Carb issues on 66 mustang - Ford Mustang Forum
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Ivy66GT

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-18-2017 Thread Starter
Rookie

Send a message via Yahoo to Dillon1995
Carb issues on 66 mustang

Im new to this so sorry if this post sounds noobish. I'm having issues with my Auto lite 1100 in my 66 mustang. The car will idle strong but when i give it some gas i believe it is getting to much air and not enough fuel. I replaced the fuel filter and it seemed to fix it for a week but now I'm having problems again. The fuel pump is new so thats not the problem either. I would really like some insight on this subject.

p.s the car is a 200 straight 6 cylinder

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-19-2017
PONY Member

Is the fuel lines and gas tank original? New fuel filter helping and the going back to original problem kind of sounds like trash from the lines or tank are stopping up the filter and not letting enough fuel through

post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-19-2017 Thread Starter
Rookie

Ill check the fuel lines but i know the fuel tank is new.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-19-2017
GT Member

How do you know it's not getting enough gas?. Does it bog
when you step on the throttle?. My first guess would be the
acelerator pump. When you step on the throttle do you see
gas squirting in ?. Also is your idle mixture correct? You can
pull one of the plugs if it is white in color that means it is too lean.
If it is kinda tan it is ok.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-19-2017
BOSS Member

IMHO, the carb/ignition/timing needs to be adjusted..... find an ol timer who really knows what they are doing it should be a very easy fix....this could even be caused by a change of fuel (formulation)

:hello:
Member: Never trust a person over 40 who drives a Chevy club
Flatheads ain't so bad!
Certified backyard mechanic I & II
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-19-2017
GT Member
Classic Member
5.0L Member

If it's stumbling when you press the pedal, but idling fine and cruising fine, then it's most likely an accelerator pump issue. Diaphragm might be broken, squirter clogged, or linkage damaged.

Proud owner of a '65 289 coupe. Equipped with Edelbrock Performer intake, Quick Fuel 680HR carb, ported stock heads, 282 Magnum solid cam, Hedman longtube headers, MSD ignition, and decked and ported heads. T5 transmission with hydraulic clutch. Griggs Racing GR350 suspension. 8.8 rear end. Griggs front & Wilwood rear brakes. Many more mods to come!
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-19-2017 Thread Starter
Rookie

I checked the fuel lines today and they are good. I find that the problem becomes prominent when the carb warms up and goes from semi closed and fully open. I step on the gas to rev the engine and it makes a sound like a whale coming up for air and clearing its blow whole. I am very new to the classic mustang scene and i have a mechanic coming to look at it on Saturday. In the mean time ill go ahead and check the accelerator pump and take a look at the plugs. Its killing me not being able to drive her around
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-20-2017
PONY Member

Get yourself a vacuum gauge ( got mine at Harbor Freight for $15 best money ever spent) plug it in one of your intake ports and play a little with the carb. Reading the gauge is pretty straight forward and it will tell you a bunch about your engine's condition. There are charts online of the gauge's needle movement.

J

(Disregard my post i just read about the 6 banger you have.. vacuum gauge still can be useful though)
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-20-2017
GT Member

Have your mechanic verify the float level is correct and no trash in the idle circuit.

Ken
Severna Park, MD
1964 1/2 Poppy Red Cvt Resto-Mod
333 cu.in, dual Webers, CI cam, TW heads,TRI-Ys, 3.55 rear, T5z, TCP susp., real leather seating
GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillon1995 View Post
I checked the fuel lines today and they are good. I find that the problem becomes prominent when the carb warms up and goes from semi closed and fully open. I step on the gas to rev the engine and it makes a sound like a whale coming up for air and clearing its blow whole. I am very new to the classic mustang scene and i have a mechanic coming to look at it on Saturday. In the mean time ill go ahead and check the accelerator pump and take a look at the plugs. Its killing me not being able to drive her around

I have heard a lot of noises coming from engines before but
I have to admit I have never heard an engine that sounds like a
whale clearing his blow hole. That's a good one.
Apprentice

I also have a 200cid and sometime ago I replaced the carb for an original Autolite 1100.
I experienced some troubles that finally were due to the wrong jet number. I donít know if this will have something to do with your problem, but maybe is worth to check the jet for the correct application.

Josep

1966 Mustang Hardtop 200 Inline 6 - Arcadian Blue - AT TE - 6R07T213966 - San Jose built June 11th 1966 - DSO 71
1966 Mustang Convertible 289-2V - Vintage Burgundy - AT PS PT DB - 6F08C109403 - Dearborn built September 9th 1965 - DSO 36
PONY Member

Most rebuilt carbs, the jets are actually too large for the engine. Especially on Fords. Most people want WOT performance. The whale sound is the inrush of air as the throttle plates open, which should be followed with a sudden increase in RPM. I also would bet that there is too much fuel getting in due to jet size. But check the accel pump on the carb, even new ones sometimes get small holes or rips from just sitting or someone being too quick during the rebuild.

I'D RATHER GO SLOW THAN NOT GO AT ALL
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by baylensmanfl View Post
Most rebuilt carbs, the jets are actually too large for the engine. Especially on Fords. Most people want WOT performance. The whale sound is the inrush of air as the throttle plates open, which should be followed with a sudden increase in RPM. I also would bet that there is too much fuel getting in due to jet size. But check the accel pump on the carb, even new ones sometimes get small holes or rips from just sitting or someone being too quick during the rebuild.
Mine had a jet for Altitude when I am at sea level.! My car also has Thermactor, which makes it a little different. After I put the right one for my car, specified in the shop manual, and correct for Thermactor, the car just went smooth and I am very happy how it drives.

Josep

1966 Mustang Hardtop 200 Inline 6 - Arcadian Blue - AT TE - 6R07T213966 - San Jose built June 11th 1966 - DSO 71
1966 Mustang Convertible 289-2V - Vintage Burgundy - AT PS PT DB - 6F08C109403 - Dearborn built September 9th 1965 - DSO 36
SHELBY GT 350 Member
Classic Member

I agree that for all we were told it could well be getting too much gas as too little. Either one causes problems. Or the problem could be from several other issues.

Although they provided data for carb jet differences with altitude I am not sure the factory ever installed anything but sea level jets. We are more than a mile above sea level and new Fords delivered here for sale came with sea level jets in the 60s. Our '66 coupe was special ordered by an engineer and delivered new at 5,300' with sea level jets. He bought new, altitude jets from the dealer in 1975 trying to up his MPG after the Arab Oil Embargo when gas prices had doubled.

There were five different 1100s used on '66 200s. Per the '66 shop manual the sea level jets ranged from 62 to 69 with altitude jets being -2 sizes, i.e. 60 - 67. The 1975 parts manual listed three different jet sizes for 0-5,000', 5,000-10,000 (-2) and 10,000-15,000' (-4) altitudes. That indicates the shop manual altitudes jets were for 5,000'. In general, they were all on the rich side. For the exact same 1100 model numbers the 1975 suggested jets were -1 smaller than the pre-embargo shop manual had listed.
Beechkid likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
autolite 1100 , carb issue

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page