New '14 Base V6 - Suggestions for upgrading interior? - Page 3 - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
PONY Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Percy

Those seats will look awesome!!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

2011 Kona Blue MT82 V6 Mustang Pony Package 3:31 Gear Ratio, Interior Upgrade Pkg, Security & Shaker500/Sync
Mods (in order of installed): AM Bama SCT SF3 Tuner w/ 87 Hybrid Tune, Airaid CAI, Hurst Billet Plus 2 Short Throw Shifter, Lethal O/R H Pipe w/ Stock Exhaust, Blacked-Out Tints on Rear Windows, Full Ceramic Tint on Front Windows, Metra Touchscreen Dash Adaptor, Single DIN Head Unit, 6.5'' Component Speakers Fronts, Stock Rear Speakers, 10'' Sealed Subwoofer, 4ch. and 1ch Amplifier. LED licence plate lights, LED interior dome lights, FRPP/Dynamic shocks and struts, SR Performance lowering springs, GT500 Strut Mounts, BMR Adjustable Panhard Bar, BMR LCA's, BMR Relocation Brackets. Rear Seat Delete.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

PONY Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPinTX View Post
Cosmetically, the thing that drives me nuts the most about the base trim interior is the totally drab, all black door panels.
I found an interior guy that was able to duplicate the premium trim door inserts in a light silver/gray vinyl ($90 each), painted the speaker mesh to match and trimmed it out, also installed a pair of the OEM chrome door handles bought from Tasca parts. I'm hoping to have the panels re-done to match the new Roush seat inserts. My car has enough power and handling as a DD...so I like mess'n around with the interior :yelpleased: One thing about the base car is it's a blank canvas to make it your own. I doubt I would have done any of this if I had a Premium trim level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtu245 View Post
Those seats will look awesome!!
I can't wait to get them installed!! Be interesting to see how the new seat foam re-shapes the back (suppose to give more side bolstering)

Last edited by percy072; 08-04-2014 at 07:14 PM.
MACH I Member

Quote:
First thing I did was a set of molded floor liners. Weathertech is nice (had them in another car) but I bought the Husky Liners because they cover more of the dead pedal area and were cheaper. I also have the matching rear liners even though nobody ever sits back there. Tinted windows look great as an exterior cosmetic mod, but are a must for increasing comfort in hot weather. I also swapped out the shift knob for a satin silver cue ball type, but there are tons of options there. I also installed aluminum pedals which I love what they do for the feel of the clutch engagement and the larger surface make heel-toe shifting easier.

Cosmetically, the thing that drives me nuts the most about the base trim interior is the totally drab, all black door panels. The premium cars have the chrome door handles and chrome trim ring around the woofers that aren't even in our cars. I wanted a little contrast to make the doors pop. I bought a set of chrome billet vent covers for the little defrost vents and some polished stainless trim for the door lock bezels along with some satin door lock knobs. I bought some satin silver 3M vinyl to attempt to match the satin silver trim on the steering wheel and tried to wrap my door handles, but they looked bad and the color didn't match to my satisfaction. Instead, I am going to buy a set of door handles from American Muscle or Late Model Restoration that are now available in satin silver. That should finish my interior off...I hope.

Pedals:

Vent trim:

Door Lock Trim:

Door Panel Overview:
My doors aren't completely black on my base. Stone interior here!

| 2012 | Base | Performance White | 3.7 | MT82 | 2.73 | FRPP Sport Axlebacks | BMR lcas on the way

Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by PW_Pony View Post
My doors aren't completely black on my base. Stone interior here!

I've yet to see one with a stone interior in person. Are the vinyl inserts on the door panels still black or are they grey to match the cloth?

My issue with the base interior are the boring door panels. Some contrast color would liven them up a bit, so matching the seat color would look nice. I do think that the upgraded leather wrapped wheel in the 2013+ did wonders for the interior, but Ford could have at least given us chrome door handles.

2013 V6 Base Coupe - Performance and Tech Packages - Ingot Silver

Bama Tuned with Airaid CAI - GT front brake upgrade - More to come.
post #35 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-15-2013 Thread Starter
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by percy072 View Post
Kicker is quality gear...but unless it also came with replacement door and rear deck speakers, I think you could do better for $1200. A good 5 channel amp, sub (8" or 10" w/enclosure) and upgrade the existing speakers would be 1000 X's improved over the base system, then upgrade the H/U at a later time or vise/versa...depending on what is higher priority for you. I would consult with a reputable audio tech and see what they can put together...there are so many choices that it makes it hard to decide which way to go

Any further developments on an interior choice?? This will be my new interior (should be delivered mid next week) Black leather w/ granite suede inserts...not a bad deal for $700
The Kicker Soundgate set for 1200$ would come with door speaker amps not sure about rear deck, and the sub in the back. Also nice cause it's all plug and play since it's specifically designed for the Mustang. I think I'm leaning towards sound more than the HU area, since I'm pretty sure Sync is practically unreplicable, and I can live without Nav(I have an iPhone that can do the job for now) and Back-up camera(guess i'll just have to use my eyes :P). And okay, I'd just have to find a reputable audio tech xD and yes, many many choices.

Interior wise, I have chose to spend a little less than new seats would cost me on other modifications so I have enough left over to buy presents for my family for Christmas. So I'm getting a spoiler/scoops/window tint for now, and will upgrade seats early January along with the sound system unless I change my mind. I will have a lot more money then than I will now. I was planning on just base premium seats for 550$, but what you have shown me has me considering red+black seats since I love the red+black combo, I guess it just depends on what it'll cost in comparison and if I can find it.

Mtu, to clear up some of your questions: I listen mostly to Heavy Rock/Metal and such. I care more about bass, a lot of bands make use of bass drops and I'd like to be able to hear/feel them. I wanted my head unit to just be a little more high tech, offer things such as sync/nav/back-up camera and not for sound as much unless that'd be a better option. I'd probably be using my iPhone and music off of it for audio, so yes to audio-in. I hope that helps as much, since I don't know exactly how to answer your question about vocals, a lot of music I listen to is either acoustic singing or lots of screaming. Not sure if that helps.

PPinTX: I also don't like the drab of the interior on the base model I actually love the door panels along with the speakers of the premium models. I looked into replacing the door panels, but it is around 1600$ for a set of both premium door panels and I am just not willing to pay that when I could do so much upgrading for that amount, instead of just replacing.
Apprentice

Quote:
I found an interior guy that was able to duplicate the premium trim door inserts in a light silver/gray vinyl ($90 each), painted the speaker mesh to match and trimmed it out, also installed a pair of the OEM chrome door handles bought from Tasca parts. I'm hoping to have the panels re-done to match the new Roush seat inserts. My car has enough power and handling as a DD...so I like mess'n around with the interior :yelpleased: One thing about the base car is it's a blank canvas to make it your own. I doubt I would have done any of this if I had a Premium trim level.

I can't wait to get them installed!! Be interesting to see how the new seat foam re-shapes the back (suppose to give more side bolstering)
I like those reupholstered inserts. I think I might like mine done in a dark grey that matches the plastic on the dash.

What did your interior guy use for the chrome trim around the speaker mesh? I thought about doing that to mine.

2013 V6 Base Coupe - Performance and Tech Packages - Ingot Silver

Bama Tuned with Airaid CAI - GT front brake upgrade - More to come.
post #37 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-15-2013 Thread Starter
Rookie

Quote:
I like those reupholstered inserts. I think I might like mine done in a dark grey that matches the plastic on the dash.

What did your interior guy use for the chrome trim around the speaker mesh? I thought about doing that to mine.
I actually like my interior really dark on the inside, since the outside is pretty light(I too got Ingot Silver<3), just personally preference though. I might look to do the red/black combo. Black leather seats with dark red stripes or inserts, and if I could find dark red door inserts would be awesome. I also think I'm going to do LED lit footwells to spice it up even more, looks awesome at night.
MACH I Member

Quote:
I've yet to see one with a stone interior in person. Are the vinyl inserts on the door panels still black or are they grey to match the cloth?

My issue with the base interior are the boring door panels. Some contrast color would liven them up a bit, so matching the seat color would look nice. I do think that the upgraded leather wrapped wheel in the 2013+ did wonders for the interior, but Ford could have at least given us chrome door handles.
Stone is more tan than grey. And yes the door inserts match.

| 2012 | Base | Performance White | 3.7 | MT82 | 2.73 | FRPP Sport Axlebacks | BMR lcas on the way
PONY Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverVengeance View Post
. I looked into replacing the door panels, but it is around 1600$ for a set
$1600!! whoa...maybe get these instead.

2010 2014 Mustang Coyote 5 0 Shelby GT500 Drivers Side Door Panel LH Black | eBay

2010 2014 Mustang 5 0 Coyote Shelby GT500 Passenger Side Door Panel RH Black | eBay

Good luck and have fun modding your new ride!!

Quote:
It's a flexible adhesive backed trim I found at a local Canadian Tire...fit perfect into that groove. Think I've seen it on ebay as well, it's just under 1/4" wide.

post #40 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-15-2013 Thread Starter
Rookie

Quote:
$1600!! whoa...maybe get these instead.

2010 2014 Mustang Coyote 5 0 Shelby GT500 Drivers Side Door Panel LH Black | eBay

2010 2014 Mustang 5 0 Coyote Shelby GT500 Passenger Side Door Panel RH Black | eBay

Good luck and have fun modding your new ride!!

It's a flexible adhesive backed trim I found at a local Canadian Tire...fit perfect into that groove. Think I've seen it on ebay as well, it's just under 1/4" wide.
Whoa! Thanks for showing me once again that I have much to learn when it comes to sorting through eBay. My search must have been way off. For 1600$, I would've never replaced the door panels. For less than 500$? That's a lot more reasonable and again something to consider.. decisions decisions >.<

Looks like I'm set for now though till I get more money in January/get tax returns, just order my spoiler and side scoops. Great stuff here so far. Will definitely consider the door panels again, consider custom/nicer seats since I'm waiting anyways and will have more to spend the next time around, and will look more into finding someone who can help me with an audio set up, and seeing if the Kicker system is a worthwhile investment.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page