Dual Amp Mounting - 2013 Coupe - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-08-2014 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Dual Amp Mounting - 2013 Coupe

I have 2 small digital amps - JL Audio XD400/4 & a 600/1 for the sub. I have a JL Audio Stealthbox. I'm looking for recommendations on locations & methods to mount the amps. I searched the forums & didn't see what I was after:

-Need both amps to be mounted together
-Thinking the trunk is best/easiest for that
-Stealthbox takes up passenger side back corner
-I do have a spare in the space for one.
-I *never* fold down the seats.

Is there enough room under the left side panel for both amps? I've seen one mounted there.

I'm thinking an amp board just behind the seats would be perfect - facing the seats, so you'd have to flip a seat down to get to the amps. Would take up only a couple inches of space. Has anyone done this? How do you mount the board? Anyone have a template? Will the amps overheat?

2013 Premium V6/Auto, Pony Package, Ingot Silver, JLT CAI & Bama 93P Tune.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-08-2014
PONY Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

I don't use rear speakers so I mounted my Alpines to the underside of the rear speaker deck...also with those rear speakers out, the openings act as a great pass-through for the sub. Class D amps typically do not have issues with overheating unless you have it cranked all the time with the gains way up...

Last edited by percy072; 08-29-2014 at 09:11 PM.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-08-2014 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Thanks for the idea. My JL amp manual says not to mount them upside down there. I will be using rear speakers for fill too. Soooo....not an option.

I found this by searching Google images - that's close to what I'm after, but not quite. (Don't want the amps to show).

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-09-2014
PONY Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Mounting amps upside down is one of those debated topics that usually has to do with how they disperse heat...but with class D amps being as efficient as they are it is (in real world) not really a concern but I can appreciate your wanting to stick with JL's recommendation. I believe alpine says the same thing. I've had that MRX-F30 mounted like that for years with no issues...and just recently moved the PDX up there to make room for my new sub enclosure, and it is handy to have easy access to the gain's, crossovers etc

I like what the guy did in that link, but I do occasionally take advantage of the rear seat pass through. Other than maybe somehow mounting them in the spare tire area...that amp board idea looks good.

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-09-2014 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Thanks. I have never used the trunk pass through - I have a Jeep & a trailer for the big things. Honestly, had I not read the manual, I wouldn't know they even folded down!

And since I have a spare in the spare tire well, I'm kind of left with this board idea. The JL XD series amps are small - I'm wondering if I can get away with a board covering only one of the back seats to leave the option open for the seat pass through use at some point.

That was my original thinking when I wrote this thread. Now that I've looked at the board in that other post three or four times, I like the idea of bolting the board to the car on both sides like he did. My only question is - if I mount the amps on the opposite of the board, will they hit the seats or clear them?

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-10-2014
PONY Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Looking at those photo's again, and taking a quick look in my car, we have those same corner brace brackets which are still at least 6-8" away from the rear seats. There would be tons of room if you mounted amps facing the back of the rear seat as you described...

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-10-2014 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Awesome! Thanks for the help. I wish I could get a pattern before starting, but it guess I need to do *some* work! LOL!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page