Ford Accessories Site - Alarm w/ IR Sensor - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-14-2014 Thread Starter
PONY Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Ford Accessories Site - Alarm w/ IR Sensor

I'm thinking about purchasing Alarm from Ford and having dealership install. Anyone have experience with this product and it's installation?
Any info appreciated....

http://accessories.ford.com/alarm.html

2014 GT/CS - MT82 - 3.73 - 19's
Charcoal Interior - Glass Roof - Comfort Pkg - Electronic Pkg - Shaker Pro - No Mods

Last edited by SquidBillyPaul; 06-14-2014 at 04:36 PM. Reason: Added Ford Link
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-16-2014
SHELBY GT 350 Member

I scored one on either Amazon/Ebay for about $120 and put it in myself. I've put in various stereos so I have a clue but ain't a pro. It should have taken me 8 hrs the first time and by the third I would say 3 hours. However there were a couple of issues...it ended up taking about 20 hours!!!!

so the original instal took 8 hrs but it didn't work that included installing the LED which Ford will not install they just tape it under the dash, so the next day I double checked my connections = good the next day I triple checked my wires = good. I then pulled it out and reinstalled it with the wires in the open since I had no clue what to do. Now let me describe the alarm, you get a box with two different harness assemblies box is made by CodeAlarm for various mfrs you just change out harness and this chip. when I was checking for the 4th time I saw that although the instructions said "connect the blue wire with red stripe to the dome light" and "yellow wire to passenger door lock switch" when I looked at the colors on the harness they didn't go to the correct input pins....WTF so I ignored colors and hooked it up right. Well although it now did a few things it didn't work so I ended up calling Codealarm. Now let me say I fix stuff for a living and can talk to techs...he asked a bunch of questions which I had good answers for then he said "maybe you got a bad one" when I asked how to get a replacement he said "go to the parts department and swap it out." and was surprised I didn't work at a dealer. Well, I didn't buy from him so I was going to talk with the seller. However I noticed the chip which mounts on a plastic piece that snaps onto the alarm box was glued in the wrong position so it wouldn't line up with the slots...I bent an offset into the cover to get it to align and Voila it worked!!!

However I had wires running across the car and had to re-install it with hidden wires..yep 20 hrs.

Oh yeah, they talk about the i/r sensor but unless you have the dome light with the translucent piece in it you won't have that. It is a decent system that works off the factory alarm but I regret not getting it from the factory. If you need hints let me know.

2012 V6 traded in for a 2017 VW GTI.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-16-2014 Thread Starter
PONY Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Wow... thanks for the detailed response. The only reason I wanted to get the alarm was to have the IR sensor. Dang it! Mine has the two map lights with the open plastic grill btween them. Looked in the grill and didn't see anything except a small opening with what looks like felt covering it. Oh well...... I'll keep looking.
Thanks again fot the great response!
-Paul

2014 GT/CS - MT82 - 3.73 - 19's
Charcoal Interior - Glass Roof - Comfort Pkg - Electronic Pkg - Shaker Pro - No Mods

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-19-2014
PONY Member
Mustang II Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Mud View Post
Oh yeah, they talk about the i/r sensor but unless you have the dome light with the translucent piece in it you won't have that. It is a decent system that works off the factory alarm but I regret not getting it from the factory. If you need hints let me know.
Did it look like purchasing the IR sensor from Ford would have made the IR function of the alarm work as per the instructions?
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-19-2014
BOSS Member

If you are "handy" at all or have a very close friend/relative who you trust, you can purchase a unit just like that one with all the instructions to install in an almost plug n play oem fashion...check out...Car Alarms & Remote Start at Crutchfield.com

:hello:
Member: Never trust a person over 40 who drives a Chevy club
Flatheads ain't so bad!
Certified backyard mechanic I & II
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-20-2014
SHELBY GT 350 Member

Cobra, I didn't look hard but think it would.

2012 V6 traded in for a 2017 VW GTI.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page