Oil dipstick tube - Ford Mustang Forum
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Rpony66MI

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-29-2018 Thread Starter
Rookie

Oil dipstick tube

I recently came into possession of a 1966 Mustang with a 289. My problem is that the engine was stripped for painting and I was not there when this was done. I now have the car, but none of the parts. I recently ordered a dipstick and dipstick tube for the car, when I went to install the tube it did not fit. It looks like the old tube is broken off right at the pan. Two questions, are there different size tubes and if not any ideas on how to get the old broken tube out? I am new at this and don't want to make things worse. Thanks in advance.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0096.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	407.5 KB
ID:	602801   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0093.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	720.3 KB
ID:	602809  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-29-2018
PONY Member

The mis named "EASY OUT" may grab the piece of tube still in the timing was cover and help you pull it out. the other option is to pull the timing was cover and use a punch to tap the tube out of the cover far enough to grab with a pliers and remove it. DO NOT FORCE IT INWARDS the cover is tapered. While the tubes come in different lengths and configuration they are all the same diameter. so as long as you got a matched tube and stick you should be good to go.

I'D RATHER GO SLOW THAN NOT GO AT ALL
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-29-2018 Thread Starter
Rookie

That is what I was thinking, but wanted to make sure before I did something stupid. Thanks for the quick reply.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-29-2018
SHELBY GT 350 Member

Garage
You can try the "easy out" but those are typically done on bolts by drilling a relatively small hole in the center.

This is a thin wall tube that is pressed in. Use a "dental pick" and work it between the casting hole and the tube, followed by a long skinny punch, then finally a small flat-blade screwdriver to fold the tube in on itself so you can twist it out with pliers.

If either doesn't work then drill it out, remove the pan to clean out the shavings.

2005 4.0 MT dual exhaust GT mufflers GT suspension and wheels
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-30-2018 Thread Starter
Rookie

Surprisingly the easy out worked. The broken part of the tube is out and the new tube is installed. I appreciate everyone's help and I am sure I will have many more questions.
Yadkin likes this.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-02-2018
GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rpony66MI View Post
Surprisingly the easy out worked. The broken part of the tube is out and the new tube is installed. I appreciate everyone's help and I am sure I will have many more questions.
Yeah! It seems you won this one......

Ken
Severna Park, MD
1964 1/2 Poppy Red Cvt Resto-Mod
333 cu.in, dual Webers, CI cam, TW heads,TRI-Ys, 3.55 rear, T5z, TCP susp., real leather seating
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page