Porsche 928 GTS, 1996 E36 328 & 1997 W140 S320
PONY Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
if you don't mind me asking, how much did you're head unit set up cost you? You can PM about it if you'd like. And the back-up camera(is that a kenwood unit?) was separate from the clarion unit? I'd also be interested in how you did that/what the cost ran.
At the time that H/U was $850 and the bezel surround was $250. Head units range from $250-$1500 depending on the the manufacturer, screen size, options etc... The camera is a clarion that displays distance markers mounted to a clarion license plate frame with integrated LED lights. Together was approx. $120, I installed myself, it just plugs into the head unit but had to run wiring from trunk to behind the head unit and tap into the reverse lights. Lots of options out there. There are also Head units with voice control but don't know how well they work...and are usually are more $$$. Also, the base car has no amplifiers so your limited to the output of the head unit (can be anywhere from 20-40 peak watts x's 4 channels) if you want to get amplified incl. replacement speakers, subs etc. it will get pricey real quick. So far I'm north of $3000 on my entire set up but hey...it's only money, and I like my music LOUD and clear . A good audio tech can help alot to build within a wish list and budget, but def. go with quality components or you'll regret later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by z928 View Post
I'm really interested in these. does it affect the volume button on the sterring wheel?
My car does not have steering wheel audio controls (just cruise) but there are wiring harness's that will interface with the steering wheel controls to allow control of the head unit. I don't know how/ if it affects SYNC (I don't have that option in my car either)

Amazon.com: Scosche SWCJACK Steering Wheel Control Interface for JVC, Alpine, Clarion, Kenwood: Car Electronics

Apprentice

Quote:
At the time that H/U was $850 and the bezel surround was $250. Head units range from $250-$1500 depending on the the manufacturer, screen size, options etc... The camera is a clarion that displays distance markers mounted to a clarion license plate frame with integrated LED lights. Together was approx. $120, I installed myself, it just plugs into the head unit but had to run wiring from trunk to behind the head unit and tap into the reverse lights. Lots of options out there. There are also Head units with voice control but don't know how well they work...and are usually are more $$$. Also, the base car has no amplifiers so your limited to the output of the head unit (can be anywhere from 20-40 peak watts x's 4 channels) if you want to get amplified incl. replacement speakers, subs etc. it will get pricey real quick. So far I'm north of $3000 on my entire set up but hey...it's only money, and I like my music LOUD and clear . A good audio tech can help alot to build within a wish list and budget, but def. go with quality components or you'll regret later.

My car does not have steering wheel audio controls (just cruise) but there are wiring harness's that will interface with the steering wheel controls to allow control of the head unit. I don't know how/ if it affects SYNC (I don't have that option in my car either)

Amazon.com: Scosche SWCJACK Steering Wheel Control Interface for JVC, Alpine, Clarion, Kenwood: Car Electronics
My car do not have sync or USB.

Only my steering wheel have the volumes button & next track button /FM Am finder.

Our first new ride in Qatar:An American car!
2013 Ford Mustang V6 Black with 18 inch wheels, side "Mustang stripe", 3D carbon GT500 type spoiler
Ride back home:
1991 R129 500SL, 1992 Porsche 928 GTS, 1996 E36 328 & 1997 W140 S320
post #27 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-11-2013 Thread Starter
Rookie

Quote:

Very interesting and definitely something to consider. Have yet to find head units with voice control, but have come across lots of cool ideas. Everything from something like this, to tablets installed as a head unit. Just trying to do research and see what I like the best and what is the most efficient.

While researching audio ideas, I came across the Kicker Soundgate for mustangs. Hear anything about that? It's designed specifically for Mustangs and amps the door speakers and puts a sub in the back for about 1200-1300$, haven't looked at too many reviews and i'm not a sound guy so idk how good a deal that might or might not be.
PONY Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
While researching audio ideas, I came across the Kicker Soundgate for mustangs.
Kicker is quality gear...but unless it also came with replacement door and rear deck speakers, I think you could do better for $1200. A good 5 channel amp, sub (8" or 10" w/enclosure) and upgrade the existing speakers would be 1000 X's improved over the base system, then upgrade the H/U at a later time or vise/versa...depending on what is higher priority for you. I would consult with a reputable audio tech and see what they can put together...there are so many choices that it makes it hard to decide which way to go

Any further developments on an interior choice?? This will be my new interior (should be delivered mid next week) Black leather w/ granite suede inserts...not a bad deal for $700

Last edited by percy072; 08-04-2014 at 07:14 PM.
Apprentice

First thing I did was a set of molded floor liners. Weathertech is nice (had them in another car) but I bought the Husky Liners because they cover more of the dead pedal area and were cheaper. I also have the matching rear liners even though nobody ever sits back there. Tinted windows look great as an exterior cosmetic mod, but are a must for increasing comfort in hot weather. I also swapped out the shift knob for a satin silver cue ball type, but there are tons of options there. I also installed aluminum pedals which I love what they do for the feel of the clutch engagement and the larger surface make heel-toe shifting easier.

Cosmetically, the thing that drives me nuts the most about the base trim interior is the totally drab, all black door panels. The premium cars have the chrome door handles and chrome trim ring around the woofers that aren't even in our cars. I wanted a little contrast to make the doors pop. I bought a set of chrome billet vent covers for the little defrost vents and some polished stainless trim for the door lock bezels along with some satin door lock knobs. I bought some satin silver 3M vinyl to attempt to match the satin silver trim on the steering wheel and tried to wrap my door handles, but they looked bad and the color didn't match to my satisfaction. Instead, I am going to buy a set of door handles from American Muscle or Late Model Restoration that are now available in satin silver. That should finish my interior off...I hope.

Pedals:

Vent trim:

Door Lock Trim:

Door Panel Overview:

2013 V6 Base Coupe - Performance and Tech Packages - Ingot Silver

Bama Tuned with Airaid CAI - GT front brake upgrade - More to come.
PONY Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Audio you can pick anything from low to high ,, but you need to decide what kind of sound you are looking for. Also, you need to look at what kind of music you primarily listen to. For a decent front speaker and rear speaker it will cost you about 100 to 200 dollars. A dash kit will run about $200. Head units that are single DIN are 100-400. Double DIN head units with navigation and touch screens are 250-1500. Amplifiers are 150-400 for decent quality 1,2,4,5 channel amps. Subs are 45-300 for decent/good ones and boxes are 60-80 depending on 1 or 2 sub holes. Also install accessories ie speaker wire, amp wiring kits, and wiring harnesses.

To get a budget setup for just speaker replacement that will be cheap. But sound might not improve much. To overhaul and swap HeadUnit, Speakers, Amps, and Sub that will be about $1200. To get a good sounding system look about 1600-1800+

Give a bit more info on your music and what you want to do with your system. Then we can make some suggestions on products. What kind of music you listen to. Do you like sound quality or just want volume. Do you like warm vocals or higher sharp vocals. More midbass punch or more low end rumble. Do you listen to Pandora, iPod, cell phone or CDs. Do you need back up camera. Do you need audio-in input. Do you need navigation or do you plan to only do music with the head unit. Etc.

2011 Kona Blue MT82 V6 Mustang Pony Package 3:31 Gear Ratio, Interior Upgrade Pkg, Security & Shaker500/Sync
Mods (in order of installed): AM Bama SCT SF3 Tuner w/ 87 Hybrid Tune, Airaid CAI, Hurst Billet Plus 2 Short Throw Shifter, Lethal O/R H Pipe w/ Stock Exhaust, Blacked-Out Tints on Rear Windows, Full Ceramic Tint on Front Windows, Metra Touchscreen Dash Adaptor, Single DIN Head Unit, 6.5'' Component Speakers Fronts, Stock Rear Speakers, 10'' Sealed Subwoofer, 4ch. and 1ch Amplifier. LED licence plate lights, LED interior dome lights, FRPP/Dynamic shocks and struts, SR Performance lowering springs, GT500 Strut Mounts, BMR Adjustable Panhard Bar, BMR LCA's, BMR Relocation Brackets. Rear Seat Delete.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page