Another ADS/Maestro Kenwood Install - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 38 (permalink) Old 12-24-2013 Thread Starter
GT Member
Classic Member
S197 Member

Another ADS/Maestro Kenwood Install

I installed the ADS Maestro dash kit and the new Kenwood DNX890HD today. Took a bit of work since I've never installed a stereo before, but it works amazingly. GPS works great, CD player/Radio sounds awesome...It has Blutooth and Hooks up with my Iphone, etc...And the best part is the climate controls are all controlled from the touch-screen. Super cool. Not to mention it taps into the OBDII wires and the touch screen also shows live gauge readings just like the Aeroforce gauge.

I recommend this to everyone who has a base model with the normal crappy radio!

-Maestro MUS1 dash kit
-Maestro MRR Module
-Kenwood DNN or DNX model stereo

iDatalink - Maestro - MUS1 (ADS-KIT-MUS01)

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 1.JPG
Views:	2542
Size:	684.0 KB
ID:	298449   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 2.JPG
Views:	6287
Size:	593.4 KB
ID:	298457  

-2011 GT , 6AT, ROUSH TVS 2300 Phase 3 Supercharger w/ CAI, 82mm Pully, 3.73 FRPP Gears, Bassani Longtubes, Bassani HiFlo Cats., Bassani Cat-Back Xhaust, Eibach Pro Suspension, J&M Panhard bar, BMR LCAs, BRENSPEED Tuned...(More in profile)
-1965 Fastback "A-Code" 2+2 , 289 4bbl Edlebrock Performance, Ravin Exhaust..
-1970 BOSS 302 - Dearborn built, Numbers matching 302 engine bored .030 over and stroked to 331. Grabber Blue
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 (permalink) Old 12-24-2013
GT Member

looks great dude! always more satisfying when you install mods yourself haha, I had an issue today with my climate controls while my wife and I were out finishing up some last minute shopping. I lost all control over the climate controls, nothing I did would restore control, the fan blower was full blast and full hot, and the display read "Mustang GT" we hit chik fila for a bite to eat, after about 30min when we got back in the car, all was normal again........

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

2016 DIB GT Premium A6, Borla S-type axle backs, Rovos Pretoria wheels 20x8.5/20x10, Nitto N555G2 tires 255/35/20 and 275/35/20, Koni yellows, BMR springs
post #3 of 38 (permalink) Old 12-24-2013
Apprentice

Nice set up. How much did you sink into this project? I have the shaker 500 but hate the sound quality.

post #4 of 38 (permalink) Old 12-24-2013
PONY Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

That does look good...wish this was avail. when I overhauled my audio. That Kenwood H/U is big $$$, but from what I've seen they are amazing!!

post #5 of 38 (permalink) Old 12-24-2013
PONY Member

Thinking that might be phase 2 of my audio upgrade, already replaced speakers and added amps, a sub, and a clean sweep but a new head unit would be the perfect upgrade.

13 GT base, 3.55, Sterling Grey, MGW shifter, BMR LCA's, GT500 AB, silver RTR's, 275/40/19 Michelin pilot super sports, more stereo equipment than I will admit to, more parts to come.

post #6 of 38 (permalink) Old 12-25-2013 Thread Starter
GT Member
Classic Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott_0 View Post
looks great dude! always more satisfying when you install mods yourself haha, I had an issue today with my climate controls while my wife and I were out finishing up some last minute shopping. I lost all control over the climate controls, nothing I did would restore control, the fan blower was full blast and full hot, and the display read "Mustang GT" we hit chik fila for a bite to eat, after about 30min when we got back in the car, all was normal again........

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
lol.. yeah man there were so many wires at first I thought I bit off more than I could chew. But a little patience and it was a breeze..And my Climate controls were the Hardest part to zero in. After I initially installed everything, I had no control over them, the top buttons didn't work, and they were on full blast blowing heat too! I had to re-flash the MRR module a few times to get it right. It didn't like that I had a no-synch buttonless steering wheel. With the help of an ADS guy on the phone we flashed the module using the "Steering Wheel with Synch" option - only we unchecked and turned the Synch off in the options...Then I re-synched the modual to the car...and BOOM! All buttons worked and I had control through the Kenwood. ADS told me that happens and their engineering group is working on it. lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazz View Post
Nice set up. How much did you sink into this project? I have the shaker 500 but hate the sound quality.
Exactly $894

-Kenwood DNX890HD (Factory Refurbished) - $529
-Maestro MUS1 Dash kit - $227
-Maestro MRR Module - $132
-Scotchlok wire adapters - $6 (for tapping into the OBDII w/out cutting anything!)

I bought everything but the adapters from 702 Motoring. Free shipping...Free 6 Month warranty on the Kenwood.

-2011 GT , 6AT, ROUSH TVS 2300 Phase 3 Supercharger w/ CAI, 82mm Pully, 3.73 FRPP Gears, Bassani Longtubes, Bassani HiFlo Cats., Bassani Cat-Back Xhaust, Eibach Pro Suspension, J&M Panhard bar, BMR LCAs, BRENSPEED Tuned...(More in profile)
-1970 BOSS 302 - Dearborn built, Numbers matching 302 engine bored .030 over and stroked to 331. Grabber Blue
post #7 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-03-2014 Thread Starter
GT Member
Classic Member
S197 Member

Hit a snag with the Kenwood DNX890HD......It worked fine until I tried to change the "splash screen" to a custom image i Photoshopped. This is the screen that pops up every time you start the unit. Instead of a lame "kenwood" picture i wanted a cool Ford Racing emblem...Anyway, I followed the instructions, the image loaded fine, but once I reset the unit and it started up (I saw my new image and was stoked!!) - It got to the menu and the thing froze after about 20 seconds. So i powered it off and powered it back on - SAME THING. I get to the menu, or open a tab on the screen to the radio or blu-tooth, and it freezes no matter what screen I get to. Always 20 seconds or so after powering up. I've tried to reset the unit several times with no luck. Even reset to the originial image. No luck. I did a Master reset and unplugged the Head Unit from the car for a couple hours...NO luck....No matter what I do, the touchscreen freezes on whatever screen I get it to after 20 seconds of being on....Luckily, its under warranty and is in the mail to get fixed right now....Hopefully they find the issue, fix it, and upgrade the firmware while they're at it. ....What a hassle...

post #8 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-03-2014
GT Member

ah man that sucks, I changed my splash screen with no issues, so I'm sure you didn't cause they issue. good luck with it dude. keep us updated

Sent from my S4 using autoguide

2016 DIB GT Premium A6, Borla S-type axle backs, Rovos Pretoria wheels 20x8.5/20x10, Nitto N555G2 tires 255/35/20 and 275/35/20, Koni yellows, BMR springs
post #9 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-07-2014 Thread Starter
GT Member
Classic Member
S197 Member

The guys who I sent the head-unit to couldn't get it to freeze. They said they couldn't recreate the issue. Awesome.....ANYWAY, they sent me a new head-unit regardless. And this one has the updated firmware "version 1.7". The one that froze had 1.6.

I installed it and it works great. It even navigates between screens faster. I bet its the new firmware....Anyway, I'm afraid to try and change the splash screen now..

Apprentice

Chiz, I'm looking at this iDatalink Maestro & am wondering what the factory LCD is used for after this is installed? I'm thinking about it, but want to ensure it's what I'm after before dropping nearly $1000.

2013 Premium V6/Auto, Pony Package, Ingot Silver, JLT CAI & Bama 93P Tune.
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by My3rdPony View Post
Chiz, I'm looking at this iDatalink Maestro & am wondering what the factory LCD is used for after this is installed? I'm thinking about it, but want to ensure it's what I'm after before dropping nearly $1000.
What's left from the factory will display song, whether it's CD, DVD, iPod, usb, direction of travel, outside air temp, and I think that's it (I do wish the clock still displayed there since the clock display on the Kenwood is tiny!)(I hear the 2014 models of Kenwood fixed this problem..hopefully a firmware update can restore it). I have the same setup and it did take a few re-flashes of the Maestro unit to get everything as it should be. I coupled those listed above with (4) JL C2570X for the doors and rear deck, (2) JL 10W1V3-4, and a JL XD6006 amp. It sounds awesome and everything works great. If I have any complaints it is the fact that the unit takes a little bit to be fully ready and when doing the climate stuff, the touch screen response is a little laggy (seems all other touch screen stuff is ok). Got my stuff from Sounds of Tristate.

1997 Pacific Green Mustang Cobra...long gone
2014 GT SGM Track Pack 6MT, Recaro's, JLT Catchcan, Kenwood DNX890HD, Maestro MUS1, Maestro RR iDataLink, 2-JL 10W1V3, 4-JL C2570X, JL XD6006, Custom Sub Enclosure
Not yet installed: ARH LT's, Borla OAP's, Borla S, a crap-ton of BMR stuff when they are ready, Forgestar F14's or CF-5's, some form of Coil Overs
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.0_SD View Post
What's left from the factory will display song, whether it's CD, DVD, iPod, usb, direction of travel, outside air temp, and I think that's it (I do wish the clock still displayed there since the clock display on the Kenwood is tiny!)(I hear the 2014 models of Kenwood fixed this problem..hopefully a firmware update can restore it). I have the same setup and it did take a few re-flashes of the Maestro unit to get everything as it should be. I coupled those listed above with (4) JL C2570X for the doors and rear deck, (2) JL 10W1V3-4, and a JL XD6006 amp. It sounds awesome and everything works great. If I have any complaints it is the fact that the unit takes a little bit to be fully ready and when doing the climate stuff, the touch screen response is a little laggy (seems all other touch screen stuff is ok). Got my stuff from Sounds of Tristate.
5.0, thanks for your reply. I have a few questions if you don't mind.
1. Which Kenwood HU do you have? Which ones are 2014?

2. I really like the Ford factory ergonomics - the controls are intuitive & quick to use. I see this iDatalink puts all the HVAC controls on the touch screen. Are they as easy to use, esp. while driving in traffic?

3. I would have thought the Kenwood did all the display work on the songs - it sounds like the Maestro unit allows the factory display to continue to display the songs. So what's the Kenwood displaying then?

4. How does it *really* work with Sync? Again, I thought the Kenwood's hands free system would dominate, but it seems the Kenwood takes a back seat to Sync. Do all the Sync functions still work as Ford made them? All the Steering wheel buttons still work exactly the same / do the same thing?

5. I saw a youtube video of the launch of this at CES - they said the iDatalink Maestro allows the Ford Sirius tuner to work with the Kenwood deck & not require the purchase of the Kenwood Sirius tuner. What's your experience with this?

I'd really like to find someone with one of these in Texas & take a look at it. I'm looking at quite a chunk of change for my system & want to NOT make a mistake.

Thanks again for your help.

Apprentice

Quote:
5.0, thanks for your reply. I have a few questions if you don't mind.
1. Which Kenwood HU do you have? Which ones are 2014?

I have the DNX890HD...the 2014 equivalent is the 891

2. I really like the Ford factory ergonomics - the controls are intuitive & quick to use. I see this iDatalink puts all the HVAC controls on the touch screen. Are they as easy to use, esp. while driving in traffic?

I wouldn't say they are "quick" to use, but they are easy enough to manipulate. IMHO, the original controls are easier to use as they are larger and mechanical switches.

3. I would have thought the Kenwood did all the display work on the songs - it sounds like the Maestro unit allows the factory display to continue to display the songs. So what's the Kenwood displaying then?

The Kenwood is still displaying song info and other things like folder lists for usb and ipod stuff.

4. How does it *really* work with Sync? Again, I thought the Kenwood's hands free system would dominate, but it seems the Kenwood takes a back seat to Sync. Do all the Sync functions still work as Ford made them? All the Steering wheel buttons still work exactly the same / do the same thing?

On my install it seems all the SYNC stuff works and all the steering wheel controls do what they did (except the volume down...now if I volume down on the steering control and hold the button, it mutes the system...if I just want to turn it down, I have to keep hitting the button to go lower.

5. I saw a youtube video of the launch of this at CES - they said the iDatalink Maestro allows the Ford Sirius tuner to work with the Kenwood deck & not require the purchase of the Kenwood Sirius tuner. What's your experience with this?

Can't help you with the Sirius as I don't have SAT radio.

I'd really like to find someone with one of these in Texas & take a look at it. I'm looking at quite a chunk of change for my system & want to NOT make a mistake.

Thanks again for your help.
My answers in red...There are a few threads over at SVTP that have a lot of information and pictures...I'd search Maestro there and see.

2014 GT SGM Track Pack 6MT, Recaro's, JLT Catchcan, Kenwood DNX890HD, Maestro MUS1, Maestro RR iDataLink, 2-JL 10W1V3, 4-JL C2570X, JL XD6006, Custom Sub Enclosure
Not yet installed: ARH LT's, Borla OAP's, Borla S, a crap-ton of BMR stuff when they are ready, Forgestar F14's or CF-5's, some form of Coil Overs
Apprentice

Thanks 5.0. Couple more questions if you don't mind.

1) Do you wish you would have gotten a different Kenwood deck with the knob (like the DNX690HD?) Wondering about effectiveness of touch screen control when on the road (sucks in a cockpit - tried that).

2) Do you think the reduction in control-ability of the HVAC is worth the other functions added by the install?

3) What's the SVTP forum? Not familiar with that.

It sounds like the Sync integration is pretty amazing.

Thanks again.

Apprentice

Quote:
Thanks 5.0. Couple more questions if you don't mind.

1) Do you wish you would have gotten a different Kenwood deck with the knob (like the DNX690HD?) Wondering about effectiveness of touch screen control when on the road (sucks in a cockpit - tried that).

Hard to say...but I do not regret getting the one I have...all in all a great unit. Being on the road and having to do adjustments is what you have to do with any aftermarket unit I would think. I'm always
messing with the EQ trying to get the best sound per song, lol.

2) Do you think the reduction in control-ability of the HVAC is worth the other functions added by the install?

Most definitely...I didn't have navigation before...I didn't have HD radio before.

3) What's the SVTP forum? Not familiar with that.

I don't think I can post a link...just google svtperformance forum...it's another mustang forum...pretty big one like here.

It sounds like the Sync integration is pretty amazing.

Thanks again.
My response in red. Pics of my stuff are in my post on page 2 in this thread.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page