stock stereo system to shaker 500 - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 11-05-2014 Thread Starter
Rookie

stock stereo system to shaker 500

I was wondering if it was possible to install the shaker door subwoofers to a base stereo system. I know you would somehow have to cut holes in the doors. I put a cheap jvc stereo in so i could use an aux chord. Has anyone ever tried this or is it even possible? It's a 2006 mustang btw

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 11-05-2014
Apprentice
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Yes it can be done if you have the right stereo equipment. First ... I doubt that Ford used different doors depending on the stereo so you would probably just need to cut the panel openings. What stands out to me first and foremost and please someone correct me if I am wrong is this ...
How many channels (speaker outs) are on your jvc head unit? You have to keep Ohm ratings in mind here. The more speakers you add, the more Ohm resistance you are adding. Add too many Ohms and you burn out your stereo.
Are you going to be running an amplifier? Will that amplifier utilize RCA inputs (Low Level) or speaker inputs (high level)?
If your head unit has RCA out jacks then I would strongly urge you to use them to get your music to an amplifier, then power the door subs from the amp speaker outputs. Be careful as to the power of the amplifier so to ensure that you don't immediately blow the door subs. I doubt they are more than 25W each as I have not looked at them or tested them but I have heard them.
In short ... Yes you can make it work, just do it right and have no regrets later.
I have 25 years experience installing a wide variety of automotive electronics and this is the best advice I can offer, maybe someone else will know more about this system in particular.

1st Mustang - 1989 25th Anniversary LX 5.0 V8 - cats removed/ B&M shift kit/ 3.73 gears/ Cherry Bomb Glass Packs/ CAI/ UDP/ Performance Chip/ '91 GT wheels
2nd Mustang - 2002 Mustang 3.8 V6 - extensive mods (sold)
Current ride - 2005 Mustang GT Premium (Daily Driver) - Black Raven w/ red leather interior/My Color Gauge Option/Shaker 1000/ UDP's/ K&N Drop-in
Planning to add: Flowmaster American Thunder axle back/ Tuner
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page