Like Tree5Likes
  • 2 Post By B.Cooper
  • 2 Post By HuntingKy
  • 1 Post By GT'sGT

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-19-2018 Thread Starter
Rookie

what would you do?

Hello forum. I found a mustang on cars.com. It seems like a nice one. I would be buying this car sight unseen."scary" I would have to arrange transport. ect.. I have never done this before. I got a few quotes on uship. I have vertigo. So I cant just hop on a plane to check it out. Thanks filix.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-19-2018
BOSS Member

IMHO....don't without having the car inspected by a mechanic and frame shop.... IIRR, they give you a 7 day return, but if you are stuck with the shipping, I would check for a shop in the local area.

:hello:
Member: Never trust a person over 40 who drives a Chevy club
Flatheads ain't so bad!
Certified backyard mechanic I & II
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-19-2018 Thread Starter
Rookie

Thanks. Your right! But the deal fell through. I think they felt they were too low. It was Cherry. No rust all original. Bummer. Ebay maybe safer than cars.com.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-19-2018
Administrator
Classic Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

I've done it before and never will again. If you find another one I would definitely pay an inspection company go take a look, well worth the money in my opinion. Best of luck!
HuntingKy and Beechkid like this.

Engine mods - all stock, trust me, wanna run??!!!
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-20-2018 Thread Starter
Rookie

How exspensive is it too change a 64 1/2 mustang from a standard to an auto. Mark.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-20-2018 Thread Starter
Rookie

My wife can't drive a standard.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-25-2018
Apprentice

Garage
A manual to auto conversion will require the transmission itself, plus a shifter (plus modifying the floor to install it), shifter cable, trans mount, possibly a driveshaft (or at least a yoke), trans cooler lines, possibly a radiator (if the rad in the car doesn't have a trans cooler in it). Then to make it look right, remove the clutch pedal, and install the wider auto trans brake pedal. Depending on where you source the parts, and whether you do it yourself, or pay someone to do it, you will be into that swap for minimum several hundred, to a few thousand dollars. You'd probably be further ahead to buy a car already equipped with an auto trans.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-25-2018
Apprentice
Classic Member

If you switch from manual to auto, DON'T go with a stock C4. Take the opportunity to upgrade to something with an overdrive. You won't regret it!
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-06-2018 Thread Starter
Rookie

Thank you for that good Advice.
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by filix View Post
Hello forum. I found a mustang on cars.com. It seems like a nice one. I would be buying this car sight unseen."scary" I would have to arrange transport. ect.. I have never done this before. I got a few quotes on uship. I have vertigo. So I cant just hop on a plane to check it out. Thanks filix.
Sight unseen - bad idea. Don't.

-Patrick

1965 Fastback
289 4V
PONY Member

I know its late in the game, but I have to disagree with several of the above posts.

First putting in an original C4 requires NO FLOOR MODIFICATION AT ALL!! The stock automatic shift bucket assembly is available and goes right were the current stick shift comes out of the floor. Most of these kits will have the rod included. The only issue is hooking up the kick down to the throttle linkage, again there are several kits available to do this easily. <acronym title="transmission">Trans</acronym> Yoke is different but again the aftermarket comes to the rescue ,you can find adapter yoke that will allow the same drive shaft to be used in most cases. The <acronym title="transmission">trans</acronym> mount and cross member are identical on the 6 cyl and small block cars regardless of <acronym title="transmission">trans</acronym> so no issue there either. The automatic brake pedal is available again new in the after market and is simple to un-pin slide it apart take out the old pedals slide in the new one and re-pin it. Radiator can stay the same just add one of the aftermarket <acronym title="transmission">trans</acronym> coolers and run your lines to it, again the aftermarket has all this available.

The entire swap is a nut and bolt operation, and a fairly competent back yard mechanic can do the conversion in a couple of days with out any welding or fancy fabrication.

Secondly if you go with an original C4 tranny, adding a good after market shift kit, a decent 2000 - 2800 rpm stall convertor and a Hipo servo will give you all the <acronym title="transmission">trans</acronym> you'll need for the car.

One thing not mentioned above is the rear gear ratios, most if not all automatics in that vintage used either a 2:80 or 3:00 rear gear. Pretty tall i know but it keeps the revs down at highway speed. Most of your stick or manual cars started at 3:35 to 3:50 with 3:79 and higher being fairly common also.

My 65 was a C4 with a built 5.0 in front of it running a equalock 2:80 rear (the 5.0 was stealthed painted to look like a 65 with cobra valve covers.) Any way the car would run at just over 2800 rpm at 60 mph ( a little whinny i know at hi way speed but still livable)

either way have fun if you find another car with the auto you want or a nice car with a manual <acronym title="transmission">trans</acronym>

I'D RATHER GO SLOW THAN NOT GO AT ALL
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by filix View Post
Thanks. Your right! But the deal fell through. I think they felt they were too low. It was Cherry. No rust all original. Bummer. Ebay maybe safer than cars.com.
Every Mustang ever sold is Cherry, No Rust, All Original Mint Condition, until you see that it isn't. Then you hear they bought it like that and didn't ever notice that was like that, they thought that was how the car came originally. No one is ever to blame for overselling the car.
Ducatti20 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page