1999 Mustang Stereo replacement. Any advice very much appreciated! - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-20-2014 Thread Starter
Rookie

1999 Mustang Stereo replacement. Any advice very much appreciated!

Hi guys, I have just bought a new Pioneer DEH-X8500BH headset for my 99 v6 Mustang coupe. I am thinking about trying to install it myself, but I have never put in a radio before. Can anyone give any installation advice? Is this something that a beginner is going to be able to do or not? Thanks for any help!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-20-2014
PONY Member
4.6L Member

I just put in my aftermarket stereo in my 2000 GT last week, and I was a complete beginner to this whole sort of thing. It is incredibly hard to find actual professional videos and info on this matter, so you will be doing a lot on your own. I'll try to help you with what I can. Beware, there's a lot of text.

Because our years shared the same style of radio, I am going to assume you have one single DIN stereo deck/cassette player and one single DIN CD player. Hopefully you understand what I mean by DIN.

You need to pick up a set of Ford stereo removal tools. Scosche DT1 - DIN Radio Removal Tool: Auto Electronics : Walmart.com

This video will help show you how to remove the factory stereo. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-eW0CIJW0c

2000 Mustang GT
Black/Black 5speed
Performance: stock

My pride and joy, my first car ever. Bought on 6/2/2013.

Check it out at my channel here: youtube.com/mustangfanatic95
Expect more vids in the Spring: Car shows, cruises, fly-bys, etc.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-20-2014
PONY Member
4.6L Member

The CD deck is the same. They are going to be a pain to remove the cables and clips, because it's been sitting for 15 years like that, so be patient, and try not to break anything.

Now that everythings removed, you will have two square looking black harnesses, one long gray/tan harness, an antenna plug, and an amp "ground" hookup. It's the one thats black and connects to a metal slit on the factory stereo. You don't need to worry about this hookup. You also don't have to worry about the cables that hook up to the CD deck. I wrapped this unused hook ups with electrical tape. Not sure if necessary, but I don't want anything short circuiting back there. Good precautionary.

Now, you need to buy a wire harness. For my stereo, I went to best buy and asked them to type in the details and they went way in the back to pull out the correct harness. It'll have two harnesses in it, one for the speaker wires (black box, has 8 wires coming out of it) and one for the power of the deck (I believe color is gray, long rectangle). I do not remember the number of the product (I think I threw away the bag ) but they should be able to help you out. Just make sure to ask "Can I get help from someone who really knows how to install aftermarket stereos?", otherwise they'll send just about anyone up there to help you.

You will also need to buy crimping connectors. You can buy a few packs of them for less than $5 at radio shack. Just make sure to get at least 20 of them, because you will be making mistakes. Here's a video on how to crimp wires:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2R38e4XVhLo

2000 Mustang GT
Black/Black 5speed

Last edited by Mustang_Fanatic95; 04-21-2014 at 06:12 PM.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-20-2014
PONY Member
4.6L Member

Match the colors of the wires from the aftermarket stereo to the colors of the wire harness. Your instruction manual for the deck should tell you what color does what, and if you buy the harness from best buy, it'll have instructions on which colors does what too. Crimp the colors together, making sure you have a solid connection. I like to wrap the crimp connectors in electrical tape to make sure there are no shorts, to make it more secure, and keep it looking cleaner.

Now, to make things more difficult, if you have a mach 460 audio system (I think you do, although I'm not sure if v6's have those), Ford put in 3 stock amps. One under the CD player, and two in the trunk. They are 5V amps. Your stereo deck will be putting out 12V. Because this is not balanced, every time you turn your car on the speakers will make a very loud pop. It gave me a headache. Do not skip this step, because you will become very tired of this pop and end up doing this anyway.

This is a very well made instructional video on how to tie two resistors together and ground out a lot of the voltage, making the pop so quiet it's almost nonexistent. You can pick up the two 1k ohm .25 watt resistors at Radio Shack for $1.50 a piece. Follow the video carefully and it'll be easy.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vFIe3IIJIds

2000 Mustang GT
Black/Black 5speed

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-20-2014
PONY Member
4.6L Member

Connect all the harnesses, plug in the antenna, and slide the new deck in. You're all set to rock out, without the annoying amp pop to boot.

If you want to cover up your slot where the CD player used to be, you can pick one of the universal cubbies off of ebay for pretty cheap.

1991 2000 Nissan Infiniti G20 I30 M30 Q45 Single DIN Radio Stereo Dash Kit Trim | eBay

You're all set. I know, it sounds super challenging, and I typed a lot, but if I cut anything out it would only be more confusing, and it's not that hard. I knew nothing about resistors, voltage, crimping, cutting wires, anything like that 5 days ago. It took me a lot of research and asking around. It's not something you can do in one sitting either. It'll take some time, but it sure is worth it. Love rocking out to my phone's music now. Let me know if you have any more questions. Good luck!

2000 Mustang GT
Black/Black 5speed

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-20-2014 Thread Starter
Rookie

Thank you so much Mustang Fanatic95! You have been more helpful than anything I could find online or the instruction sheets that I have. I'm looking forwards to getting started.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-20-2014 Thread Starter
Rookie

One more question though, I have a small bundle of wires marked " System remote control" I see where it plugs into the set, but I don't know where to connect the wires. And Is this for the remote control handpeice or for steering wheel controls? Because if its for the steering wheel, I don't plan on using that anyway.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-20-2014
PONY Member
4.6L Member

Hmm.. system remote control.. Well, the buttons on your steering wheel actually control your cruise control system, not your audio like other (newer) cars.

Where is this system remote control you're talking about? Are these wires coming out of the mustang or your pioneer stereo?

And you're very welcome! I'm glad you took the time to read it all.

2000 Mustang GT
Black/Black 5speed

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-20-2014 Thread Starter
Rookie

System Remote Control wire is on the new radio. but the end of it is covered up with a little sticker paper with the words on it, so I;m pretty sure I don't have to mess with it.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-21-2014 Thread Starter
Rookie

Stereo installed and sounding terrific! Installation was super easy and I had a great time with it. I did have to use the blue and white wire, it turns on the amp. I am so glad I didn't pay somebody to put it in for me!
PONY Member
4.6L Member

Ohhh I understand now that you said the blue and white wire. Yes, that's the turn on amp wire.. Oops.

Sounds like you got it figured out though. Did you end up having to create the two resistor combo?

Good to hear you got it all installed. Congratuations

2000 Mustang GT
Black/Black 5speed

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
99 mustang , radio , radio install , stereo upgrade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page