Kenwood Power Pack - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 01-10-2015 Thread Starter
Apprentice
V6 Member
S197 Member

Kenwood Power Pack

I made a classic rookie mistake and installed some Kicker CS68 6x8's on the factory base head in my '13 nearly a year ago. Needless to say, they aren't as efficient as the stock ones, so I found myself having to turn it up quite a bit to get decent volumes. That of course led to clipping which ultimately killed the tweeters on the front speakers. I knew better, but I did it anyway. It did sound a good bit better while they lasted.

Fortunately, I had Geek Squad Protection on them, so I was able to get them replaced for free, but I did not want to keep on doing the same thing. I also did not want to run a bunch of wires to an amp, so I stumbled upon the Kenwood Power Pack:

Kenwood KAC-M1804 (kacm1804) 400W 4 Channel Class D Compact

It is 400w Max and 180w RMS. That's a perfect range for the CS68s that I have. It takes speaker level inputs and amazingly it fits in an empty space just below the head inside the dash. It took me all of 2 hours to install (though I have installed several systems over the years). For anyone that needs it, the speaker and power wire colors can be found here:

BaseStereoWiring.jpg Photo by thevikingnj | Photobucket

It just about doubled my volume (or more importantly, allows me to get good listening volume at nearly half the level). It is a Class D amp, so the sound is a little crisp and unnatural, but that class of amp is the most efficient. This is important when you're going to put one in a tight space due to lower heat production.

It's by no means an audiophile setup, but with this power pack, the CS68's and a Kicker Hideaway Sub under the rear deck, I have a 700w Max/ 330w RMS system for about $500 and a completely stock interior/trunk. I would say the sound is at least as good as the Shaker 500 system for less money.

Anyway, I thought I would share my experience. The big news is that you can comfortably fit this or a similar amp inside the dash. It is designed for this purpose, so I hold out high hope that it will not overheat in the Texas summer heat. Only time will tell...

'13 Sterling Gray on Charcoal MT-82 w/ V6 Performance & Tech Packages
Upgrades
Steeda CAI-SRP Springs-Koni STR.Ts-Trident Axlebacks-MMD Matte Deck Lid/Taillights-'TC' Off Mod-Bama 93R Tune-SRP Shifter Bracket-ES Sway Bushings-DIY Catch Can-Bondra Clutch Pedal Ext-3rd Brake Flasher-LED Interior/Turn Lights-Kenwood Amp-Cadence Spkrs-Kicker Sub
Past: '93 Black on Opal Gray GT 5.0 5-Spd
Past: '65 Ivy Green on Ivy Gold Notch 289 4-Spd
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 01-11-2015
SITE ADMINISTRATOR
Mustang II Member
V6 Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Nice! Thanks for sharing the info.

2013 GT CONVERTIBLE GHIG
2015 F-150 King Ranch crew cab

Dogs are not our whole lives, but they make our lives whole.
Saving one dog will not change the world, but surely for that one dog, the world will change forever.
AFM SITE ADMINISTRATOR

NEVER APOLOGIZE FOR BEING PATRIOTIC!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page