Newbie from devon uk - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-22-2018 Thread Starter
Rookie

Garage
Newbie from devon uk

hello to you all, I am thinking of buying a 1967 T code mustang here in the uk, its a long way off a t code as its got a brand new 302 crate engine a 5 speed tremec gearbox edelbrock 500, msd, power brakes and discs on the front brand new interior, thrust alloys, this is my first mustang and i am wondering if this was just some ones dream of how a mustang should be, I am not a purist but should i try and find an untouched and original car, your thoughts please

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-22-2018
Classic Member
S197 Member

Send a message via Yahoo to stlwagon
Welcome aboard. It all boils down to what makes you happy. While all original is certainly nice, there is something to be said for modern conveniences and safety! I have a mix of both on mine.

1965 Mustang Coupe
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-22-2018 Thread Starter
Rookie

Garage
Thanks for the reply if I sent you a link as a private message ie the advert for the car would you tell me your thoughts

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-22-2018
SHELBY GT 350 Member
Classic Member

What are the rules in the UK? In some countries its difficult to license a non-original, foreign car.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-22-2018 Thread Starter
Rookie

Garage
Hi there,its not a problem now if its 40 plus years old, there is no road tax to pay and that can be between 30 to 500 a year and its just become law that an mot is not required at 40 years old either, all we have to pay now is insurance, I have just had a fully comprehensive quote for 190 on a classic policy
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-22-2018
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nrj1 View Post
Hi there,its not a problem now if its 40 plus years old, there is no road tax to pay and that can be between 30 to 500 a year and its just become law that an mot is not required at 40 years old either, all we have to pay now is insurance, I have just had a fully comprehensive quote for 190 on a classic policy
I believe what Ivy66GT wants to say is that the car is not original and if there is some kind of trouble when you have to register the car. If the car is already registered in the UK, then there should be no problem I guess. Here in Spain, when you want to register a classic car brought from abroad, you need to prove the car is in its original shape by the agreement of a classic car club.

Josep

1966 Mustang Hardtop 200 Inline 6 - Arcadian Blue - AT TE - 6R07T213966 - San Jose built June 11th 1966 - DSO 71
1966 Mustang Convertible 289-2V - Vintage Burgundy - AT PS PT DB - 6F08C109403 - Dearborn built September 9th 1965 - DSO 36
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-22-2018
PONY Member

Garage
Basically, it's all in what you're looking for. A car that's in near original condition will drive like it is a classic. One that has been modified will drive like it's been modified as long as all the changes work together correctly. Either way, you'll have to do some research if you need to make any repairs. As you'll see on this forum, some of the modifications don't work quite like they are advertised. Best of luck to you.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-22-2018 Thread Starter
Rookie

Garage
I see what he meant now, no there is no problem registering it as long as the taxes are paid to the inland revenue, and they have been by the person who imported it, all the work was done before it got here in the usa, aithough there was one problem which shook the engine to which it was imported with to a crumbling heap of metal, there was an imbalance on the flywheel which caused the engine to shudder and break up right down tho the crankshaft, the figures were 2.8 ounces or 5.5 ounses, it was 2.8 i believe but should of been 5.5ozs, which is why a crate 302 had to be ordered from the usa, you guys can probably tell me what that is all about but it appeared to be how many holes were drilled in the flywheel
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-24-2018
SHELBY GT 350 Member
Classic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josep View Post
...Here in Spain, when you want to register a classic car brought from abroad, you need to prove the car is in its original shape by the agreement of a classic car club.
Yes, that is a worst case example for what I was asking about. Sounds like the UK is OK now if the car is over 40 years old. Other countries make the old cars meet new inspection rules to varying degrees which most of them can not.

190 sounds like a good deal for insurance. Enjoy.

I don't recall seeing any Mustangs in Devon.
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivy66GT View Post
That is a worst case example for what I was asking about. Sounds like the UK is OK now if the car is over 40 years old. Other countries make the old cars meet new inspection rules to varying degrees which most of them can not.
190 sounds like a good deal for insurance. Enjoy. I don't recall seeing any Mustangs in Devon.
Not saying an old car here needs to meet new inspection rules, if the car is at least 25 years old, a Classic car, the rules to apply are the same as the car had when it was first registered.
Smoke, lights, seat belts, etc... are some things that are not taken into consideration if you are applying for a Classic car registration. I pay between 60~110 for the insurance of my cars.

Josep

1966 Mustang Hardtop 200 Inline 6 - Arcadian Blue - AT TE - 6R07T213966 - San Jose built June 11th 1966 - DSO 71
1966 Mustang Convertible 289-2V - Vintage Burgundy - AT PS PT DB - 6F08C109403 - Dearborn built September 9th 1965 - DSO 36
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page