Name:	IMG_5202.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	1.03 MB
ID:	607493   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5203.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	1.04 MB
ID:	607495  
johnwaz3661 and rabidrabbit74 like this.

-Patrick

1965 Fastback
289 4V
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

PONY Member

Patrick, the beauty about your fastback is that is just like a blank page in which you can write whatever you want. It all comes down to what kind of budget you have for it .. endless possibilities comes to my mind and i agree with the guys a little 289 with a hydraulic flat tappet cam is a great engine but nothing beats a stroked out 302 with a roller cam! with the massive torque and HP you will feel you have an old school big block under the hood. keep us posted!

J

TigerFan96 likes this.

1965 Mustang Resto-Modded with a classic charm
347 ci stroker 10:1 CR ( street warrior engine) Weiand Stealth,mild roller camshaft, intake ported to AFR 185 cc ,CompCams GOLD 1.6 Roller rockers, Hedman ceramic shorties
AOD stage 1(450 HP), 3.80 gears, MG Trac Lok LSD, 15" shoes
1970 Mustang fastback BOSS 302 tribute in the works..
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerFan96 View Post
Thanks. "Frame machine"...? Local body shop?

I'm definitely going resto-mod, but heavy on the "Resto".. Dual master cylinder, disc brakes, three point seat belts, etc... Probably going to update the steering, not sure what direction to go yet though. For the engine, I'll have the original 289 bored out and probably swap the cam. Been doing a lot of reading and research on cam/heads/transmission/rear end optimization. (Open to suggestions here!). Here are some pics, in my low-light garage (sorry....). Yes, the paint on the doors does not match the rest..... Going to need to strip it all at some point anyway, but at least it has something keeping the rust at bay while I work on the rest.....
I'd lose the redneck lift kit on the rear springs.

post #19 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-18-2018 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT'sGT View Post
I'd lose the redneck lift kit on the rear springs.
Definitely coming off!

-Patrick

1965 Fastback
289 4V
Apprentice

Garage
If it were mine, a 302 (maybe even a 331 or 347), T-5 trans, (or an AOD if you want an Auto) and a 3.55 R&P (tho if you run a taller than stock rear tire, a 3.73 works good) for a driver. Just my $0.02. I always err to the mild side for a street driven car, as I've gone the race car route in the past, and I don't want to always be fixing broken stuff on my cruiser. You've got a real nice start for the project there.
post #21 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-18-2018 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnwaz3661 View Post
If it were mine, a 302 (maybe even a 331 or 347), T-5 <acronym title="transmission">trans</acronym>, (or an AOD if you want an Auto) and a 3.55 R&P (tho if you run a taller than stock rear tire, a 3.73 works good) for a driver. Just my $0.02. I always err to the mild side for a street driven car, as I've gone the race car route in the past, and I don't want to always be fixing broken stuff on my cruiser. You've got a real nice start for the project there.
Thanks. I have a C4 that I'm going to be rebuilding, along with a 289 block that I think is the original. Will bore it .30 over (which I think brings it closer to 302 but not quite?), and put in an aftermarket cam and heads - that's what I'm researching now, trying to find the right combo (and learning a lot as I go....). Also not sure if I want to keep the 8 inch rear end or go larger - I don't want/need to make a drag or racing car, just something that can accelerate more like a modern car so that I feel safe (er) on the interstate here in Florida....

-Patrick

1965 Fastback
289 4V
SHELBY GT 350 Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerFan96 View Post
Thanks. "Frame machine"...? Local body shop?

I'm definitely going resto-mod, but heavy on the "Resto".. Dual master cylinder, disc brakes, three point seat belts, etc... Probably going to update the steering, not sure what direction to go yet though. For the engine, I'll have the original 289 bored out and probably swap the cam. Been doing a lot of reading and research on cam/heads/transmission/rear end optimization. (Open to suggestions here!). Here are some pics, in my low-light garage (sorry....). Yes, the paint on the doors does not match the rest..... Going to need to strip it all at some point anyway, but at least it has something keeping the rust at bay while I work on the rest.....
Based on that first picture I'm guessing that you have a basement garage. I do, and didn't want any fuel stink to get into the house. So I installed a vapor recovery system, a sealed gas cap and a carbon canister, and purge into the air cleaner. I also installed EFI so my fuel system is completely sealed.

2005 4.0 MT dual exhaust GT mufflers GT suspension and wheels
post #23 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-20-2018 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yadkin View Post
Based on that first picture I'm guessing that you have a basement garage. I do, and didn't want any fuel stink to get into the house. So I installed a vapor recovery system, a sealed gas cap and a carbon canister, and purge into the air cleaner. I also installed EFI so my fuel system is completely sealed.
Great tip, thanks!

-Patrick

1965 Fastback
289 4V
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page