both front Pioneer speakers quit working today.... - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-14-2014 Thread Starter
GT Member

both front Pioneer speakers quit working today....

Posted this in another forum as well but I'm hoping this will help me get some answers here as well.

I installed some Pioneer front speakers about a month or so ago and they worked and sounded great until this morning. I got in the car this morning and the right one was kind of crackling and the left was totally dead then the right went out very shortly after. Any ideas what could have caused this?

Also, does anybody know the fuse for the front speakers? (I can look up but if you know that would be helpful)

What should I do at this point, just pull the panel and check the wires? It seems odd they both went out at the exact same time. Also, if they were blown they would have SOME sound wouldn't they - just bad sound?

2012 black on black GT Premium Auto 6R80 - 400A
20 x 8.5" AR Torq Thrust M - BMR springs & Koni str.t shocks - GT500 mounts - J&M LCAs - CHE reloc brackets - J&M panhard - General GMAX AS3 - GT500 axel backs (no resonators) - GT500 spoiler - MMD tail light trim - Roush side splitters - AM upper/lower billet grill - Bama 93v2R tune - Airade CAI
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-14-2014
PONY Member

If the speakers are blown they will just sound like crap but still work. There is no fuse for the speakers there is an integrated amp in the head unit that drives the 5x7's, if you have a shaker system there is an external amp in the drivers kick panel that powers the door subs.

Have you simply tried shutting the car off and restarting yet?

13 GT base, 3.55, Sterling Grey, MGW shifter, BMR LCA's, GT500 AB, silver RTR's, 275/40/19 Michelin pilot super sports, more stereo equipment than I will admit to, more parts to come.

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-14-2014 Thread Starter
GT Member

I have the Shaker. What's odd man is subs play and sound fine. Have not turned the car off and on. I did turn the stereo off then on...Didn't help.

20 x 8.5" AR Torq Thrust M - BMR springs & Koni str.t shocks - GT500 mounts - J&M LCAs - CHE reloc brackets - J&M panhard - General GMAX AS3 - GT500 axel backs (no resonators) - GT500 spoiler - MMD tail light trim - Roush side splitters - AM upper/lower billet grill - Bama 93v2R tune - Airade CAI

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-14-2014 Thread Starter
GT Member

I did replace the cabin air filter last weekend. I wonder if I pushed a wire out of place or something doing that behind the dash? How hard is it for someone (bestbuy?) to pull the stereo and look and what kind of cost would I be looking at in your opinion?

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-14-2014 Thread Starter
GT Member

I just went out and turned the car on so the stereo could play and the right speaker was crackling again then all of a sudden it started playing fine and sounded normal. I thought everything was ok but I put the fade all the way to the front left and still nothing besides the sub. Do you all think this would mean at least the amp isn't blown? That's my biggest concern

On a funny note, the song playing was "SAY SOMETHING I'M GIVING UP ON YOU" LOL!!!

Last edited by choate; 03-14-2014 at 12:59 PM.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-14-2014
SHELBY GT 350 Member

I would pull the speaker maybe you have a loose connection. Check the speaker for continuity (ohms) also I thought the cabin airfilter is accessed from outside under the cowl. If you did try from the glovebox area you may have loosened a wire. try sticking your hands behind the radio a connector may be out.

2012 V6 traded in for a 2017 VW GTI.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-14-2014 Thread Starter
GT Member

Gonna pull the door panel and check the speakers tonight after work. And you are correct, I replaced from the under the cowl so that should be blocked off from the in car stereo. It's just really odd that it played perfectly fine when I drove it Saturday, then today it didn't play today at all and the car had just sat in the garage the whole time.

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-16-2014 Thread Starter
GT Member

Interesting find yesterday. Pulled door panels, took out speakers and found the drivers side metra harness had one side that had fallen off at the harness. Put that back in, made sure the speaker worked (it did) so I put it all back together and went to the passenger side. Same thing there. I put it all back together, and headed to Arbys to get something to eat and was feeling pretty good. Turned radio on and was jamming to some good country and next thing you know the drivers side stopped working again! So, instead of getting my beef and chedder, I headed to best buy to buy another metra harness. Got that, pulled door and speakers back off, pulled the harness and what was happening is that the prong was pushing through when I went to snap the harness together. I guess it was just a piece of junk (got off Amazon). Both sides were like that. Maybe it just wasn't lined up right when I pushed in and therefore the prong from the metra harness didn't go in the factory harness and just pushed the wire out of the housing I don't know. So far, the new harness and everything works great again. I can't believe this hasn't happened to anybody else. Maybe I'm just an idiot (I admit I'm an amateur when it comes to audio stuff) or the harness I got was faulty. Either way I'm just happy it's working again and the amp or something bigger wasn't torn up.

Also, I think the drivers side had been out before but I didn't notice right away b/c the passenger front was still working. When it went out that's when I thought they both went out at the same time. That tells you right there how much of an improvement after market fronts are.

Thanks to all that helped me!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page