Speaker level inputs to Sub question - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-12-2014 Thread Starter
Rookie

Speaker level inputs to Sub question

I just replaced the factory speakers and I am now looking to add an Infinity BassLink to my 2012 base system.
Another poster installed a sub using the speaker inputs and found out that the shaker system filters the lows to the speakers and had issues with the lack of bass. He was able to fix his issues but his problem got me thinking:

The base HU really cuts the bass as the volume goes up. So I'm guessing that I will suffer the same issue if I use the speaker level in option. Will an LOC like the LC6i lessen the bass reduction by the HU? I am considering a small 4ch amp as well so the LC6i giving me a third set of RCAs out makes it a front runner.

Any thoughts?

Getting older faster than I'm getting wiser.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-12-2014
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtwallet View Post
I just replaced the factory speakers and I am now looking to add an Infinity BassLink to my 2012 base system.
Another poster installed a sub using the speaker inputs and found out that the shaker system filters the lows to the speakers and had issues with the lack of bass. He was able to fix his issues but his problem got me thinking:

The base HU really cuts the bass as the volume goes up. So I'm guessing that I will suffer the same issue if I use the speaker level in option. Will an LOC like the LC6i lessen the bass reduction by the HU? I am considering a small 4ch amp as well so the LC6i giving me a third set of RCAs out makes it a front runner.

Any thoughts?
Yup, I'm the 'other poster' (and I used to have a basslink in a different car). On the shaker systems the speakers a filtered (low frequencies are cut off and routed to the sub). In the 'base' system the speakers 'should' all have full range. I would start by attaching the basslink speaker level inputs to the rear speaker terminals, (keep the polarity correct) then adjust the crossover frequency of the basslink, then the gain and the bass boost.

if you are going to amp, then you could use LOC into your amp (many amps have a line out to feed a sub amp. You could then connect the line out of your 4 channel amp to the line in of the basslink.

good luck...

2014 - V6 Premium w/ Pony Pkg ~ Boss 302 Strut Brace ~ Infinity 6832's speakers ~ Bazooka BTA6100 Sub Tube ~ Matte Black Stripes ~ FRPP 18x8.5 Matte Black Bullit Wheels ~ Air Raid CAI ~ MBRP S7242304 Exhaust

post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-13-2014 Thread Starter
Rookie

I wasn't comfortable mentioning you by name. Seems gossipy to me.

Any idea how the factory HU reduces the bass output? Built in crossover of some sort?

Getting older faster than I'm getting wiser.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-13-2014
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtwallet View Post
I wasn't comfortable mentioning you by name. Seems gossipy to me.

Any idea how the factory HU reduces the bass output? Built in crossover of some sort?
NP - on the shaker they filter it and redirect the lows to the subamp. the other 4 signals are passed on to a different amp i believe. On the base (and this is just my best guess) the speakers are full range and there 'may' be some sort of level control to prevent 'clipping' the amp. Several members have posted about using LOCs, personaly I have never used one. If you find the volume / sound accepable using the factory head unit, you could try to add the basslink. If you find the volume / sound unaccepable using the factory head unit, you could try add an amp with high level inputs (saving some budget), the nth degree would be LOC's in to a sound processor, into multiple amps (but that WILL cost).

good luck & have fun (after all that's what these cars are all about).

2014 - V6 Premium w/ Pony Pkg ~ Boss 302 Strut Brace ~ Infinity 6832's speakers ~ Bazooka BTA6100 Sub Tube ~ Matte Black Stripes ~ FRPP 18x8.5 Matte Black Bullit Wheels ~ Air Raid CAI ~ MBRP S7242304 Exhaust

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page