2013 GT 5.0 Poor Radio Reception - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-07-2014 Thread Starter
Rookie

2013 GT 5.0 Poor Radio Reception

I am unable to receive most AM stations, fair reception on FM and Sirius is fine. Ford Service Department blamed it on a bad speaker?

This doesn't make sense as the FM and Sirius would also have poor sound. When confronted, they advised that radio needed replacement. I was advised that radio and speaker were replaced but reception is no better. When I entered the car with my I phone, Bluetooth automatically connected to radio. I thought this required programing? The Service Department contacted Ford Engineering and they state they were advised to compare reception to a new 2014 Mustang on the sales lot. They advise that the poor reception on my radio is better than the new Mustang in the show room. Ford Customer service advised me to take it to another service facility.

Does any one else have radio reception problems or a solution?

I have not had a reception problem with other cars in our household.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-07-2014
PONY Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTFAN42 View Post
I am unable to receive most AM stations, fair reception on FM and Sirius is fine. Ford Service Department blamed it on a bad speaker?

This doesn't make sense as the FM and Sirius would also have poor sound. When confronted, they advised that radio needed replacement. I was advised that radio and speaker were replaced but reception is no better. When I entered the car with my I phone, Bluetooth automatically connected to radio. I thought this required programing? The Service Department contacted Ford Engineering and they state they were advised to compare reception to a new 2014 Mustang on the sales lot. They advise that the poor reception on my radio is better than the new Mustang in the show room. Ford Customer service advised me to take it to another service facility.

Does any one else have radio reception problems or a solution?

I have not had a reception problem with other cars in our household.
AM radio performance on these cars seems like an after thought. On my radio, rejection of stations close to the same frequency is poor and I almost always hear some other station playing in the background - usually mariachi music. Come on Ford, these kinds of signal selectivity and rejection issues were solved back in the 50s when we were still using vacuum tubes.

-Jeff-
Ventura, CA
2013 GT Premium Brembo
MGW, Blow Fish, AM Hood Struts
Tinted, Borla Touring AB, ProCal Tune
Full Shelby/Kicker Audio Upgrade
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-08-2014
Global Moderator
Mustang II Member
Classic Member
V6 Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to heavy metal
Welcome to the site!! I moved your thread for a better response.

Cherish those around you,for at the blink
of an eye,they can be gone.

AFM GLOBAL MODERATOR

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-08-2014
PONY Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Sounds more like an antenna related issue. Speaker? Really? Wow. As for the iPhone issue, the Sync is a separate piece of hardware from the radio so not affected.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-08-2014
PONY Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTFAN42 View Post
Bad speaker??...doubtfull, verify that with a CD or ipod playing.

It is possible that water has gotten between the antenna and base...just unscrew it, clean off any corrosion, spritz with a little white lithium grease and replace. (grease is optional)

If still no improvement, check that 12V to ground is present at the antenna (blue wire seen at base of antenna in the trunk)

Beyond that...hound Ford to fix. Has it always been that way, or just started??

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-12-2014
SITE ADMINISTRATOR
Mustang II Member
V6 Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

I would check with another dealer. That`s like saying the problem is caused by the drive shaft. I have a `13 GT, & it plays pretty good even on AM.

2013 GT CONVERTIBLE GHIG
2015 F-150 King Ranch crew cab

Dogs are not our whole lives, but they make our lives whole.
Saving one dog will not change the world, but surely for that one dog, the world will change forever.
AFM SITE ADMINISTRATOR

NEVER APOLOGIZE FOR BEING PATRIOTIC!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page