Mach 460 speakers issues - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-20-2014 Thread Starter
Apprentice
5.0L Member

Mach 460 speakers issues

95 GT Convertible with aftermarket head unit.

My tweeters work both front & back but the front & rear woofer or mids don't 6x8 front & 5.25 rear.

Checked fuses all or fine.

Has dual amps in back & I disconnected the drivers side with no result (loss of sound) What should I check the amplifier with? I have a multi meter.

If it is the amplifier can I use what I want or is the 460 specific?

Tell me what to check & how or what to get

here's some pics if needed egull64's Library | Photobucket

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-21-2014
GT Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by egull64 View Post
95 GT Convertible with aftermarket head unit.

My tweeters work both front & back but the front & rear woofer or mids don't 6x8 front & 5.25 rear.

Checked fuses all or fine.

Has dual amps in back & I disconnected the drivers side with no result (loss of sound) What should I check the amplifier with? I have a multi meter.

If it is the amplifier can I use what I want or is the 460 specific?

Tell me what to check & how or what to get

here's some pics if needed egull64's Library | Photobucket

Thanks
It is most likely the way the head unit is hooked into the harness. Pull it out and take a peek.

Odds are, if the wires were cut it is because the proper harness wasn't used. Should be Metra Part No. 70-5510. I believe it has two sets of RCA preouts on it, one of which goes to a dedicated sub output on the head unit and the other which goesd to either a front or back preout, but its been a minute since I messed with that...

Matt

2006 GT - Vortech polished w/ intercooler, Eibach suspension, Hurst short-throw, some other goodies - tuned by Paul's High Performance. It moves...

and it collects dust admirably while parked for repairs in the garage...

SOLD - 1995 Black Mustang GT, AODE. Loved it, but I had to let it go...

mjmalegalsolutions.com
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-21-2014 Thread Starter
Apprentice
5.0L Member

Thanks for the info as I've seen your post saying that harness is the only 1 that works with a Mach 460.

I'll give it a look and see what I can find

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-21-2014 Thread Starter
Apprentice
5.0L Member

I tried to look at the head unit from the drivers side & couldn't see any thing (disconnected wires) Does this mean I need to take it out?

If so is their a link as how to do it?

Thanks
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-22-2014
GT Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Head unit should slide right out - insert the u-hooks or whatever the particular head unit requires into the sides on the front of the radio. There are normally holes or slots on the side designed to accommodate the tool - this causes the clips that hold it in place to retract into the head unit, and it will just slide right out.

I am assuming it is installed correctly.

Matt

2006 GT - Vortech polished w/ intercooler, Eibach suspension, Hurst short-throw, some other goodies - tuned by Paul's High Performance. It moves...

mjmalegalsolutions.com
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-22-2014 Thread Starter
Apprentice
5.0L Member

matt,

I was just getting ready to look at it. I have no idea if the head unit is installed correctly as it was there when I bought the car. This is a JVC head unit so will it still have the holes?
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-22-2014 Thread Starter
Apprentice
5.0L Member

Matt,

here is the pice I just took. 3 wires weren't connected on the lower part (below the head unit)

Here is a link to them let me what you think
egull64's Library | Photobucket

Thanks
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-23-2014
GT Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

It looks like the wiring harnesses are partially intact. I believe (don't quote me - it has been years since I put a stereo in my old sn) one of the three connectors you showed hook up to the harness adapter I referenced before. It is one of the two square ones, I think the one with the larger diameter gray wire going into it, although I am not positive. I believe (don't quote me if I am wrong because my car didn't have this feature) that the smaller square one was the connector between the Mach 460 head unit and the CD player that fit in the hole under it. The third connector with the red on it I am not so sure...

There should be a larger (wider) rectangular connector that is I think 8 pins wide and has a big bundle of smaller speaker wire sized wire going into it from the factory harness.

Here is the part with a pic of the two connectors that your factory harness should plug into:

Metra Part # 70-5510 | Ford wire harness | Metra Online

Matt

mjmalegalsolutions.com
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-23-2014 Thread Starter
Apprentice
5.0L Member

Matt,

Do I need to take the head unit out? I'm having problems finding the holes (were u put the puller) to get the unit out. I'm assuming it works the same as the old unit but I don't know for sure
GT Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

You're just going to have to try to look and figure out how the radio is held in - the Ford factory unit has two holes on either side of the face that you put a u-shaped hook into and then use the hooks to pull it out. My pioneer had kind of a lower-case d-shaped hook with a notch on the end that slid into a slot and then you pulled it out by using the bottom of the d-shape as a handle.

Heck it may even just be slid in there and being held in by nothing more than gravity - have you tried just sliding it out? The metal "box" that the head unit in is separate from the head unit itself. Even if the head unit is stuck in the box because you cannot get the clips to retract, maybe the box itself is simply slid into the factory opening.

If I had to guess, I think that radio requires the d-shaped tool.

jvc removal tool | eBay

I also think the slots are behind the faceplate if it is detachable.

Matt

mjmalegalsolutions.com
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-23-2014 Thread Starter
Apprentice
5.0L Member

Hey Matt,

Just got done taking the head unit out & found a bunch of stuff....lol
I have attached the pics to my photo bucket.

Here is what I saw: HU has only pre amp out, & there is a blue RCA plugged into that. Forgot to mention when I got the car had a subwoofer in the trunk that these RCA jacks run to. All removed now. There is 1 plug in which I disconnected and the speakers didn't work then plugged in & only the tweeters worked not the others!! The RCA'S don't do anything....LOL

Let me know what you think.

Thanks

post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-24-2014 Thread Starter
Apprentice
5.0L Member

Matt,

Looks as there are 2 relays coming out of the main harness. One for the smaller plug (black) in that connects to the radio & another 1 (grey) that has some wires spliced together. The grey 1 has a blue & white wire which is not connected could this be the wire for the amps?
That's what I was told by metra

see my new pics!!

Thanks

GT Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Your pics make it tough because you're looking at the wrong side of the connector - the wires between the connector and the radio are meaningless - what we should be focusing on is whether the wires going into the connector from the factory wiring harness are intact first.

If all the wires running from the car to the connector are good, then buying the appropriate connector is the first step.

The amp lead for the Mach 460 (in the factory harness) IS NOT blue/white - it is just dark blue. It should go into pin 1 on the 8-pin plug. Typically, the amp turn-on lead from an aftermarket radio is blue/white.

That being said - the Mach 460 is not going to be easy to get to work correctly with only one set of preouts on the head unit. The Metra harness has two sets in it - one is for the woofers in the rear deck, which need to be fed by a signal that has a low-pass cross-over on it. The other is for the tweeters and (maybe) the speakers in the door which needs a mid-pass cross-over on it. That's why I mentioned hooking one up to the dedicated sub-output on the head unit (built in low-pass cross-over) and the other to a front or rear "regular" output.

Matt

mjmalegalsolutions.com
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-25-2014 Thread Starter
Apprentice
5.0L Member

Matt,

thanks for all the help!! I'll be an expert by the time I figure this out.

I looked for what you said a dark blue wire & found none on the 2 harnesses I had found. Upon looking further I found a 3rd harness which had a DARK BLUE WIRE...Now I am confused....lol

So what I did is connect the BLACK connecter (1 that works the radio now) into the harness that I found.....still didn't work nothing came out of the speakers (any) So I disconnected the GREY harness and the power went out to the radio...so now I know that the GREY HARNESS supplies the power and the BLACK HARNESS supplies sound to the TWEETERS.

That being said I can't find a DRAK BLUE wire in the 2 harnesses I originally found. I took pictures of all 3 harnesses with the wires going into them. They all are fine no spliced wires are anything.

I wouldn't think it would be this hard to see if the amps work That's all I'm trying to do, any suggestions as what to do?

Here's a link to the new pictures:egull64's Library | Photobucket

First 3 pics & you can see the DARK BLUE wire in the first pic...this is the harness I just found today.
GT Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

This pic shows the 8-pin connector. The blue wire should be the factory wire to turn on the amps. That wire needs to be connected to the "amp turn on lead" from the head unit I believe. On the Metra harness this corresponds to a blue/white wire, and most after-market head units also use a blue/white wire.

NEWGREYHARNESSFOUND725_zpsb98070d5.jpg Photo by egull64 | Photobucket

One of those harnesses is for the factory cd player. The problem (I think) is that you are using the CD player harness which doesn't have an amp turn on lead in it.

And here's where I'm going to tell you I am by no means an expert and I have no idea what the connections between the factory cd player and the factory head unit are.

Matt

mjmalegalsolutions.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page