Experience installing your own radio from Crutchfield? - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-19-2014 Thread Starter
Rookie

Experience installing your own radio from Crutchfield?

My 2006 GT's Shaker 500 audio has an AUX button but no jack. It looks like about $100 to install an external jack. I'd rather spend a little more for a new head unit with Bluetooth and (hopefully) better sound.

Does anyone have experience installing a single-DIN unit from Crutchfield using their install kit and instructions? Any advice or lessons learned would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-19-2014
BOSS Member

IMHO, I have used Crutchfields for 30 years......while they are not the cheapest (they are also no the most expensive) their recommendations I have always found to be right on and the installs are straight forward. They are great to speak with by phone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:hello:
Member: Never trust a person over 40 who drives a Chevy club
Flatheads ain't so bad!
Certified backyard mechanic I & II
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-19-2014
Apprentice

i second crutchfield, i have used them many times and price is almost always one of the best and they are very knowledgeable people. i love that they include the install kits with the headunits

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-20-2014
Apprentice

I've also used them and am happy shopping there. I ordered a Kenwood double din recently. The price for the head unit alone wasn't any higher than anywhere else online. What I like about them is all the extras and support you get from them. Install kits, PDF instructions, harnesses, adapters. I was able to add a subwoofer and also keep my shaker500 amps/subs connected to one of the preamps with the extra wiring kits they sent.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-20-2014
Apprentice

if you use their online chat, they will even help you decide on various things and help add them to your cart and make sure you have all parts needed for the install
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-20-2014
GT Member
2.3L Member
S197 Member

Garage
++1 for using crutchfield. I also have used them for many years across several vehicles. they are very helpful and have all the answers you need. IIRC they added the dash kit, wiring harness and speaker adaptors for free. they also emailed me the interior disassembly instructions. for the Mustang with the shaker system you will need a Y RCA splitter (1 male to 2 female) to get your door subs to work. I will go "window shopping" when I want to upgrade so I can check out functionality and options on head units then when I find the one I want ill go right to crutchfield and get it on its way. sometimes other stores have what im looking for for just a bit cheaper but you have to get all accessories (dashkit, harness, antenna adaptors...ECT) and those are included thru crutchfield. good luck

Lots of bolt on goodies...
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-20-2014
PONY Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Ditto for me. Installed a DBL DIN Clarion head unit, all new speakers and door woofers to replace the 500 shaker sounds great. also supports sirus and iPod connection. Pricing is reasonable and Crutchfield tech support is nothing short of fantastic!!

There is no such thing as to much horespower..!!
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-21-2014
PONY Member

Bought my stereo through crutchfield, no problems what-so-ever. If you're familiar with installing stereo equipment it's easy, the only thing that's even remotely different from any other car is installing the voltage regulator to the signal telling the factory amp to turn on, and even that was simple.

I got new speakers (inexpensive speakers, but better than my blown stock speakers) and then a little later added a head unit. The head unit made a MUCH more significant different in sound quality than the speakers did.

And FWIW Crutchfield reports that no flip-down head units will work in our cars... this is only somewhat true. At least in my experience a flip-down head unit will fit and the face plate will flip down just far enough to get a CD in and out, it just doesn't fold down all the way. I got the Pioneer DEH-X9500BHS and love it. I rarely use CDs anyway so when I do the minor inconvenience of having limited access space is tolerable.

2005 Windveil Blue GT (MT)
93H Bama tune, JLT Series 3 CAI, FRPP CMDPs, Pype bomb super system, 3.73 gears, Steeda shift bushings, Saleen short shift block
Steeda ultralite springs, Tokiko D-specs, J&M Extreme joint UCA/LCAs, PHB, C/C plates, bumpsteer kit, Steeda Q1S wheels, 2011 GT brakes, 275/40R18 Sumi HTR Ziii tires
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-21-2014
Rookie

I just purchased a pioneer headset from Crutchfield and just installed it this morning. They shipped it to me in like two days, and the unit sounds amazing! Plus they sent me all the necessary installation gear. I didn't have any trouble with installation in my 99 mustang coupe, and I have never done any wiring at all prior to that. I definitely recommend Crutchfield!
GT Member

Garage
Another vote for Crutchfield. Their service is great, and they include what you need for a basic install. There prices are also competitive.

2006 GT, Strut Tower Brace, Gas Hood Struts, FR Intake Plenum cover, Metal Fuse Box cover, Moroso brake reservoir cover, Rear shock tower brace, Front Bumper Lip Spoiler, JVC DVD Head unit w/ back-up camera, satellite Radio and USB input, 2 - 12" sub-woofers, 4 - 6"x8" speakers, 2 - 6.5" speakers to replace the door subs, 3 amplifiers, LED lights under the hood and in the trunk, chrome e-handle on parking brake handle, chrome cup holder trim, and trunk lid cover with running pony emblem.

Apprentice

Crutchfield is great don't get me wrong. But all of their items are retail.

Personally, I find what I want and read the reviews on Crutchfield, then buy of amazon for 20ish% less.

Kenwood DD FTW!

Cheers,
-Matt

I'm not a "tuner", I am a ecu software engineer. Its different.

2011 GT500 = It gets me from A to B

If you want good technical help. Put your Year, trim, engine, and PCM code in your post! Its easier that way
PONY Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

With all due respect, you may find it cheaper, but you can't beat Crutchfield's technical support...try getting that from Amazon.

There is no such thing as to much horespower..!!
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWShovel View Post
With all due respect, you may find it cheaper, but you can't beat Crutchfield's technical support...try getting that from Amazon.

There is no doubt there!

-Matt

I'm not a "tuner", I am a ecu software engineer. Its different.

2011 GT500 = It gets me from A to B

If you want good technical help. Put your Year, trim, engine, and PCM code in your post! Its easier that way
Rookie
4.6L Member
S197 Member

So I ordered a new head unit for my 14 Mustang. Ordered it via Crutchfield over the phone. It arrives and they didn't include the antenna adapter. So I call them and the guy has one sent to me two day air. Cool right? So then I start to try and flash the Maestro RR adapter and it's dead. Nothing happening when I plug it in to the USB. After three hours of playing with computer settings, drivers, etc. I throw in the towel and call Crutchfield. The guy says he will send a new one out to me but does so standard shipping, meaning next week. It made no sense that they would ship the antenna adapter two day air but wouldn't do the same for a part that was bad from them. I just gave you over $1400! Come on!
Today I decided that I wasn't going to wait until next week to install what I bought last week. I found a new Maestro RR box locally and bought it. Worked like a charm so when the one gets here next week I will send it back along with the bad one. Just beware when you order from them that you are at their (and UPS) mercy and can end up waiting if something goes wrong.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-11-2014 Thread Starter
Rookie

Original Poster's Results

Original poster here.

I ordered a Sony single DIN with dual USB and Bluetooth from Crutchfield. They sent me the installation instructions as part of my order confirmation so I was able to get familiar with them before the unit even arrived. Included with the unit, free of charge was everything else I needed for the install, including the dual to single DIN adaptor, wiring harness, and 12V to 5V convertor for the woofers. The only other thing I purchased were some wire connectors that screw instead of crimp.

True to other's posts, the instructions clearly explained how to take everything apart to get to the existing radio. The wiring diagram was very clear as well and it was nice to wire everything at my kitchen table instead of leaning into a dashboard. The only issues I ran into were (a) trying to figure out which of the 2 options for fastening the radio to the dash adaptor I should use for the best fit/look and (b) the RCA connectors for the woofers collided with a steel support bar behind the radio so I had to by a couple right angle adaptors from Radio Shack. Crutchfield's tech support helped me to resolve those quickly.

Otherwise, it all went together without any problems, which I consider a success for someone whose last install was an FM convertor in about 1978.

So, for about $30 more than the quoted price to install an auxiliary jack, and a little work, I have a new radio with a lot more features.

I would definitely recommend Crutchfield and a self-install if you're even slightly handy. They make it pretty easy.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
crutchfield , shaker 500

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page