Headunit Install problems - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-10-2014 Thread Starter
Rookie

Headunit Install problems

Hey guys, so i ordered a new head-unit as the one currently in the car doesn't have an aux/USB for my iPhone.
I ordered the head-unit (which came with all the wiring harnesses) from Crutchfield. It seems however, that the previous owner butchered the wires.

Attached are a few pictures of what i'm dealing with, and i don't know where to go from here as there is very minimal video/install help for my 96 GT online.

Does anybody with some knowledge of stereos or at least seen what theirs looks like?Headunit Install problems-20140109_143030.jpg
Headunit Install problems-20140109_143016.jpg
Headunit Install problems-20140109_143035.jpg

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-10-2014
Rookie

Did you pull out the factory radio? the one harness is for the speakers, and the other is for the power. If the factory harness are still intact its pretty much just matching the wires up. If they are ruined I think crutchfield will send you a wiring diagram for free. If you have the Mach 460 or other factory system with a factory amplifier you have to buy a harness that goes from speaker wire to RCAs and plug them in to the back of the head unit

post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-10-2014 Thread Starter
Rookie

Thank-You for the reply!

I think the speaker wire harness must have been clipped, the previous owner was using only RCAs to go back to an external amp. And looks like all the speaker wire was missing up front.

I have my own Stinger PRO 16 guage speaker wire though.
Would i be able to just run my own wire directly from the headunit's speaker harness (colored) through my car to the speakers? I have enough if this could work.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-10-2014
Rookie

Ya thats probably what your going to have to do. It would probably be easier that just guessing and hoping everything is there, even if everything is there you don't know if he cut it somewhere else. I had the same problem with my friends car that I was helping him with, I hooked everything up and the back speakers didn't work, so I had to run all new speaker wire
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-12-2014 Thread Starter
Rookie

Thank-You for your replies, ended up getting it working.

Had to run all new speaker wire throughout the car which took a while but atleast i know it's done right.

The last guy's install was so sketchy though! Some of the RCAs were partly melted (talk about fire hazard). and he was using "Arc welding Cable" for the power (it's pure copper so i guess it works but like wtf?)

Nice and re-done and amp/subs are hooked up working perfectly. Thanks again for your help.

-Jay
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page