'05-'14 Stealthbox Users - what power are you running? - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 07-30-2014 Thread Starter
Apprentice

'05-'14 Stealthbox Users - what power are you running?

I'm stuck trying to decide on an amp for my system, and the sticking point comes down to how much power I really need (and can afford) for the Stealthbox.

I see all Stealthbox subs since 2005 use the same 13W3v3 driver.

A little about my system:
Shaker 500, non-nav. Keeping stock head unit, adding a Bit Ten DSP & staying factory-looking.
Have JL Audio C2-570x for the rear.
Have Focal Flax PS 130F for the front
And of course, the JL Stealthbox for the rear.

I'm trying to piece together a really great sounding system as cost-effectively as possible. I'm 52, not 25, and after clarity at all volumes, not looking to thump the 'hood. To that end, used and/or refurb gear is OK by me. I've done the $10K system before & this isn't that.

I've gone back & forth on the amp brand - PPI, RF, JL, even Audison/Focal/etc - decided to stick with the middle of the road JL XD series. I think PPI may be too low end for the clarity & fidelity I seek w/ the Focals & Bit Ten, and the Audison/Focal price amps are just too little benefit for the money over a mid-grade JL XD.

I'm down to the XD 700/5 or the XD 1000/5.

The only difference I can see is sub power - 300W vs 600W. Clearly more is better, and I know that's only 3dB of difference - will I really ever notice that?

I've searched & searched, and the XD1000/5 just seems a little out of my budget right now. I'm looking for some confirmation from someone with the XD700/5 & a Stealthbox that I'll be 99.9% satisfied at the musical level, not the "thump the 'hood" level. (Or from someone running 300W & that Stealthbox....anyone?)

My thinking is I can get a XD700/5 a couple months sooner than a 1000/5 & finish out my system that much sooner - and that, at 52, I won't miss those 3dB anywhere.

And, worst case, I can still upgrade next year to a XD600/1 if I really need to.

So - stealth factory HU, awesome sound, but not ear splitting SPL, how does that Stealthbox sound with ~300W??

2013 Premium V6/Auto, Pony Package, Ingot Silver, JLT CAI & Bama 93P Tune.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 09-04-2014
Apprentice

Check out the alpine one i have had both and for the w3 subs you want to feed it as close to 500 to get the most out of it without blowing it.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page