2011 GT NAV system - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-11-2014 Thread Starter
Apprentice

2011 GT NAV system

I haven't used the navigation system in the mustang yet, she's pretty much a garage queen.
My question, is there a way to make your route on say google maps or something then import into the car?
If not, is there a way to plug in multiple destinations and then have the car route you along the most efficient route to hit all your stops?

2011 GT Premium, 400A, MT, Black with Stone interior
My Mods So Far (in order): VA Legal Tint, Polk DB571 Speakers - Front & Rear, Third brake light pulser, MMD Classic Louvers, GT500 AB, Bondra Performance EZ-Clutch Pedal Extension, resonators cut out - do this!, Steeda shorty black antenna.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-11-2014
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasputin View Post
I haven't used the navigation system in the mustang yet, she's pretty much a garage queen.
My question, is there a way to make your route on say google maps or something then import into the car?
If not, is there a way to plug in multiple destinations and then have the car route you along the most efficient route to hit all your stops?
If you still have the sync service, you can input points on mapquest.com and send them to sync. Then you connect to sync services in the car and it will download the points.

You can also input multiple points manually (add waypoints) then i believe there is a button to optimize the route.

There may be a way to do this on your phone using sync destinations but i havent explored that yet other than sending points to sync and downloading the point from sync to the nav system when i get in the car. example: if i'm talking to someone and they say "you should check this place out" and they give me an address. I'll put that address into the sync destinations app on my phone then click "send to Sync" and i download it from sync when i get in the car.

2012 Mustang GT Premium Kona Blue W/ 401A Trim
Electronics PKG, RR Sensing/Security PKG, HIDs PKG, Comfort PKG, Brembo Brake PKG, Glass Roof, Rear Camera
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-11-2014
Apprentice
5.0L Member

Quote:
Okay so first off to send directions to your car from a computer you need to have an active Sync Services account and if I'm not mistaken it's three years free and then $60/yr after. I'm not sure if you are still in your 3 year window or if you've decided to pay the $60/yr. As a garage queen I would assume you wouldn't have paid for that but I'm going to explain as much as I can anyway.

If you still have an active Sync Services then continue with this paragraph. You can no longer use Google Maps to send to car. For some reason they stopped supporting send to car with Ford vehicles. But you can use MapQuest and here is a link to their support page about how to send directions, it's fairly simple. https://support.mapquest.com/hc/en-u...igation-System

To program in multiple destinations is fairly simple as well. The navigation calls these waypoints. As you add waypoints I'm pretty sure the system automatically gives you the optimized version if not in the waypoint screen there is an optimize button.

2014 Mustang GT Premium,6M,Black,401A Brick Red w/ Cashmere Accent, Elec Pkg, Rev Cam, Comfort Pkg
Ordered:12/18/13 VIN: 01/21/14 Window Sticker Online: 02/04/14 Scheduled: 01/21/14 Built: 02/10/14 Original ETA: 02/25/14 Delivered: 02/17/14 Home: 03/08/14

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-11-2014
PONY Member

It wont optimize the waypoints automatically because that would take route control away from the driver. Supposed you needed to hit destinations in a certain order. If it optimized automatically then you would have no control over where you wanted to go first (if you have a preference). I'm pretty sure there is an option button to optimize the route after you input the waypoints.

2012 Mustang GT Premium Kona Blue W/ 401A Trim
Electronics PKG, RR Sensing/Security PKG, HIDs PKG, Comfort PKG, Brembo Brake PKG, Glass Roof, Rear Camera
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-11-2014
Apprentice
5.0L Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCTurbo View Post
It wont optimize the waypoints automatically because that would take route control away from the driver. Supposed you needed to hit destinations in a certain order. If it optimized automatically then you would have no control over where you wanted to go first (if you have a preference). I'm pretty sure there is an option button to optimize the route after you input the waypoints.
I'm not sure it does it automatically but you CAN still set preference in the waypoints menu. I went to my car and played with this before I wrote anything in my first post. On the upper right is the optimize button and the lower right you can change each individual waypoint up or down in preference with your destination being at the bottom.

2014 Mustang GT Premium,6M,Black,401A Brick Red w/ Cashmere Accent, Elec Pkg, Rev Cam, Comfort Pkg
Ordered:12/18/13 VIN: 01/21/14 Window Sticker Online: 02/04/14 Scheduled: 01/21/14 Built: 02/10/14 Original ETA: 02/25/14 Delivered: 02/17/14 Home: 03/08/14
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-11-2014 Thread Starter
Apprentice

I appreciate the help. I know I need to update the map system, and find out how to activate the sync as well.
I bought her used so I don't have any knowledge of the sync, unless that includes the bluetooth connection to my cell.

The Automatic routing is very helpful if your a sales rep as it will sort your destinations in order from start to end point.
My company is considering taking the company cars back and making us drive our personal cars.
I like my truck, but the mustang has all the comfy and fun factor till I could get something practical.

2011 GT Premium, 400A, MT, Black with Stone interior
My Mods So Far (in order): VA Legal Tint, Polk DB571 Speakers - Front & Rear, Third brake light pulser, MMD Classic Louvers, GT500 AB, Bondra Performance EZ-Clutch Pedal Extension, resonators cut out - do this!, Steeda shorty black antenna.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-12-2014
Official Ford Rep

Quote:
I appreciate the help. I know I need to update the map system, and find out how to activate the sync as well.
I bought her used so I don't have any knowledge of the sync, unless that includes the bluetooth connection to my cell.

The Automatic routing is very helpful if your a sales rep as it will sort your destinations in order from start to end point.
My company is considering taking the company cars back and making us drive our personal cars.
I like my truck, but the mustang has all the comfy and fun factor till I could get something practical.
Hi Rasputin,

If you need me to verify that your subscription to SYNC Services is active, send me a private message with your VIN and connected mobile phone number. I'm here to answer any specific SYNC questions too. Just let me know!

Kim

FORD IN-VEHICLE TECHNOLOGY TEAM

p: 800.392.FORD (Prompts 1 then 3)
t: @FordService @FordMustang @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordMustang facebook.com/Ford
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-14-2014
Apprentice

Garage
i had a navi in my fusion sport; it is really not worth the cost; i just use the turn by turn directions offered from sync; its free for 3 years and then only 60 a year

Past Cars: 1990 Thunderbird, 2000 Mustang, 2004 Mustang GT Conv't, 2012 Fusion Sport
Current Car: 2014 Mustang GT Premium Conv't Gotta Have It Green (401A, Shaker Pro, Remote Start) - Ordered 9/24/13; VIN 10/1/13; Built Date 10/14/13; Released to be Shipped 10/17/13; Shipped 10/24/13; Received 10/26/13
On Order: 2016 Mustang GT Premium Conv't Competition Orange w/Black Racing Stripes (401A) - Ordered 3/8/16; VIN 3/18/16; Window Sticker 4/21/16; Build Date 4/27/16; Sent Offsite 5/2/16???
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-14-2014
PONY Member
V6 Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Um iPhone synced using google maps talks through sync no issues for me lol

Current
12 5.0 white A6 stormtrooper 18x9 18x10 amrs borla s types tru fiber 3in cowl , gt500 spoiler, mmd louvers now to performance and suspension
11 5.0 black on black 6mt comfort package , bama tune, airraid cai, elenor scoops, side scoops, gt500 wing, speeddawgs shift knob gb. Vortech blow - sold
2005 V6 grabber blue , elenor hood wing scoops , foose rims 18x9 18x10 , Bama tuned, dual exhaust. Sold
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by RawisTheGameHhH View Post
i had a navi in my fusion sport; it is really not worth the cost; i just use the turn by turn directions offered from sync; its free for 3 years and then only 60 a year
I don't follow your thinking. Seems a shame to waste a perfectly good (& free) nave system to pay for Sync.

I personally use the Nav system quite a bit and never use the sync system. It's nice to see your planned route on a screen to verify it is a good route, rather than blindly follow voice prompts emanating from sync.

2014 Sterling Gray GT Premium w/Track Pack - just purchased in Aug and undergoing upgrades immediately.
2012 Kona Blue GT Premium - Totaled July 2014, RIP
1968 Red 289 Coupe
Apprentice

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by skramblr View Post
I don't follow your thinking. Seems a shame to waste a perfectly good (& free) nave system to pay for Sync.

I personally use the Nav system quite a bit and never use the sync system. It's nice to see your planned route on a screen to verify it is a good route, rather than blindly follow voice prompts emanating from sync.
how is it free; it was a 2000 charge for navi

Past Cars: 1990 Thunderbird, 2000 Mustang, 2004 Mustang GT Conv't, 2012 Fusion Sport
Current Car: 2014 Mustang GT Premium Conv't Gotta Have It Green (401A, Shaker Pro, Remote Start) - Ordered 9/24/13; VIN 10/1/13; Built Date 10/14/13; Released to be Shipped 10/17/13; Shipped 10/24/13; Received 10/26/13
On Order: 2016 Mustang GT Premium Conv't Competition Orange w/Black Racing Stripes (401A) - Ordered 3/8/16; VIN 3/18/16; Window Sticker 4/21/16; Build Date 4/27/16; Sent Offsite 5/2/16???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page