Subs for '13 GT+interior sound upgrades! - Ford Mustang Forum
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-18-2014 Thread Starter
PONY Member
 
TheWhiteLight's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2014
Location: Houston
Posts: 625
 
Subs for '13 GT+interior sound upgrades!

So a little background, I know NOTHING about car audio, but I am building a show car and would like to have a sound system in the trunk.

From my limited knowledge I'm thinking of 2x10s or 2x12s or 2x8s + 1x10 but I have no idea how they would sound or what brand or amp or anything...

Do I custom build a box or get one from zenclousures or have one built?

I really just want something that sounds good playing classic rock to rap, just an all around good system.

Money IS an issue, but like I said, it is for a show car so I'm not looking for something cheap, just not something for sound offs and competitions either.

I appreciate any help you guys can give!

PS: I am looking at the raxiom head unit, so it will have to be compatible with that..


MY RIDES
2013 Performance White GT Premium: Tune, CAI, Flowmasters
1970 Mustang 351 Cleveland: MANY mods and improvements
2012 Ford Focus: Rims, Steeda CAI & Tune, Steeda Pro Springs, Steeda Front & Rear Swaybar, Steeda Rear Toe End Link, Magnaflow Catback Exhaust
TheWhiteLight is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-18-2014
SITE ADMINISTRATOR
Mustang II Member
V6 Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member
 
kenv's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2007
Location: Levittown
Posts: 13,168
                     
Don`t forget, the Raxiom is not a radio, its just a add on Nav unit for the stock radio.


2013 GT CONVERTIBLE GHIG
2015 F-150 King Ranch crew cab

Dogs are not our whole lives, but they make our lives whole.
Saving one dog will not change the world, but surely for that one dog, the world will change forever.
AFM SITE ADMINISTRATOR

NEVER APOLOGIZE FOR BEING PATRIOTIC!
kenv is offline  
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-18-2014 Thread Starter
PONY Member
 
TheWhiteLight's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2014
Location: Houston
Posts: 625
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenv View Post
Don`t forget, the Raxiom is not a radio, its just a add on Nav unit for the stock radio.
Really?
I guess I need to read closer lol, is there any double din Nav+radio options that look factory in the car?
Please include links if you can, I really don't know much about car audio/navs as you can probably tell lol.

MY RIDES
2013 Performance White GT Premium: Tune, CAI, Flowmasters
1970 Mustang 351 Cleveland: MANY mods and improvements
2012 Ford Focus: Rims, Steeda CAI & Tune, Steeda Pro Springs, Steeda Front & Rear Swaybar, Steeda Rear Toe End Link, Magnaflow Catback Exhaust
TheWhiteLight is offline  
 
post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-19-2014
PONY Member
 
Greyhoundman's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2011
Location: Ofallon
Posts: 706
 
The Kenwood head unit with the Maestro/Idata-link setup is the direction I am planning to head.

I am running a single IDmax 12 on 1100 watts and it is absolutely ridiculous, it sounds great, has no problem hitting low notes, but is still very musical in the upper frequency ranges a sub is capable of......and it can get ridiculously stupidly loud. I built my own custom box but I would not recommend that route if you are not already experienced in enclosure building. Don't overlook the mids and highs they need to be of appropriate quality and powered with a quality amp or the overall system will sound like crap.....

13 GT base, 3.55, Sterling Grey, MGW shifter, BMR LCA's, GT500 AB, silver RTR's, 275/40/19 Michelin pilot super sports, more stereo equipment than I will admit to, more parts to come.

Greyhoundman is offline  
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-19-2014 Thread Starter
PONY Member
 
TheWhiteLight's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2014
Location: Houston
Posts: 625
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyhoundman View Post
The Kenwood head unit with the Maestro/Idata-link setup is the direction I am planning to head.

I am running a single IDmax 12 on 1100 watts and it is absolutely ridiculous, it sounds great, has no problem hitting low notes, but is still very musical in the upper frequency ranges a sub is capable of......and it can get ridiculously stupidly loud. I built my own custom box but I would not recommend that route if you are not already experienced in enclosure building. Don't overlook the mids and highs they need to be of appropriate quality and powered with a quality amp or the overall system will sound like crap.....
So do you think 2x10s would be to much?
I have never built an.enclosure, but I have a complete wood working workshop at my disposal, I just don't know what dimension/etc I would need to build.
What amp do you suggest, for my build?
Do you have any pics of your set up?
What's the part number on the Kenwood your looking at so I make sure I get the right one..

Thanks for your reply!

MY RIDES
2013 Performance White GT Premium: Tune, CAI, Flowmasters
1970 Mustang 351 Cleveland: MANY mods and improvements
2012 Ford Focus: Rims, Steeda CAI & Tune, Steeda Pro Springs, Steeda Front & Rear Swaybar, Steeda Rear Toe End Link, Magnaflow Catback Exhaust
TheWhiteLight is offline  
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-19-2014
SITE ADMINISTRATOR
Mustang II Member
V6 Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member
 
kenv's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2007
Location: Levittown
Posts: 13,168
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyhoundman View Post
The Kenwood head unit with the Maestro/Idata-link setup is the direction I am planning to head.

I am running a single IDmax 12 on 1100 watts and it is absolutely ridiculous, it sounds great, has no problem hitting low notes, but is still very musical in the upper frequency ranges a sub is capable of......and it can get ridiculously stupidly loud. I built my own custom box but I would not recommend that route if you are not already experienced in enclosure building. Don't overlook the mids and highs they need to be of appropriate quality and powered with a quality amp or the overall system will sound like crap.....
I had that setup in my `13 V6 `vert. While it was nice, you have to cut & splice a couple of wires up behind the glove box for the Sync to work. I found these to be a royal PITA because the wires seem to be no thicker than a couple of human hairs, & the connection that you have to disconnect is in a tough place & when you do get it disconnected, you will find that there is not much wire length to work with. This is all in addition to being on the phone for about an hour with more than one tech from Idata, who are not the friendliest folks to deal with. You will find that this unit is not as "plug & play" as they let on. If I had to do it again, I would not touch it with a 10 foot pole. That is my experience, YMMV

2013 GT CONVERTIBLE GHIG
2015 F-150 King Ranch crew cab

Dogs are not our whole lives, but they make our lives whole.
Saving one dog will not change the world, but surely for that one dog, the world will change forever.
AFM SITE ADMINISTRATOR

NEVER APOLOGIZE FOR BEING PATRIOTIC!
kenv is offline  
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-20-2014 Thread Starter
PONY Member
 
TheWhiteLight's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2014
Location: Houston
Posts: 625
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenv View Post
I had that setup in my `13 V6 `vert. While it was nice, you have to cut & splice a couple of wires up behind the glove box for the Sync to work. I found these to be a royal PITA because the wires seem to be no thicker than a couple of human hairs, & the connection that you have to disconnect is in a tough place & when you do get it disconnected, you will find that there is not much wire length to work with. This is all in addition to being on the phone for about an hour with more than one tech from Idata, who are not the friendliest folks to deal with. You will find that this unit is not as "plug & play" as they let on. If I had to do it again, I would not touch it with a 10 foot pole. That is my experience, YMMV
Thanks for the replies to my thread ken!
Could I keep my stock head unit and get the nav, with the aftermarket subs/speakers/amp? My budget it $2-$4k..

Also do you know how I can open up my shaker door subs on the '13gt i.e. take the grille and chrome off the door subs?

Have you heard of the JL audio stealthbox? Or should I build/get built a box for 2x10s? Do you know any good quality square comp 10s that would be good for the trunk?

PS: saw this kit, but it doesn't look like the highest quality, although it is better than stock.

http://www.stage3motorsports.com/CS6...grade-Kit.html

Thanks, Matt

MY RIDES
2013 Performance White GT Premium: Tune, CAI, Flowmasters
1970 Mustang 351 Cleveland: MANY mods and improvements
2012 Ford Focus: Rims, Steeda CAI & Tune, Steeda Pro Springs, Steeda Front & Rear Swaybar, Steeda Rear Toe End Link, Magnaflow Catback Exhaust
TheWhiteLight is offline  
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-20-2014
SITE ADMINISTRATOR
Mustang II Member
V6 Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member
 
kenv's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2007
Location: Levittown
Posts: 13,168
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWhiteLight View Post
Thanks for the replies to my thread ken!
Could I keep my stock head unit and get the nav, with the aftermarket subs/speakers/amp? My budget it $2-$4k..

Also do you know how I can open up my shaker door subs on the '13gt i.e. take the grille and chrome off the door subs?

Have you heard of the JL audio stealthbox? Or should I build/get built a box for 2x10s? Do you know any good quality square comp 10s that would be good for the trunk?

PS: saw this kit, but it doesn't look like the highest quality, although it is better than stock.

2005-2013 Mustang Kicker CS Speaker Upgrade Kit CS68

Thanks, Matt
Don`t know much about the rest of the stuff, but from what I`ve read, the ring & mounting area that you can see on the outside of the Shaker subs are part of the speaker & not a seperate piece. Also, not sure, but I`ve read that the subs are some goofy 1.8 OHMs (or something like that), so what happens is that most folks just replace the regular speakers & leave the subs alone.

Having said all that, that is the exact setup I think I am going to get for my `13 GT. I don`t know if we have to get the `12 model year speaker rings, or if these speakers will just mount to the doors as is. The `13 GT has a "component" system (sort of)

2013 GT CONVERTIBLE GHIG
2015 F-150 King Ranch crew cab

Dogs are not our whole lives, but they make our lives whole.
Saving one dog will not change the world, but surely for that one dog, the world will change forever.
AFM SITE ADMINISTRATOR

NEVER APOLOGIZE FOR BEING PATRIOTIC!

Last edited by kenv; 04-21-2014 at 06:10 PM.
kenv is offline  
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-21-2014 Thread Starter
PONY Member
 
TheWhiteLight's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2014
Location: Houston
Posts: 625
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenv View Post
Don`t know much about the rest of the stuff, but from what I`ve read, the ring & mountingarea that you can see on the outside of the Shaker subs are part of the speaker & not a seperate piece. Also, not sure, but I`ve read that the subs are some goofy 1.8 OHMs (or something like that), so what happens is that most folks just replace the regular speakers & leave the subs alone.

Having said all that, that is the exact setup I think I am going to get for my `13 GT. I don`t know if we have to get the `12 model year speaker rings, or if these speakers will just mount to the doors as is. The `13 GT has a "component" system (sort of)
Yeah I'll probably get the kit in the link I posted, It looks like a good deal for sure!
The JL audio stealthbox will probably sound good too,
I just wish someone around me had it so I could listen to it lol.

MY RIDES
2013 Performance White GT Premium: Tune, CAI, Flowmasters
1970 Mustang 351 Cleveland: MANY mods and improvements
2012 Ford Focus: Rims, Steeda CAI & Tune, Steeda Pro Springs, Steeda Front & Rear Swaybar, Steeda Rear Toe End Link, Magnaflow Catback Exhaust
TheWhiteLight is offline  
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-25-2014 Thread Starter
PONY Member
 
TheWhiteLight's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2014
Location: Houston
Posts: 625
 
Has anyone built a custom box for there trunk on the 13 or 14? Pics? I really want something custom..

Thanks guys!

TheWhiteLight AKA Matt

MY RIDES
2013 Performance White GT Premium: Tune, CAI, Flowmasters
1970 Mustang 351 Cleveland: MANY mods and improvements
2012 Ford Focus: Rims, Steeda CAI & Tune, Steeda Pro Springs, Steeda Front & Rear Swaybar, Steeda Rear Toe End Link, Magnaflow Catback Exhaust
TheWhiteLight is offline  
PONY Member
 
Greyhoundman's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2011
Location: Ofallon
Posts: 706
 
I built my own enclosure for mine, but it is nothing special, looks quite similar to the Zenclosure box.

I would love to mod a stealthbox to fit my IDmax 12 instead of the 13W3 it comes with.

13 GT base, 3.55, Sterling Grey, MGW shifter, BMR LCA's, GT500 AB, silver RTR's, 275/40/19 Michelin pilot super sports, more stereo equipment than I will admit to, more parts to come.

Greyhoundman is offline  
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-25-2014 Thread Starter
PONY Member
 
TheWhiteLight's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2014
Location: Houston
Posts: 625
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyhoundman View Post
I built my own enclosure for mine, but it is nothing special, looks quite similar to the Zenclosure box.

I would love to mod a stealthbox to fit my IDmax 12 instead of the 13W3 it comes with.
Pics? How much trunk is left? Amp/size of Subs?

TheWhiteLight AKA Matt

MY RIDES
2013 Performance White GT Premium: Tune, CAI, Flowmasters
1970 Mustang 351 Cleveland: MANY mods and improvements
2012 Ford Focus: Rims, Steeda CAI & Tune, Steeda Pro Springs, Steeda Front & Rear Swaybar, Steeda Rear Toe End Link, Magnaflow Catback Exhaust
TheWhiteLight is offline  
PONY Member
 
Greyhoundman's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2011
Location: Ofallon
Posts: 706
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWhiteLight View Post
So do you think 2x10s would be to much?
I have never built an.enclosure, but I have a complete wood working workshop at my disposal, I just don't know what dimension/etc I would need to build.
What amp do you suggest, for my build?
Do you have any pics of your set up?
What's the part number on the Kenwood your looking at so I make sure I get the right one..

Thanks for your reply!
If I were doing it over again i would go for a single 10 maybe an IDmax or IDQ or 10W6 on 6-700 watts, my setup is just stupid, too much bass. Also if you have too much bass the whole car will rattle, Still trying to figure out how to stop the rearview mirror from rattling, really sounds obnoxious.

Do you have a budget in mind? don't blow your cash on subs and neglect the mids and higs and their respective amp(s)

13 GT base, 3.55, Sterling Grey, MGW shifter, BMR LCA's, GT500 AB, silver RTR's, 275/40/19 Michelin pilot super sports, more stereo equipment than I will admit to, more parts to come.

Greyhoundman is offline  
PONY Member
 
Greyhoundman's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2011
Location: Ofallon
Posts: 706
 
Pic attached

IDmax 12 with Alpine MRX110, running at 1100 watts Subs for '13 GT+interior sound upgrades!-2014-04-25-16.27.jpg

And yes I know I need to vacuum out the trunk.

13 GT base, 3.55, Sterling Grey, MGW shifter, BMR LCA's, GT500 AB, silver RTR's, 275/40/19 Michelin pilot super sports, more stereo equipment than I will admit to, more parts to come.

Greyhoundman is offline  
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-25-2014 Thread Starter
PONY Member
 
TheWhiteLight's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2014
Location: Houston
Posts: 625
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyhoundman View Post
If I were doing it over again i would go for a single 10 maybe an IDmax or IDQ or 10W6 on 6-700 watts, my setup is just stupid, too much bass. Also if you have too much bass the whole car will rattle, Still trying to figure out how to stop the rearview mirror from rattling, really sounds obnoxious.

Do you have a budget in mind? don't blow your cash on subs and neglect the mids and higs and their respective amp(s)
No budget really but I'd like to keep it between $1.5k to $3k

TheWhiteLight AKA Matt


MY RIDES
2013 Performance White GT Premium: Tune, CAI, Flowmasters
1970 Mustang 351 Cleveland: MANY mods and improvements
2012 Ford Focus: Rims, Steeda CAI & Tune, Steeda Pro Springs, Steeda Front & Rear Swaybar, Steeda Rear Toe End Link, Magnaflow Catback Exhaust
TheWhiteLight is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome
 


Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1