Question About Sub/Amp and Aftermarket Head Unit - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-01-2015 Thread Starter
Rookie

Question About Sub/Amp and Aftermarket Head Unit

Ok so here's the deal. I just installed an aftermarket hu into my 2004 v6 mustang that had the mach 460 factory head unit. I didn't mess with the amps in the back at all I just bought some adapters from Crutchfield for wiring. My question is how do I install a subwoofer with an aftermarket amp in the back? More specifically, I know that the two amps in the back power the stock woofers and in order for them to be powered I had to plug into the back of my aftermarket hu's rca output. So where does the rca from the aftermarket amp plug into?

I have this head unit: Pioneer MVH-X370BT Digital media receiver at Crutchfield.com

*It only has one rca output in the back and I plugged into that for the stock amps to power the factory speakers.

Thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-01-2015
PONY Member

Garage
A suggestion is to use RCA Y-adapters to get the audio from your existing setup to the new after-market amp. Plug the Y-adapters into the RCA plugs behind your HU and connect the existing setup, and the new setup. Run the new RCA cables to the new amp. Good Luck with your stereo.

2006 GT, Strut Tower Brace, Gas Hood Struts, FR Intake Plenum cover, Metal Fuse Box cover, Moroso brake reservoir cover, Rear shock tower brace, Front Bumper Lip Spoiler, JVC DVD Head unit w/ back-up camera, satellite Radio and USB input, 2 - 12" sub-woofers, 4 - 6"x8" speakers, 2 - 6.5" speakers to replace the door subs, 3 amplifiers, LED lights under the hood and in the trunk, chrome e-handle on parking brake handle, chrome cup holder trim, and trunk lid cover with running pony emblem.

post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-01-2015 Thread Starter
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by huberoy123 View Post
A suggestion is to use RCA Y-adapters to get the audio from your existing setup to the new after-market amp. Plug the Y-adapters into the RCA plugs behind your HU and connect the existing setup, and the new setup. Run the new RCA cables to the new amp. Good Luck with your stereo.
Hmmm why didn't I think of that? I'm gonna go and try it. Thanks! I'll post back to let you know if it works.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-05-2015
Rookie

The only Iissue you will have is when you split the RCA's with Y adapters you won't be able to turn on the LPF on the deck. The problem is the Mach 460 amps need a full range audio input. Your new sub amp needs bass frequencys. I hate to say it but you're better off returning that deck and getting one with 2 or 3 pairs of outputs. I am a MECP master certified car audio installer and have close to 10 years in the business. Just speaking from experience.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-21-2015 Thread Starter
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithin813 View Post
The only Iissue you will have is when you split the RCA's with Y adapters you won't be able to turn on the LPF on the deck. The problem is the Mach 460 amps need a full range audio input. Your new sub amp needs bass frequencys. I hate to say it but you're better off returning that deck and getting one with 2 or 3 pairs of outputs. I am a MECP master certified car audio installer and have close to 10 years in the business. Just speaking from experience.
Thanks for the input. I actually just ended up only plugging up my aftermarket amp. I left the rca's to the mach 460 amps unplugged. The head unit is powering my door speakers and tweeters and I have mids and lows coming through the subwoofer. It's sounds great and I haven't had any problems!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
aftermarket , head unit , rca , sub and amp install

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page