shaker 500 speed volume - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-05-2015 Thread Starter
Rookie
S197 Member

Angry shaker 500 speed volume

Hello,
my 06 shaker 500 radio is giving me fits. When in park or neutral my radio plays great ( CD,s & all functions ) BUT as soon as I put it in gear it cuts out the audio! I have researched this over & over but cannot find a solution. The speed volume option is set to off although I do not see any option to turn it on that actually says on (only #,s 1 thru 7).
This is driving me nuts! Could it be the "transmission" speed sensor ( speedo works great ) or just a faulty radio?
Anybody else dealt with this issue? Thanks!

Last edited by rbruce; 02-05-2015 at 08:01 AM. Reason: messed up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-05-2015
V6 Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbruce View Post
Hello,
my 06 shaker 500 radio is giving me fits. When in park or neutral my radio plays great ( CD,s & all functions ) BUT as soon as I put it in gear it cuts out the audio! I have researched this over & over but cannot find a solution. The speed volume option is set to off although I do not see any option to turn it on that actually says on (only #,s 1 thru 7).
This is driving me nuts! Could it be the "transmission" speed sensor ( speedo works great ) or just a faulty radio?
Anybody else dealt with this issue? Thanks!
1-7 is on. 1- won't change much from off and 7- will change the volume a lot as speed increases the volume will increase greatly.

Although speed volume doesn't sound like it will fix your issue. Sounds like to me it is a wiring issue or faulty radio. Sounds more like a wiring issue though.

Current Garage
(11.)2012 GT500 silver with red stripe, SVT performance package, and Recaro seats.
2018 Honda Civic Type R
Past Mustangs in order and color of text.
(1.)2000, (2.)2004, (3.)2006GT/Auto traded for (4.)2006GT/Manual, (5.)1996, (6.)2011GT, (7.)2003GT, (8.)2006GT, (9)2013 Boss 302, and (10.) 2002GT
(I have owned a few non Mustang cars over the years as well, but always try to have a Mustang with it or come quickly back to a Mustang!)
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-05-2015 Thread Starter
Rookie
S197 Member

Red face

Thanks for answering me!
Funny thing is I was punching around the buttons this morning & I got it working! Specifically the driver sound, passenger sound, etc. buttons & it worked BUT I tried it later & no joy! I'm going to "assume" its the unit for I wouldn't have a clue how to test the wiring or want to pay someone to.
I really like the sound of the system. Its the best I've ever heard but then you could honestly say I've only got $20 ears! LOL!
I suppose I could look for another 500 off CL or Ebay but that might be a gamble!
Thoughts?

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-05-2015
V6 Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Garage
If there is a shaker 500 system for a good price go for it. Otherwise I would go to a "best buy" or any audio store and pick up a unit from them. There are units ranging from 50-500+ just depending on what you are looking for.

1 thing to consider. Not many people do, but some people do use Cd's still. There are plenty of forums talking about how the 500 units have issues with Cd's getting stuck in the unit.

Current Garage
(11.)2012 GT500 silver with red stripe, SVT performance package, and Recaro seats.
2018 Honda Civic Type R
Past Mustangs in order and color of text.
(1.)2000, (2.)2004, (3.)2006GT/Auto traded for (4.)2006GT/Manual, (5.)1996, (6.)2011GT, (7.)2003GT, (8.)2006GT, (9)2013 Boss 302, and (10.) 2002GT
(I have owned a few non Mustang cars over the years as well, but always try to have a Mustang with it or come quickly back to a Mustang!)
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-09-2015 Thread Starter
Rookie
S197 Member

Thanks again for your response.
If at all possible I would like to keep the original radio. As long as I leave the shifter in P or N it plays great! Also if I turn the ignition switch to just on ( not starting the motor ) I can shift to all gears (P R N 1 2 3 ) & it continues to play in every gear BUT with the engine on it only plays in P or N!
Could I have a bad ignition switch? Or dirty ignition switch? I have talked to another person with the same problem & have read on the web about this problem but no solution ( except buying a new unit ).
I have taken the radio out & all connections appear good!
Any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page