Audio gurus, please help... - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-06-2014 Thread Starter
PONY Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Audio gurus, please help...

i am installing a 4-channel amp, 4 speakers, and a powered sub to the stock shaker 500 (no nav) head unit tomorrow. i bought a 4-channel line out converter to do the job correctly, but forgot that i might need a 5-6-channel line out converter to install the self-powered sub too. is there a way to hook up the sub correctly to the stock shaker 500 head unit without using a line out converter for it? this is a link to the sub that i have. maybe you can tell me if i even need a line out converter for it, or if it has the built-in features that will not require one. thanks....

Rockford Fosgate Punch P300-10 Single 10" subwoofer enclosure with 300-watt amp at Crutchfield.com

2012 Black/black GT Premium, Brembo, HID, 3.73 - Borla LT's, Borla x-pipe, Borla touring cat back, Airraid CAI, Bama 93R tune, Steeda LCA/UCA, MM CC plates, panhard and bracket, front/rear swaybars, billet front/rear swaybar brackets/links, chassis brace, Bump steer kit, Tri-Ax shifter/bracket,Eibach Multi-Pro R2 CO's, FRPP diff cover, Weds Wheels 19x10, 275/40/19 Bridgestone Pole Position, GT500 rear spoiler, CDC chin spoiler. Full stereo system.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-07-2014
GLOBAL MODERATOR
S197 Member

Why don"t you call the manufacture and ask them your question,they should be in the best position to help you out, that way you won"t have to spend any unnessary $$$ and you won"t cause any damage to your equipment.

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-07-2014
PONY Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

A 4ch Line Out Converter needs the 2 pair of wires from your front speakers and 2 pairs from either your shaker subs or the rear wires. I personally would use the front speaker and the shaker subs for the Line Out Converter. They are all up front and keepa it tidy.

Once that is decided you'll have 2 sets of RCA plugs to work with your amplifier. I would amplify your front speakers and the subwoofer. Leave the rear speakers on stock headunit power.

From there you just need to decide where you want to place everything. Run power wires on the opposite side of the car from speaker wires etc. If you dont u can have "noise" coming thru your speakers.

Just do a bit of reading first. But I always find it helpful to just grab a piece of paper and draw out the whole install. You'll be way more prepared. Its just hooking up wires and placement. Once its all drawn out its just execution. It can be easy if you want it to be.

Goodluck

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

2011 Kona Blue MT82 V6 Mustang Pony Package 3:31 Gear Ratio, Interior Upgrade Pkg, Security & Shaker500/Sync
Mods (in order of installed): AM Bama SCT SF3 Tuner w/ 87 Hybrid Tune, Airaid CAI, Hurst Billet Plus 2 Short Throw Shifter, Lethal O/R H Pipe w/ Stock Exhaust, Blacked-Out Tints on Rear Windows, Full Ceramic Tint on Front Windows, Metra Touchscreen Dash Adaptor, Single DIN Head Unit, 6.5'' Component Speakers Fronts, Stock Rear Speakers, 10'' Sealed Subwoofer, 4ch. and 1ch Amplifier. LED licence plate lights, LED interior dome lights, FRPP/Dynamic shocks and struts, SR Performance lowering springs, GT500 Strut Mounts, BMR Adjustable Panhard Bar, BMR LCA's, BMR Relocation Brackets. Rear Seat Delete.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-07-2014 Thread Starter
PONY Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

good thoughts!!!!!!!!!!

2012 Black/black GT Premium, Brembo, HID, 3.73 - Borla LT's, Borla x-pipe, Borla touring cat back, Airraid CAI, Bama 93R tune, Steeda LCA/UCA, MM CC plates, panhard and bracket, front/rear swaybars, billet front/rear swaybar brackets/links, chassis brace, Bump steer kit, Tri-Ax shifter/bracket,Eibach Multi-Pro R2 CO's, FRPP diff cover, Weds Wheels 19x10, 275/40/19 Bridgestone Pole Position, GT500 rear spoiler, CDC chin spoiler. Full stereo system.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-07-2014
Rookie
5.0L Member
S197 Member

I did something similar a few years back in my Civic.

Used a 6 channel LOC to run the tweets and door speakers up front to an amp, left the rears on the head unit and then tapped into the "sub" channel and ran my subs to an amp.

Worked quite well.

2012 Mustang GT Premium - Lava Red Metallic - 6M - 3.73s - 401a - HID/Security - Comfort Pack - Brembos - GT Coupe Pack 5 - Continental ExtremeContact DW 255/40/19 - GT500 Mufflers

Ordered 5/17/2011 - Born 6/6/2011 - Delivered 6/23/2011
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-07-2014
PONY Member

It seems to me you're making it harder than it is, but that's up to you.

I'm on my third mustang with the shaker 500. You can do whatever floats your boat but this is my recommendation:

Upgrade the front door speakers. Factory speakers are weak and flat sounding. The rears are even worse. I've had subs in the 2012 I had. Even at low volume, standing outside the car, the car is a rattle trap. If you want to spend more money on Dynomat, or enjoy embarrassing yourself with your car rattling like a $ 500.00 Honda, go for it. I opted to change the front speakers and amplify the rears. They will sound much better.

You can run a 5 channel amp that will solve all of your issues. Or you can run two amps, line out from amp 1 to line in on the 2nd amp for subs. All you need to do is cut into your rear speaker harness, connect your LC2 converter, feed it into your amp and you have your rca output for your amp(s). Then send your audio feed back into your rear speakers from the amp. It will drastically improve the sound of the rear speakers and you'll have a more balanced sound.

If you think that the factory sound level of the front speakers (once replaced with good aftermarket replacements) is low, or not loud enough you have hearing loss. I replaced the fronts with infinity's and at 75% they are loud enough to hurt your ears. Good luck.

It is better to remain silent and be thought of a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-07-2014
SITE ADMINISTRATOR
Mustang II Member
V6 Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

I moved the audio forum to the top of the forums list so we can have these kind of issues answered in one place.

2013 GT CONVERTIBLE GHIG
2015 F-150 King Ranch crew cab

Dogs are not our whole lives, but they make our lives whole.
Saving one dog will not change the world, but surely for that one dog, the world will change forever.
AFM SITE ADMINISTRATOR

NEVER APOLOGIZE FOR BEING PATRIOTIC!
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-25-2014
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynobrat View Post
It seems to me you're making it harder than it is, but that's up to you.

I'm on my third mustang with the shaker 500. You can do whatever floats your boat but this is my recommendation:

Upgrade the front door speakers. Factory speakers are weak and flat sounding. The rears are even worse. I've had subs in the 2012 I had. Even at low volume, standing outside the car, the car is a rattle trap. If you want to spend more money on Dynomat, or enjoy embarrassing yourself with your car rattling like a $ 500.00 Honda, go for it. I opted to change the front speakers and amplify the rears. They will sound much better.

You can run a 5 channel amp that will solve all of your issues. Or you can run two amps, line out from amp 1 to line in on the 2nd amp for subs. All you need to do is cut into your rear speaker harness, connect your LC2 converter, feed it into your amp and you have your rca output for your amp(s). Then send your audio feed back into your rear speakers from the amp. It will drastically improve the sound of the rear speakers and you'll have a more balanced sound.

If you think that the factory sound level of the front speakers (once replaced with good aftermarket replacements) is low, or not loud enough you have hearing loss. I replaced the fronts with infinity's and at 75% they are loud enough to hurt your ears. Good luck.
This is exactly what I'm wanting to do. I like the "surround sound" effect. I've changed all four of the 5x7's to Infinity's, which was a major improvement, but the rear speakers don't put out much volume or bass. So basically the only wires you have to run to the rear is the power wire for the amp because all of the other wires come off of the rear speakers. Is this correct or am I missing something?

2014 Ruby Red V6 Premium w/pony package, Magnaflow Street axle-backs, LED license plate light, LED interior lights, Strip LED trunk lights, MMD Hood struts, SCT X4 Tuner with Steeda tunes for life, Boss 302 strut tower brace, OEM extended range remote start, Raxiom Navigation.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page