Base stereo vs Shaker 500 - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-16-2014 Thread Starter
PONY Member
Mustang II Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Base stereo vs Shaker 500

Does anyone know what exactly makes up the Shaker 500 system? The radios look the same. I know the Shaker 500 has the door subs but is it just an amp for the subs and the subs themselves that make it a Shaker 500 over the basic radio? Is it a speaker upgrade in the rear deck and doors as well? Are there other electronics and wiring involved?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-16-2014
PONY Member

I don't know too much about it but i think there is an amp under the trunk linner for my Shaker 500. I've changed the door and back lid speakers to better ones. The factory speakers were crap. I still have the door factory subs, they sound pretty good.

and believe me, the Shaker 500 sounds a lot better than the standard radio.....................................

'Little Red'. 2011 V-6 Mustang. Automatic <acronym title="transmission">Trans</acronym>. C&L C.A.I. Ceramic Coated BBK Long Tube Headers and Catted Shorty X-Pipe. Magnaflow Street Series Axle Backs. 3.73 rear gears. GT 500 Lower Control Arms. JLT Catch Can. Axle Exchange Aluminum Drive Shaft. Steeda Watts Link. Several more mods...1991 F150 4X4 61,000 miles. Wifes car, 2014 Ford Edge Limited.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-16-2014
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobrajet67 View Post
Does anyone know what exactly makes up the Shaker 500 system? The radios look the same. I know the Shaker 500 has the door subs but is it just an amp for the subs and the subs themselves that make it a Shaker 500 over the basic radio? Is it a speaker upgrade in the rear deck and doors as well? Are there other electronics and wiring involved?
I have a 2009 with the 500 and a 2014 with the pro system. The 500 does have door subs that sound amazingly good - do not go for the stock radio or you will be sorry - from all I understand it sounds poor. I'm quite sure the amp for the subs is right in the radio itself. I think the rear speakers are the same for the basic radio as well as the shaker 500 or pro - they are fair at best.

2009 Red C/S, 2014 Blue GT, 1969 Coupe 302

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-16-2014
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Young View Post
I don't know too much about it but i think there is an amp under the trunk linner for my Shaker 500. I've changed the door and back lid speakers to better ones. The factory speakers were crap. I still have the door factory subs, they sound pretty good.

and believe me, the Shaker 500 sounds a lot better than the standard radio.....................................
David - when you changed out the back speakers how did the new ones sound ?? aren't the rear speakers 1.2 ohm or something like that - so if you put in a 4 or 8 ohm speaker you will get much dimimished volume ?? Let me know - I am thinking of changing my rears but don't want to do it unless it makes a big difference.

2009 Red C/S, 2014 Blue GT, 1969 Coupe 302
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-16-2014
PONY Member

The shaker 500 consists of "upgraded" speakers (i use the term loosely) an amplifier and door "subs". The base system sounds absolutely terrible, a surprisingly embarrassing level of quality for ford to put out. In my previous mustang 12 V6 had the shaker and after replacing the door speakers it sounded reasonably good, however in my current 13 GT with base stereo I have replaced all speakers added a 4 ch and mono amp, added a sub, and a clean sweep. Next stereo project is to replace the head unit.

13 GT base, 3.55, Sterling Grey, MGW shifter, BMR LCA's, GT500 AB, silver RTR's, 275/40/19 Michelin pilot super sports, more stereo equipment than I will admit to, more parts to come.

post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-16-2014 Thread Starter
PONY Member
Mustang II Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonrakercat View Post
I have a 2009 with the 500 and a 2014 with the pro system. The 500 does have door subs that sound amazingly good - do not go for the stock radio or you will be sorry - from all I understand it sounds poor. I'm quite sure the amp for the subs is right in the radio itself. I think the rear speakers are the same for the basic radio as well as the shaker 500 or pro - they are fair at best.
I already bought a 2014 GT Base and there was no option for a better stereo(not that I wanted to pay any more $ for a stock stereo anyway). The Shaker 500 comes with the Premium as standard and the Pro was optional on the Premium.
However, I want to upgrade it a little and was looking into a cheap way to do it for now with stock parts. What I really want to know is what I need besides the door panels to upgrade it to the Shaker 500.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-16-2014 Thread Starter
PONY Member
Mustang II Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyhoundman View Post
The shaker 500 consists of "upgraded" speakers (i use the term loosely) an amplifier and door "subs". The base system sounds absolutely terrible, a surprisingly embarrassing level of quality for ford to put out. In my previous mustang 12 V6 had the shaker and after replacing the door speakers it sounded reasonably good, however in my current 13 GT with base stereo I have replaced all speakers added a 4 ch and mono amp, added a sub, and a clean sweep. Next stereo project is to replace the head unit.
Where is this stock amp and is the base radio the exact same thing as the Shaker 500 radio? I'd like to know if I can simply buy the stock amp and plug it in to the Base radio with a stock harness thereby giving power to the door subs in the panels that I will be buying.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-16-2014
PONY Member

No idea, but for the money you are better off just going aftermarket. you can buy cheap amps and speakers that are still significantly better than stock.

13 GT base, 3.55, Sterling Grey, MGW shifter, BMR LCA's, GT500 AB, silver RTR's, 275/40/19 Michelin pilot super sports, more stereo equipment than I will admit to, more parts to come.

post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-16-2014
PONY Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
No idea, but for the money you are better off just going aftermarket. you can buy cheap amps and speakers that are still significantly better than stock.
^^agree 100%...considering the cost, time, and effort just to "duplicate" the shaker, especially if your looking at buying a set of door panels and it wouldn't be just plug and play...

Going from base to anything decent is pretty involved, why not make it count the first time...these would be a great start (this place is my new candy land)

WoofersEtc.com - CL-61A.2-25 PRO+FD2100 - CDT Audio/ARC Audio 6.5" Component Sound Quality Package

PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by percy072 View Post
^^agree 100%...considering the cost, time, and effort just to "duplicate" the shaker, especially if your looking at buying a set of door panels and it wouldn't be just plug and play...

Going from base to anything decent is pretty involved, why not make it count the first time...these would be a great start (this place is my new candy land)

WoofersEtc.com - CL-61A.2-25 PRO+FD2100 - CDT Audio/ARC Audio 6.5" Component Sound Quality Package

Yes they are evil, I have bought most of my stereo components from them. Even got my Image dynamics components in a package with the same amp, good little amp for basically free.

PONY Member

Garage
Yeah, I have the Shaker Pro and the upgrade option cost was $1200.00. For the $1200.00 I got a trunk mounted sub and a bump in wattage to 550. It sounds okay I guess, but the Shaker 500 in my 07 put out nearly 500 watts and the door subs had much more thump at low volume. However, the Shaker Pro with its component door speakers (separate tweeter/midrange) sounds clearer with much higher elevated treble. All in all I'm happy with it, but still shaking my head in disbelief at that $1200.00 option cost.....WOW!!

2014 Mustang GT Coupe Premium. Options include: California Special package, comfort package, navigation, glass roof, shaker pro system, 3.73 ratio limited slip axle, GT front grill/fogs, MGW race spec shifter, BBK X-Pipe, Corsa GT500 Quad Sport axle-back, Ford Racing ProCal tune. "If I wanted insane HP, I would have purchased a 2014 Shelby GT500!"
Apprentice

Please don't "upgrade" your base audio to the shaker 500. My 2013 GT came with the shaker 500. All the speakers and door subs are all paper with tiny magnets. Don't spend the money on shaker premium door panels either. Buy a pair of JBL p660c speakers on amazon for your doors. They are 2 ohm just like the stock ones and will sound amazing. Forget the rear speakers and spend your money on an amp and sub. Now you'll have a system that will sound much better than even the shaker pro!
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-17-2014 Thread Starter
PONY Member
Mustang II Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
OK, what I am trying to do here is get a little better performance out of the stock stereo setup because I'm not spending my $ on a complete aftermarket stereo when other performance, mechanical, and aesthetic things are on my list first. Music is secondary to me right now.
I know aftermarket is always better than stock. I'm not buying aftermarket components for the time being and I never buy cheap anything for my cars. Cheap speakers, amps, and head units are never worth it. I'd rather suffer with the atrocious stock stereo than buy subpar stereo equipment.

If anyone out there knows what exactly makes up the Shaker 500 please chime in.
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-17-2014 Thread Starter
PONY Member
Mustang II Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by percy072 View Post

Right now, I simply don't want to spend much on a stereo other than the door panels which I am getting no matter what since I hate the plain stock Base panels so much. The door subs provide two functions for me: better bass and they make the panels look less featureless and boring. I am considering some used stock stereo parts if I can easily upgrade it to the Shaker 500 which is why I need to know what exactly makes up the Shaker 500 vs. the Base system.
I should also mention that I'm by no means a novice to stereos or aftermarket systems. I've installed a few in my cars myself 100% on multiple occasions. Amps, subs, amp wiring, component speakers, etc, are all quite familiar to me. I used to sell and install home and car audio for a living.
Does anyone know for sure if the Shaker amp or amps are in the stock head unit or if they are externally mounted? If they are externally located outside of the stock stereo then where are they mounted? Are the top door speakers the same on the Base and Shaker 500 and if not what is different about them?
GT Member
Classic Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobrajet67 View Post
Right now, I simply don't want to spend much on a stereo other than the door panels which I am getting no matter what since I hate the plain stock Base panels so much. The door subs provide two functions for me: better bass and they make the panels look less featureless and boring. I am considering some used stock stereo parts if I can easily upgrade it to the Shaker 500 which is why I need to know what exactly makes up the Shaker 500 vs. the Base system.
I should also mention that I'm by no means a novice to stereos or aftermarket systems. I've installed a few in my cars myself 100% on multiple occasions. Amps, subs, amp wiring, component speakers, etc, are all quite familiar to me. I used to sell and install home and car audio for a living.
Does anyone know for sure if the Shaker amp or amps are in the stock head unit or if they are externally mounted? If they are externally located outside of the stock stereo then where are they mounted? Are the top door speakers the same on the Base and Shaker 500 and if not what is different about them?
Not sure about the 2014 but the Shaker 500 amp is located behind the drivers side kick panel on the 2012. I would start by looking there.

2012 Kona Blue GT Premium 401A, Manual, 3.55, Steeda Pro-Action Shocks, Struts, Sport Springs, LCAs, Adjustable Swaybars, Adjustable Panhard Bar, BMR Relocation Brackets and Adjustable UCA, Driveshaft Shop Aluminum Drive Shaft, Airaid CAI, MGW Shifter, GT500 Axle-Backs, 3M Clear Bra and Tint, Side Window Louvers, JLT Oil Separator, Staggered MMD Zeven Wheels and Mickey Thompson Street Comp Tires, Bama 93 Race Tune
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page