I need help removing the Mach 460 system - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-22-2014 Thread Starter
Apprentice

I need help removing the Mach 460 system

I have a 2003 Mustang Mach 1 and Ive noticed that there is no Aux plug or USB plug therefore, I cant plug my IPOD In. Whats the best way to remove the system? Should I use the factory wires and remove the stock amps and put a 4 Channel amp, or should I rewire 4 sets of wires? Where can I get a wiring diagram? Thanks guys.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-22-2014 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Can I do it this way? Im new to car audio so bare with me. I get a wiring harness that goes to my car which will have the wires (Yellow, Red, black) Battery, Run, ground. I connect those to the aftermarket deck wiring harness. I tape away the speaker wires from the deck wiring harness. I install 4 sets of speaker wire that goes to the 4 channel amp to the speakers. I have the illumination wires, remote wire and 12 volt installed. I install in 2 sets of RCAs from the desk to the amp. Will this method work or am I missing anything?

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-22-2014
Rookie

If I was to switch out the mach 460 system completely, which i'm going to do on my '00, I would start with the cd player.

I already did this part on mine and the idiot before me cut the factory harness out, so I had to go wire to wire, no harness. If your harness is still all there, like it should be, yea just buy the adapter and hook it up to your aftermarket cd player.

For the speakers, I would go with a 4 channel amp, and all new speakers. To do that, I would mount my new 4 channel amp in the spot the current amps are for the mach 460 system and throw away the old amps. (you could probably sell them if you wanted to though.)

I would then run the wires like i would my subs. hide them in the panels all they way back to the trunk. Power wire from battery, make a solid ground spot, (I used the metal behind the seats in my '96) and then run the rca's and remote wires from the cd player to the amp.

hooking the wires into amps isn't that difficult and is pretty self explanatory.

From the amp to the speakers: Rear speakers are easy since I would be putting my amp right under them.

Front speakers, I would just back track my wires in the panels up to the front of the door and put them through the doors service ports. Take the door panels off, then plug them in. Just have to get the tips on the wires so this plug into speakers easily.

If your getting new speakers, they should come with a little wire and the tips for making them easy to plug in.

Taking the door panel off: First is the tweeters, the cover pulls off, then there is a little screw holding it in to the right of the tweeter. then two pieces will come off with a screw driver on the door panel, the one covering the controls, and a piece going around the door handle. After the pop outs are removed, the controls should have two screws holding them in, then I think there are two harnesses to unplug. There should be two screws on the door panel holding it in and a retainer on the outside of the panel at the front. After those are all out, just pull the panel up, and pull it out.

Taking off the rear deck: I believe there is a disconnect on the driver side to disconnect everything, so you don't have to unplug the harness from the amps. I am not for sure though. If not, just unplug the 2 harnesses on each amp, and the harness on the middle of the deck on the front side. Also pull out the retainers. Easiest way I to drop the deck, in my opinion, is by taking off the rear seats headrest, then taking off the speakers cover. After those are off, there are 6 studs with 2 nuts on each, one nut below, one nut above. I took off all of the top nuts then the whole deck drops.

Hope I helped some. Not sure what you know how to do, and what you don't know how to do. So just put everything I could think of off of the top of my head. Sorry if my explanations aren't easy to understand.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-22-2014
Apprentice

Personally I think the Mach 460 sound system sounds great. If you swap out your head unit then get a new one with a strong output and don't worry about wiring up another amplifier for the speakers. The only reason I have an amp is for the subwoofers I have thrown in the trunk.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-22-2014
Apprentice

My setup is as follows: Kenwood DDX419, Stock amplified Mach 460 speakers, 600 Watt Kenwood amplifier that powers two Kenwood KFC 11 inchers. I can turn it all the way to the max without any distortion, all though I have never had to turn it up past half way
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-22-2014 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Oh cool so for now, I can get a new head unit and keep the speakers? I was told that the head unit conflicts with the factory amps. I want to get the Apline IVE-W530. Ive heard good reviews on this double Din head unit.
I will need this right?

http://www.amazon.com/Metra-70-1771-Harness-Lincoln-1998-Up/dp/B0002BEWZQ
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-22-2014
Apprentice

Great choice! I would suggest buying it from this website Alpine IVE-W530 Double-DIN Car Stereo w/ Bluetooth
when you go to check out they will ask you for the year make model and then choose mustang with Mach audio system. they'll give you the proper harness and dash kit for a smooth install! And that interference thing almost sounds like a scare tactic to get you to buy more because for me the Audio is perfectly clear and strong!
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-22-2014 Thread Starter
Apprentice

I just found out that the deck is only good for Iphone. I have an Android phone which means I need to find one that supports Android. Whats you guys input on the Pioneer AVH-4000NEX? Its expensive but I think it does just about everything
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page