Base stereo vs Shaker 500 - Page 2 - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
PONY Member

Garage
CobraJet67:

Good luck in the upgrade to a Shaker system, but be mindful up front with the knowledge that you're heading into a real cluster trying to add these amps, subs, etc. The Shaker systems have upgraded wiring harness and I believe that my 07 Shaker 500 has an upgraded alternator from the factory. My current Shaker Pro head unit has Sync and a bunch of other stuff integrated into the head unit and tied into the steering wheel controls. I know guys who have tried this and just torched their sound systems, from blown fuses to door panel rattles so loud you could hear them entering the neighbor. Overall, these Shaker head units have a lot going on in them.

Good luck!

Jedi D.

2014 Mustang GT Coupe Premium. Options include: California Special package, comfort package, navigation, glass roof, shaker pro system, 3.73 ratio limited slip axle, GT front grill/fogs, MGW race spec shifter, BBK X-Pipe, Corsa GT500 Quad Sport axle-back, Ford Racing ProCal tune. "If I wanted insane HP, I would have purchased a 2014 Shelby GT500!"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

PONY Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobrajet67 View Post
OK, what I am trying to do here is get a little better performance out of the stock stereo setup because I'm not spending my $ on a complete aftermarket stereo when other performance, mechanical, and aesthetic things are on my list first. Music is secondary to me right now.
So...this is a temporary thing? I can relate to buying the door panels, as for the rest...Hope it goes well. But there is alot of potential with the base trim to make it your own (see below) I have a base as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JediDave View Post
Yeah, I have the Shaker Pro and the upgrade option cost was $1200.00.
Holy!! A JL stealth box and mono amp would have cost about the same $$ (if not a little less)...but after all, I do have my PHD in the art of "Hindsight"

Last edited by percy072; 08-04-2014 at 07:13 PM.
Apprentice

I guess we should answer the OP's question. The Shaker 500 in my 2013 consists of a head unit that powers the door 5 1/4" mid and 1" tweeter in each door plus the 2 5x7 speakers in the rear deck. Also, the Shaker 500 includes a 8" sub in each door. The subs are powered by a single amp behind the driver's side kick panel. The total max advertised power of the Shaker 500 is 370 amps. This is down quite a bit from the previous years of 500+ amps. The truth is the door subs sound more like woofers. All the speakers are of low quality with paper cones and small magnets.

I kept the stock head unit and the stock amp in the kick panel. I changed all the speakers out to 2ohm JBLs. 6.5" components in the doors and rear deck and 6.5" woofers where the 8" subs were. 2ohm because that matches the output of the stock amps. So, you'll have plenty of volume. Also, I added a decent amp and a real sub.

Most people are changing the door speakers to some better 5x7 or 6x8 and calling it a day. This is a good fix if you want to keep the budget low.

Last edited by califsp; 02-17-2014 at 04:05 PM. Reason: spelling

PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by califsp View Post
I guess we should answer the OP's question. The Shaker 500 in my 2013 consists of a head unit that powers the door 5 1/4" mid and 1" tweeter in each door plus the 2 5x7 speakers in the rear deck. Also, the Shaker 500 includes a 8" sub in each door. The subs are powered by a single amp behind the driver's side kick panel. The total max advertised power of the Shaker 500 is 370 amps. This is down quite a bit from the previous years of 500+ amps. The truth is the door subs sound more like woofers. All the speakers are of low quality with paper cones and small magnets.

I kept the stock head unit and the stock amp in the kick panel. I changed all the speakers out to 2ohm JBLs. 6.5" components in the doors and rear deck and 6.5" woofers where the 8" subs were. 2ohm because that matches the output of the stock amps. So, you'll have plenty of volume. Also, I added a decent amp and a real sub.

Most people are changing the door speakers to some better 5x7 or 6x8 and calling it a day. This is a good fix if you want to keep the budget low.
Interesting - I didn't know there was a separate amp for the shaker 500 behind the kickplate.

I think you can get a shaker 500 radio & amp fairly cheap - if you look around - but I have to agree the door subs sound more like woofers in my 2009 that has the 500 system - however in the 2014 with the pro system the door subs sound excellent - the system sound quality is much more balanced with midrange than the 500 system - If I had a vehicle that only had the stock radio I would probably put in the 500 system radio and amp - and go aftermarket jbl's per your above - and an aftermarket sub for the back - this would be an excellent system with a balance of price.

2009 Red C/S, 2014 Blue GT, 1969 Coupe 302
Apprentice

Forgot to mention a couple of things about the Shaker 500. In addition to the balance, fader, treble and bass, you can choose drivers seat or all seats. All seats seems to slightly mute the rears.
Also, there is no need to rip out your whole interior out to change the rear speakers.
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by califsp View Post

Sorry I don't mean to hijack here - but Were the 2ohm JBL's in the rear much better sounding than stock in your opinion ? (I want something to replace my rears with that gives me some bass - the stock rears only deliver mid & highs ) - also are they 6x9's & where did you buy them ?

2009 Red C/S, 2014 Blue GT, 1969 Coupe 302
Apprentice

Yes, the JBLs were much better. I can't emphasize enough that if you want to maintain volume, you've got to use speakers that match the factory amp's 2ohm output and JBLs are the only 2ohm replacement speakers I've found.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page