Ford Mustang Forum banner

raxiom nav a good aftermarket stereo.

6K views 16 replies 9 participants last post by  Ou7LaW 
#1 ·
Hey I have a shaker 500 system which is terrible to me. I turn the volume up and everything sounds awful. I was looking into the raxiom nav unit. Would that be a good replacement and what are other alternatives. I seen some radio bezels with the aftermarket stereo low down by the shifter. Which is awful looking . Any suggestions?

#2 ·
The Raxiom Nav is not a stereo. It is a navigation add on to the stock system.

#6 ·
So im thinking replace all interior speakers. And run an aftermarket amp. Is that possible? And would the speakers have to be 2 ohms or can I do 4.

#8 ·
The coaxials in the doors and rear deck have a 4 ohm impedance.

The 8" subs in the doors are DVCs that run at an odd 1.8 ohm impedance (according to things i read on other forums). Personally, i wouldn't think there would be a problem running DVCs at 2 ohms or even an SVC at 4 ohms in place of the OEM subs.

#13 ·
I think the stock wiring is 16ga (someone correct me if i'm wrong, i haven't actually looked). The 16ga is probably good for 18amps. i don't think you'll touch 18 amps even with a power upgrade.

Like others said, it might be a good idea to just swap out the door stockers with a decent upgrade and see if it gets the sound you want. If not, then look into an amp.

If you're looking for real high quality sound then you might as well tear everything out and start over. I'm big into high quality sound and the reason i havent touched mine yet is i really don't want to rip everything out. I have the nav w/ sync and i dont want to lose any of the nav/sync features...i'm actually quite happy with what Ford provided outside of the sound quality.

#10 ·
I replaced the Shaker 500 door and rear shelf speakers in my 2011 Premium with Pioneer TS A6885 R 4-way speakers off Amazon for $41.93 a Pair. Left the stock subwoofers. No other sound system mods. It sounds like a concert hall now. I'd suggest starting with the door and rear speakers first prior to any head unit, amp or subwoofer mods.

#12 ·
start with door speakers see if thats good enough, there so cheap online it doesnt make sense not to swap them out ($50/pair for Polks).

Then if you want more loud or cleaner, your going to need a line out converter like the Audio Control unit which will allow you to tack on aftermarket amps and subs.

My whole system ended up costing me less than $500 and sounds unreal with the Shaker 500.

#14 ·
This is a potential option too. I didn't think the above would sound that great since i have doubts about the stock head unit frequency response range and signal to noise ratio but this guy says it sounds good. Might be worth a try and, like he said, not too much of a dollar investment...probably didn't take more than a day to install as well.

#16 ·
Those will only work if you make a face plate and might have to shave door panel a bit. What I had to do to fit my focals or buy the right fit 5x7 or 6x8. Also I was told for great sound with stock unit get a audison bit ten d or for amp hook up use a lc6i.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.