Speaker setup in 96GT - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-12-2013 Thread Starter
Rookie

Question Speaker setup in 96GT

I want to re-do my car's stereo wiring. The last owner did a totally bad job, it's a mess... I've noticed looking around that some people clip their wires into the stock harness (located at the speakers).
I have A LOT of extra 16 gauge speaker wire, could i just hook it up classically without using the harness, and just running the speaker wire to an aftermarket head unit? or will the cause problems?

I've never done audio in any type of mustang before so i don't know what to expect

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-13-2013
PONY Member
4.6L Member

Well if you are going to do this remember there is going to be:

Up front:
2 speakers
2 tweeters
1 amp

In back:
2 speakers
2 tweeters
2 amps

Are you really going to want to run all the wires for all of that through the car? Sounds like a lot of unnecessary work to me. What is wrong with the harness now or what did they to do it and why?

If you do replace the speakers and use the stock amps you are going to need to do research on this because you don't want speakers that have the built in tweeters also you are going to want to look for a high ohm (I think it is the high ohm ones I cant remember) speaker to use with the mach 460.

Its all going to depend on what you want out of your system some just slap in any old speaker and hope it sounds good, and others go all out and make sure that it will all work together. A good place to call and talk with would be crutchfield they will talk with you and give you some advice they are very knowledgeable about things like this and do it everyday.

You can do this though and it will sound great with a little work up front it will save you headaches down the road! Good luck!

2000 GT 5 speed
SMR #2415
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-27-2013
Apprentice

Running all those wires through the car probably wouldn't be too much fun to be honest with you.

What I did with mine (I have a fox, not an SN though) is I put my amps in the trunk and just ran a 9-wire (if you dont know its just a 4 gauge size cable with 9 wires in it, 4 sets for the speakers and a remote turn on for the amp) from the back to the front and connected that to the harness connector which just plugged into the stock radio harness. The only issue with mine is that for some odd reason the +'s and -'s for the pairs of speakers weren't next to each other so I had to do a little bit of mismatched splicing to the connector.

I would suggest calling crutchfield as well for any help, they also have all the information for the sizes of the speakers if you need it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
gauge , mustang , sound , stereo , wire

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page