So excited - Ford Mustang Forum
Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-28-2018 Thread Starter
Rookie

Garage
So excited

I bought my '66 Stang in March instigated by my 16 y.o. Son. It's a 1966 San Jose car with T/E system. Pretty much a complete barn find. There are a few things missing but for the most part it's all there (original). We've been plugging away at it and managed to replace all the under carriage (upper/lower control arms, coil springs, perches, Front/rear shocks, leaf springs,bushings)", borgeson steering, KAR Mustang GT dual exhaust. We removed everything from the engine except the heads and intake and exhaust manifolds. Rebuilt the carb. R&Rd the oil pan and oil pump. New fuel pump, water pump, thermostat, hoses radiator, radiator shroud. Had the alternator, starter and power sterring pump rebuilt. Long story short, it PURRS so nice! Everything works and works well considering it hasn't been run (registered) since 1988!
We are very excited!
Next will be r&r rear brakes (turned drums today), install Kentucky Mustang front power disc brake conversion (ordered today), interior, paint and alignment. Then ready to drive!!!

SO EXCITED

my89foxbody and Yadkin like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-28-2018
PONY Member

It's not original anymore.

post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-28-2018 Thread Starter
Rookie

Garage
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT'sGT View Post
It's not original anymore.
Nope. But it sure runs and sounds good!!!
I like it better that way. Some of the original stuff is crap (Imo). I still have all the original stuff except the exhaust (which was shot) if someone ever wants to put it back that way.

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-28-2018
Administrator
Classic Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

I've always tried to keep them original but the next classic one I do I'm going your route and make it more fun to drive.

Engine mods - all stock, trust me, wanna run??!!!
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-28-2018 Thread Starter
Rookie

Garage
Btw. I'm going to ruin the originality even more. My son wants to paint it black. It has dark red pony interior with white headliner so I think black will look good. Did the factory offer black in '66?
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-28-2018
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tlkmap View Post
Btw. I'm going to ruin the originality even more. My son wants to paint it black. It has dark red pony interior with white headliner so I think black will look good. Did the factory offer black in '66?
Paint code A Raven black, but this really doesnít bothers you because you are not going original so.. make it the way you like.!

Josep

1966 Mustang Hardtop 200 Inline 6 - Arcadian Blue - AT TE - 6R07T213966 - San Jose built June 11th 1966 - DSO 71
1966 Mustang Convertible 289-2V - Vintage Burgundy - AT PS PT DB - 6F08C109403 - Dearborn built September 9th 1965 - DSO 36
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-28-2018
PONY Member

Quote:
Yes, we have a Raven Black factory car.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-29-2018 Thread Starter
Rookie

Garage
Cool. Sounds good! Thanks,
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-29-2018
GT Member
Classic Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Garage
Welcome to the AFM Family! here is a pic of my '66 and yes she looks to be all original but she isn't.

She's still a #'s matching '66 (rebuilt trans) But.... she has repro fenders /different doors (off another '66) repro front bumper.

did the front disc conversion (she had drums all around) she still has the OEM power steering (rebuilt)

All I can tell you is to ENJOY your car and the time you spend with your son (My '66 has been a father/son project since 1991)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	my ladies.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	227.0 KB
ID:	604493  

"ONX PNY"

2009 MUSTANG (45TH Aniversary) premium w/pony package.
AUTO, Leather, IUP, Kenwood DDX393/Speakers
A.M Bullitt wheels W/custom center caps
RAXIOM RETRO'S Black turn signals/Tinted rear bumper lights cobra Roadster hood that's functional and many other mods

Yes I know my user name doesn't match my car color

1966 coupe 289 2V C code factory BENCH/P/S
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-30-2018 Thread Starter
Rookie

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by silver_stang200 View Post
Welcome to the AFM Family! here is a pic of my '66 and yes she looks to be all original but she isn't.

She's still a #'s matching '66 (rebuilt <acronym title="transmission"><acronym title="transmission">trans</acronym></acronym>) But.... she has repro fenders /different doors (off another '66) repro front bumper.

did the front disc conversion (she had drums all around) she still has the OEM power steering (rebuilt)

All I can tell you is to ENJOY your car and the time you spend with your son (My '66 has been a father/son project since 1991)

Thanks for the encouragement! She's beautiful!
Apprentice

Garage
Original is cool, but there's so much you can do to make the car more enjoyable, without permanent ramifications. I have a "barn find" '65 coupe in Raven Black. I've lowered it, put in a T-5 trans, and disk brakes is next on the list... then to do something cool with the inline 6... hmm... Good luck with your project, and enjoy it.
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-03-2018 Thread Starter
Rookie

Garage
Well, hereís the latest. I had the alignment done by a local shop that was recommended. After inspecting and torquing everything down that I left loose and aligning the front end Iím told there is no return-ability in the steering and that they've isolated the problem to the Borgeson steering box. Iím not really sure how critical this is? When powering through a turn it starts to come back to center but ultimately I have to bring it to center myself. After reading reviews it appears this is a common issue with Borgeson. After calling them I was told to make sure the caster was set to 3-5 degrees. The shop adjusted the caster to 4 and 4.75 which didnít make any difference. I called Borgeson and they told me I could order a new box and theyíd credit me when they receive the old one. Iím hesitent to go to the trouble of that since it sounds inherent with Borgeson. They donít acknowlege the issue as being common. Any thoughts?

Thanks!
BOSS Member

Quote:
Well, hereís the latest. I had the alignment done by a local shop that was recommended. After inspecting and torquing everything down that I left loose and aligning the front end Iím told there is no return-ability in the steering and that they've isolated the problem to the Borgeson steering box. Iím not really sure how critical this is? When powering through a turn it starts to come back to center but ultimately I have to bring it to center myself. After reading reviews it appears this is a common issue with Borgeson. After calling them I was told to make sure the caster was set to 3-5 degrees. The shop adjusted the caster to 4 and 4.75 which didnít make any difference. I called Borgeson and they told me I could order a new box and theyíd credit me when they receive the old one. Iím hesitent to go to the trouble of that since it sounds inherent with Borgeson. They donít acknowlege the issue as being common. Any thoughts?

Thanks!
IMHO, although mechanically there is no damage/excessive wear being done, this is "not a good thing" from a variety of standpoints.....1) being an inexperienced driver who is shifting from a properly setup/responsive vehicle to one that doesn't (or vice versa)Ö.. secondly, from an emergency maneuvering aspect, this is not good......as an example.... when the rear of a car starts to come around either because of accel or braking, the steering must automatically follow and no matter what level of experience a diver has, they will typically allow the this action to occur and typically "enhance" the control to either eliminate or reduce the rotational impact...Ö a higher trained person such as a racer, trained emergency vehicle operator will be taught how and when to enhance this..... for the pro, not that big of a deal as long as they are expecting it...for the typical driver or beginner, IMHO, not acceptable.

In the event that an accident did occur and there was a resulting death or substantial life long injuries, it is almost guaranteed the vehicle will be inspected including the performance of critical components...Ö and IMHO, this would not be "a good thing".

:hello:
Member: Never trust a person over 40 who drives a Chevy club
Flatheads ain't so bad!
Certified backyard mechanic I & II
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-20-2018 Thread Starter
Rookie

Garage
After talking with Borgeson cs a few more times the rep suggested the bushing at the end of the column might be binding with the shaft. I removed the bushing and reamed it out 1/16Ē which fixed the problem. I really like the Borgeson steering system even more now!
Yadkin likes this.
PONY Member

I was never a fan of Borgeson boxes.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page