1965 Fastback Project Advice - Ford Mustang Forum
Like Tree19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-08-2018 Thread Starter
Apprentice

1965 Fastback Project Advice

All-

So I just brought home my 1965 fastback. Dream car, have wanted one my whole life. It's a shell - the 289 is still in it, but frozen shut - no transmission. The interior is completely stripped, so I'm starting from scratch - clean slate. For those of you who've built one of these, what advice do you have. Where should I start? Interior? Engine rebuild? Restore to original or restomod? Lots of options, and a little overwhelming..... The guy I bought it from had done a lot of work on the body, so it's straight and rust free (though the cowl panels, upper and lower, still have to go in - that's the most complex body work left for me.....).

What would you do if you could start over/ start from scratch?

-Patrick

1965 Fastback
289 4V
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-09-2018
GT Member
Classic Member

Congrats Patrick! I have linked a Photo Journal of my project that kinda gives you my process without too much reading (and shows off my handy work)...

https://www.hotrodders.com/forum/jou...ge=1&reverse=1

I hope that is OK with the mods.

The decision to go concourse or resto-mod is for you and you alone. IMO, if the numbers of the car say it's something rare...consider maintaining it's value by keeping it original OR selling it for a good build price and buy the plain Jane model and go to town (that's what I started with - the most common mustang available in 67 - no hard feelings when it came to changing it up). If it's a pretty common OEM model, I wouldn't sweat the idea of doing whatever strikes your fancy.

At any rate, the journal starts on "the day she came home" and runs through near completion...they are never really done!

In short, my procedure was...

1.) Take it apart (take lots of pictures and always keep a roll of masking tape and a marker handy for tagging parts with notes, especially the wiring harness)
2.) work over the unibody (rust repair, add torque box and sub fram connectors).
3.) add suspension (it's a good day when the unibody rolls again, consider the Shelby Drop)
4.) pre-fit all the sheet metal and tweek where needed.
5.) Paint engine bay and under carriage.
6.) Install drive train (and just try to resist driving it down the street with no glass, fenders seats (seatbelts) bumpers, doors hood, mufflers, etc, etc - I couldn't resist!)
7.) Paint the car.
8.) Touch up engine bay and undercarriage without messing up exterior paint.
9.) Do the interior while adding the trim and chrome to the outside.

If you are anything like me...

10.) Blow motor up.
11.) Replace motor.
12.) Blow up tranny
13.) Rebuild tranny, Blow up tranny, Rebuild tranny, Blow up tranny, Rebuild tranny,Blow up tranny (it was a lemon AOD).
14.) Convert to 5 speed manual.
15.) Put miles on the car without working on it every month.
16.) New tires after 10K miles.
17.) Put more miles on it when the sun is shinning...smile!

Enjoy it if you can, muscle cars are not for everyone.

Edit: one thing I might do different...Remember.... A 289 is small, a modern 302 is not as small, stroking the motor helps, add computer controls to the mix and your getting there, but a stroked 351 in my 67 would have been better. Not sure how one would fit in a 65 so, remember...there is no replacement for displacement!

johnwaz3661 and TigerFan96 like this.

Ride On,
Noel

"I'll fix it or break it, Guaranteed!"

Last edited by Sick467; 10-09-2018 at 02:52 PM. Reason: 5 speed not 4 speed duh!
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-09-2018
Rookie

Congrats on the purchase.

Maybe Post some pictures so we can see exactly what you have to work with.

Number one thing is to make a plan before starting anything or buying parts. You don't want to have to do this twice. There are a lot of things to consider.

Set a budget, then expect it to double.

Consider your skill level and what you may have to hire out for. Be realistic. Some of it can be daunting.

Remember that there are plenty of people who will tell you what you're doing wrong, try to listen to the ones who help not criticise.

And above all else is your car, your dream, don't let anyone tell you otherwise. So do what you like.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk
TigerFan96 likes this.

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-09-2018
Apprentice
Classic Member

Congratulations! You already have some good advise so I will just add a few things and kind of agree with the others.
Post pictures to help us judge the project.
Do the body work first, no sense doing mechanical work and then deciding you have to pull it back out to repair/replace rusty or bent part.
Decide what you want to end up with and your budget.
If you want a Sunday driver/ garage queen, maybe you want to think of restoration.
If you want to really drive it, consider restomod with creature comforts and safety. Personally, as you seem to just have a shell, I think you have a nice blank canvas to build it the way you want.
Decide how much money you want to spend and know that you will run WAY over that budget.
Decide what you can do on your own but don't short yourself. There are probably a lot of things you don't know how to do....only because you haven't done them yet. Don't get too over your head but don't be afraid to step out of your comfort zone.
Here is my own 65 build
https://www.facebook.com/65gtmustang/
TigerFan96 likes this.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-09-2018
PONY Member

Garage
As the previous members said, it's you car and you can decide if you want a screaming muscle car or a classy daily driver. My '66 came to me in boxes so I had to make the choice to upgrade to a v8 or not. Since everything seemed to fit, I opted for the daily driver. It's a coupe with L6 and 4 speed manual. All the interior was stripped and some of the trim/body pieces were missing. I've finished most of the re-assembly and the interior but still have to finish up on some minor body work.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	interior3.JPG
Views:	61
Size:	421.8 KB
ID:	606215   Click image for larger version

Name:	final look.JPG
Views:	71
Size:	945.3 KB
ID:	606217  
TigerFan96 likes this.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-09-2018
Apprentice

Garage
Congrats, The '65 Fastback is a nice starting point. At this point, you definitely have a clean slate. I'd opt for making a nice driver out of it, as you will get to driving it faster than trying to make a numbers matching, Concours style restoration out of it. I've got a barn find '65 Coupe, and I got it running, and have been upgrading ever since. Here's the catch: anything I've done, I can undo, if I ever wanted to bring it back to bone stock. Just take the advice given to you by so many others already, make it yours, do some upgrades to make it more enjoyable, and get out there and drive it! Good luck on your quest.
TigerFan96 likes this.
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-09-2018
PONY Member

I'd do all the dis-assembly and chemically dip the body to remove all paint and rust and then do the metal work to replace all rusted and damaged pieces of sheet metal, then body work for the finishing touches, then go to the engine, then the transmission, rebuilding each then paint and lastly interior and final assembly of all components with the suspension and brakes with all new components. If you have a crew working on the car, several steps can be done simultaneously, if you are doing it all yourself, you need to work it in steps. That's how I generally tackle a project for myself or for a client.
Also, buy or build a rotisserie, it makes life good, you won't be sitting it on stands or hanging it from the rafters to get to the things you need to.
TigerFan96 likes this.
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-09-2018
GT Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Interior is missing, trans is missing, engine is rust seized. This car is a perfect restomod candidate with no guilt. No blue ribbon concourse quality car is ever gonna happen here no matter how good it turns out. Given the time and money it will take to find all the date correct missing parts and have them reconditioned or replicated just isn't a doable project for us middle class guys. So, after you've gotten the body punched out, put lots of up tp date modern goodies in it and melt some tread.

130 total pounds of Pitbull ruled by 8 pounds of cat.
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-09-2018 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Thanks, that's some impressive work! Luckily the previous owner did most of the cutting and replacement of the rusty parts. It even came with new upper and lower cowl panels, with the old ones already out....
HuntingKy likes this.

-Patrick

1965 Fastback
289 4V
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-09-2018 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabidrabbit74 View Post
Congrats on the purchase.

Maybe Post some pictures so we can see exactly what you have to work with.

Number one thing is to make a plan before starting anything or buying parts. You don't want to have to do this twice. There are a lot of things to consider.

Set a budget, then expect it to double.

Consider your skill level and what you may have to hire out for. Be realistic. Some of it can be daunting.

Remember that there are plenty of people who will tell you what you're doing wrong, try to listen to the ones who help not criticise.

And above all else is your car, your dream, don't let anyone tell you otherwise. So do what you like.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk
Thanks, great advice. That's what I'm working on now, planning what I want and then figuring out step by step how to get it done, in what order, projected costs, etc. I'm not in a hurry - my son is 12, so we've got several years together in the garage ahead of us! I'll try to post some pictures over the weekend.
rabidrabbit74 likes this.

-Patrick

1965 Fastback
289 4V
MACH I Member
Classic Member

Garage
My advice is to buy the book,"How to Restore Your Mustang". It's the copy with the red Mustang on the front with green shrubs behind it. By Donald Farr and Larry Hobbs. I used it years ago. Wrote my notes down in the back and loaned it out and never got it back. I bought another copy recently as I'm going through an old '63 Falcon convertible. If you're interested, I went through and posted my progress on here years ago on a thread I labeled,"Starting My Resurrection". Check it out. It may help. I don't know where you're located but parts for the early cars are easy to get and the cars are pretty simple. I love my old fastback.
TigerFan96 and rabidrabbit74 like this.

Old and in the way.
Rookie

If someone needs, here is a complete 1965 Mustang Fastback body shell link: https://www.ebay.com/itm/323592788269
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sick467 View Post
Congrats Patrick! I have linked a Photo Journal of my project that kinda gives you my process without too much reading (and shows off my handy work)...

https://www.hotrodders.com/forum/jou...ge=1&reverse=1
That car would look great with the right wheels and exhaust on it and take off the front and rear spoilers (they spoil it lol)
Good start there, well done so far.
SHELBY GT 350 Member

Garage
For a shell with no interior? I'd go full restomod on that. I'd start by putting it on a frame machine and checking that everything is straight, and reinforce anything that looks weak or distorted.

Then I'd put in a stroked small block with a roller cam: https://blueprintengines.com/collect...block-bp3474ct

2005 4.0 MT dual exhaust GT mufflers GT suspension and wheels
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-17-2018 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Thanks. "Frame machine"...? Local body shop?

I'm definitely going resto-mod, but heavy on the "Resto".. Dual master cylinder, disc brakes, three point seat belts, etc... Probably going to update the steering, not sure what direction to go yet though. For the engine, I'll have the original 289 bored out and probably swap the cam. Been doing a lot of reading and research on cam/heads/transmission/rear end optimization. (Open to suggestions here!). Here are some pics, in my low-light garage (sorry....). Yes, the paint on the doors does not match the rest..... Going to need to strip it all at some point anyway, but at least it has something keeping the rust at bay while I work on the rest.....

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5198.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	977.7 KB
ID:	607489   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5201.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	1.02 MB
ID:	607491  
johnwaz3661 and rabidrabbit74 like this.

-Patrick

1965 Fastback
289 4V
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page