Basic audio upgrade - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-30-2014 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Basic audio upgrade

So I have the stock stereo and everything in my 2014 mustang. I am looking for a nice upgrade but don't want to spend more then a couple hundred.

When I had my BMW 335 there was no way to upgrade the stereo unless you changed the peak output from the stereo to hifi and did all these rewiring and it was like a grand to upgrade it. My question is with the mustang, can I just change the speakers to some good quality speakers and will that give me a nice improvement. In the BMW, changing the speakers didn't matter at all. So aside from changing the speakers, is there anything else I need to do? Again, I would like to keep this under 200 if possible. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-30-2014
GT Member
5.0L Member

Changing out the speakers will help a lot. I got a lot more clarity just using a pair of moderately priced $70-$80 speakers.

2013 Mustang GT, Track Pack, Recaro Seats, MT82, GT500 Axle Back, Boss 302 Quad Exhaust, Transmission Bushing Insert, MGW Shifter, Steeda Shift Knob, GT500 Spoiler, MMD Hood Struts, CPC Battery Covers.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-30-2014 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Thanks a lot for the reply. So I don't need to upgrade the head unit, or do any rewiring up there, just upgrade to some good speakers and it should sound nice? I definitely don't want to spend thousands on an amp and sub and all that so please no replies telling me to go that option. I just want to know if upgrading the speakers alone will be a good difference.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-30-2014
Apprentice

I think any speaker is better than the OEM ones, they were not chosen for sound output for sure.

I know you said your radio is stock, but is it a base radio, Shaker or Shaker Pro?

1994 GT- SOLD
2012 Red Candy V6 Performance Package
OEM Ford louvers, Steeda shifter bracket, Stillen chin spoiler, FRPP Sport axle-back
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-30-2014
Apprentice

If you want to keep it under $200, then replacing the speakers is your only option.

2014 Ruby Red V6 Premium w/pony package, Magnaflow Street axle-backs, LED license plate light, LED interior lights, Strip LED trunk lights, MMD Hood struts, SCT X4 Tuner with Steeda tunes for life, Boss 302 strut tower brace, OEM extended range remote start, Raxiom Navigation.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-01-2014 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by earleys94gt View Post
I think any speaker is better than the OEM ones, they were not chosen for sound output for sure.

I know you said your radio is stock, but is it a base radio, Shaker or Shaker Pro?
How do I tell what stereo it is? It doesn't say shaker anywhere on it. It just says something like "powered by Microsoft."
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-01-2014
Apprentice

If it's a SHAKER it will say above the radio. Also, if the car is a 'Premium' it should have the shaker.

If you have the base radio, all 4 speakers are full range. You may want to replace the speakers and possibly an inexpensive 4 channel amp. if you go that route, you may want to get an amp that has xovers and pre-outputs as that will make it easier to a a sub at a later date.

The 'Powered by Miscrsoft' is just the sync part.

2014 - V6 Premium w/ Pony Pkg ~ Boss 302 Strut Brace ~ Infinity 6832's speakers ~ Bazooka BTA6100 Sub Tube ~ Matte Black Stripes ~ FRPP 18x8.5 Matte Black Bullit Wheels ~ Air Raid CAI ~ MBRP S7242304 Exhaust

post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-01-2014
PONY Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dj2014 View Post
If you want to keep it under $200, then replacing the speakers is your only option.
^^ this...and that's still pretty tight to do for under $200

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennis_pro View Post
How do I tell what stereo it is?
8" woofers in the lower, forward part of the doors? if so...shaker. If you also have factory subs in the trunk...shaker pro.

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-01-2014 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMT1 View Post
If it's a SHAKER it will say above the radio. Also, if the car is a 'Premium' it should have the shaker.

If you have the base radio, all 4 speakers are full range. You may want to replace the speakers and possibly an inexpensive 4 channel amp. if you go that route, you may want to get an amp that has xovers and pre-outputs as that will make it easier to a a sub at a later date.

The 'Powered by Miscrsoft' is just the sync part.
It's definitely just the base radio. What do you mean speakers are "full range?"

I am going to just upgrade to high quality speakers, I hope that makes a nice difference and if so I don't think I'll spend any more money after that.
Rookie

Quote:
It's definitely just the base radio. What do you mean speakers are "full range?"

I am going to just upgrade to high quality speakers, I hope that makes a nice difference and if so I don't think I'll spend any more money after that.

Full range speakers mean they produce sound from low frequencies to high frequencies, and not very well sorry to say. (If you've ever heard a well set up car audio system you'd understand what i mean.)

Upgrading speakers will be a plus, specifically coaxial speakers with built in cross-overs.......don't ask it would be a long discussion.......they will sound WAY better!

If you like your stock head unit, and it does all you want, by all means don't change it! Most car audio stores sell a bunch of un-necessary gear for the average person. You will be very happy with new / better quality speakers!

1994 GT 5.0 All Black in and out
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-02-2014 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by evil pyro View Post
Full range speakers mean they produce sound from low frequencies to high frequencies, and not very well sorry to say. (If you've ever heard a well set up car audio system you'd understand what i mean.)

Upgrading speakers will be a plus, specifically coaxial speakers with built in cross-overs.......don't ask it would be a long discussion.......they will sound WAY better!

If you like your stock head unit, and it does all you want, by all means don't change it! Most car audio stores sell a bunch of un-necessary gear for the average person. You will be very happy with new / better quality speakers!
Thanks so much! I will definitely be doing this in the next few weeks!
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-06-2014 Thread Starter
Apprentice

So I'm gonna install my new speakers this week. Would you guys recommend replacing both front and rears for a base stereo system or just the front? If the rears will only make a minimal difference I won't bother spending the extra money and will just replace the fronts.
Apprentice
4.6L Member
S197 Member

If you haven't purchased speakers yet check out Crutchfield. I checked their website and before I made the purchase I called them, spoke with one of their reps and got better speakers with an additional discount.

I added some other modifications but the speaker quality and pricing is great.
Apprentice

Quote:
So I'm gonna install my new speakers this week. Would you guys recommend replacing both front and rears for a base stereo system or just the front? If the rears will only make a minimal difference I won't bother spending the extra money and will just replace the fronts.
I had a 2013 base and replaced all four. That made a big difference.
I have a 2014 Premium with a Shaker and replaced all four in it also. The rears in the base sounded better than the rears in the premium. I went ahead and amped all four in the 2014 and added an eq. Much better sounding now.

2014 Ruby Red V6 Premium w/pony package, Magnaflow Street axle-backs, LED license plate light, LED interior lights, Strip LED trunk lights, MMD Hood struts, SCT X4 Tuner with Steeda tunes for life, Boss 302 strut tower brace, OEM extended range remote start, Raxiom Navigation.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page